Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2021, 12:45 pm

Speaking of Grass roots footie, the title race in Spain looks pretty close with the "Big 4" facing each other this weekend ........... could be "all change" at the top or "same old same old"
Eye tie top four race is also getting very interesting with the "Old Lady" just about hanging in there but looking very nervously at who's behind ..... stattos tip Napoli to gatecrash the party :-$

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 6, 2021, 2:33 pm

In League 1 the automatic promotion spots plus relegation places are already sorted.
Sunday's fixtures see just the final play off place to be decided with 3 teams in the frame.
Team, Played, Points.
Portsmouth 45 72
Oxford 45 71
Charlton 45 71
All 3 teams are at home on the final day...
Charlton v Hull
Oxford v Burton
Portsmouth v Accrington Stanley
None of their opponents have anything to play for so Pompey appear to be in pole position.
A win will ensure their place in the play offs.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 6, 2021, 2:38 pm

The top of league 2 remains quite interesting Zid .. alas Scunny not involved other than in a meaningless mid table team affair against Stevenage.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2021, 3:05 pm

Zidane wrote:
May 6, 2021, 2:33 pm
In League 1 the automatic promotion spots plus relegation places are already sorted.
Sunday's fixtures see just the final play off place to be decided with 3 teams in the frame.
Team, Played, Points.
Portsmouth 45 72
Oxford 45 71
Charlton 45 71
All 3 teams are at home on the final day...
Charlton v Hull
Oxford v Burton
Portsmouth v Accrington Stanley
None of their opponents have anything to play for so Pompey appear to be in pole position.
A win will ensure their place in the play offs.
Blunderland fans (if they had any) would be praying that Pompey are NOT involved in the play-offs as their record is next to disastrous when playing Pompey :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 6, 2021, 3:14 pm

Yes, indeed, DM... the final round of fixtures in League 2 take place on Saturday.
Cheltenham are up but not yet champions.
Two out of Cambridge, Bolton and Morecambe will go up automatically.
Forest Green, Exeter and Salford going for the last play off spot with Exeter having by far the best goal difference and a home fixture.

Team, Played, Points, Opponents.
Cheltenham 45 79 Harrogate H
Cambridge 45 77 Grimsby H
Bolton 45 76 Crawley A
Morecambe 45 75 Bradford H
Newport 45 72 Southend A
Tranmere 45 72 Colchester H
Forest Green 45 70 Oldham A
Exeter 45 69 Barrow H
Salford 45 68 Leyton O. H

Also in the National League Sutton Utd lost their advantage losing 3-2 at Notts County last night.
Torquay now have the advantage but don't rule out in form Stockport.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2021, 3:37 pm

Also in the National League Sutton Utd lost their advantage losing 3-2 at Notts County last night.
Torquay now have the advantage but don't rule out in form Stockport.

err that was the night BEFORE last zid ...... I was keeping tabs on it during the Man C v PSG game

It was 2 - 2 after about an hour, then Notts Co went down to 10 men after a red card and I expected Sutton to steamroller to another win. County held out though and got a pen that they scored in 5th min of injury time

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 7, 2021, 9:35 am

As well as the finale to the English Football League, this weekend also sees the Scottish Cup semi finals to be played at Hampden Park.
Dundee United v Hibernian (Saturday)
St Johnstone v St Mirren (Sunday)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 7, 2021, 12:50 pm

Being as you introduced Jock football onto the grass roots Zid i thought i would share some info that is of greater importance .. no no no not that i lanced a boil on my arse this morning ..but ....

As posted on another thread .. at the final whistle of tomorrows final Scunny game the hallowed turf at Glanford park will be removed and auctioned off to raise money for players next season ... for the close season potatoes will be planted and when harvested should cover the costs of a world class striker.. season ticket sales have been brisk , alas not for the 21/22 football season in L2 (thats L2 Grimsby) but for the avid local potato growing enthusiasts and the thousands of fans who think watching spuds grow is exiting ..... compared to this L2 SUFC campaign it would be a close run thing to decide.

DM predicting a score draw for tomorrows meaningless fixture ..

DM

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 9, 2021, 10:42 am

In the Championship Derby survived relegation as a late penalty gave them the 3-3 draw against Sheffield Wednesday they needed to survive.
But for a long time it looked as though Rotherham would survive the drop after taking an early lead but when there was an 88th minute-equaliser for Cardiff, it was Wednesday who were staying up as they led 3-2.
Exciting or what......
But almost immediately, Owls defender Chey Dunkley brought down sub Kamil Jozwick in the box and Waghorn kept his composure to beat Keiren Westwood from the spot and ensure it was Wayne Rooney's Rams who would be staying up
Note the Derby game was running about 10 minutes behind Rotherhams due to a lengthy injury break in the first half .
Wycombe won their final game 3-0 at Middlesborough but it was not enough.

In League 2 Bolton grabbed the last automatic promotion place winning 4-1 at Crawley which means Morecambe have to settle for the play offs despite winning 2-0.
Cheltenham go up as Champions with Cambridge getting the second automatic play off spot after both sides won their games yesterday.
Forest Green grabbed the last play off slot. Exeter were surprisingly held 1-1 at home to Barrow but even victory would not have been enough in the end.
Last edited by Zidane on May 9, 2021, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 9, 2021, 11:19 am

Zidane wrote:
May 7, 2021, 9:35 am
As well as the finale to the English Football League, this weekend also sees the Scottish Cup semi finals to be played at Hampden Park.
Dundee United v Hibernian (Saturday)
St Johnstone v St Mirren (Sunday)
scsf1_646-233.jpg
Hibs and St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup Final. I would bet on The Saints here.
scsf2_646-233.jpg
Last edited by tamada on May 10, 2021, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 10, 2021, 9:31 am

The only thing to be decided in League 1 was the last play off place which went to Oxford after Portsmouth were surprisingly beaten at home.
Charlton beat league champions Hull but it was not enough.
Oxford 4 Burton 0
Charlton 1 Hull 0
Portsmouth 0 Accrington Stanley 1

In Scotland St. Johnstone will play Hibernian in the Cup Final after the Perth side beat St. Mirren 2-1.
St Mirren were a bit unlucky and could have been a couple of goals in front before St Johnstone scored two in two minutes in the second half.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 12, 2021, 8:35 am

Last night saw the start of the Nicola Sturgeon Scottish League play offs... the results...
SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP
PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL
Airdrieonians 3
Cove Rangers 2
AET

Morton 3
Montrose1
AET

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONE
PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL
Dumbarton 1
Stranraer 0
FT

Edinburgh City 2
Elgin 2
FT

But I have a couple of questions for anyone with any knowledge of the Scottish game... so I guess it's down to you tam :D

1.At full time the score was Morton 2 Montrose 1 yet extra time was played with Morton scoring a third in the 120th minute as Montrose pressed for an equaliser.
I thought extra time was only played when scores were level ??
BUT
2.Edinburgh v Elgin ended up 2-2 yet no extra time was played ??

Is this the start of Scottish devolution of our great game?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2021, 10:46 am

Zidane wrote:
May 12, 2021, 8:35 am
Last night saw the start of the Nicola Sturgeon Scottish League play offs... the results...
SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP
PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL
Airdrieonians 3
Cove Rangers 2
AET

Morton 3
Montrose1
AET

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONE
PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL
Dumbarton 1
Stranraer 0
FT

Edinburgh City 2
Elgin 2
FT

But I have a couple of questions for anyone with any knowledge of the Scottish game... so I guess it's down to you tam :D

1.At full time the score was Morton 2 Montrose 1 yet extra time was played with Morton scoring a third in the 120th minute as Montrose pressed for an equalizer.
I thought extra time was only played when scores were level ??
BUT
2.Edinburgh v Elgin ended up 2-2 yet no extra time was played ??

Is this the start of Scottish devolution of our great game?
Semi-finals are played over 2-legs.

1. The game was played over two legs and at FT, the aggregate score was tied at 3:3. They went to ET and if Morton hadn't got their late winner and taken it 4:3, it would have gone to penalties.

2. Edinburgh won the first leg 0:1 so are aggregate 3:2 winners.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 12, 2021, 11:31 am

Ah, OK, my bad. I didn't realize the first leg had already been played as the aggregate score wasn't shown in the results.
I thought the games were maybe just a one off.

I see tonight it's Raith Rovers v Dundee in the Premiership play off... quite a few years since Raith were in the Premiership/top flight .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2021, 1:53 pm

Zidane wrote:
May 12, 2021, 11:31 am
Ah, OK, my bad. I didn't realize the first leg had already been played as the aggregate score wasn't shown in the results.

I see tonight it's Raith Rovers v Dundee in the Premiership play off... quite a few years since Raith were in the Premiership.
I was disappointed at Cove Rangers missing the jump to the Scottish Championship. They won the Highland League in 2018/19 and after success in the playoffs to get into League Two, they were first-time champions in 2019/20, making the promotion to League One. Airdrie on the other hand are a bit like Fulham and the Baggies when it comes to in-and-out of the top flight. However Cove Rangers have the excellent, former Hearts star Paul Hartley as manager so I can only see them improving. With a 56% win record he lies 4th behind Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in career win rates.

Unless of course he's tempted away by them bright lights at Glanford Park.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2021, 2:09 pm

tamada wrote:
May 12, 2021, 1:53 pm
Zidane wrote:

I see tonight it's Raith Rovers v Dundee in the Premiership play off... quite a few years since Raith were in the Premiership.
I was disappointed at Cove Rangers missing the jump to the Scottish Championship. They won the Highland League in 2018/19 and after success in the playoffs to get into League Two, they were first-time champions in 2019/20, making the promotion to League One. Airdrie on the other hand are a bit like Fulham and the Baggies when it comes to in-and-out of the top flight. However Cove Rangers have the excellent, former Hearts star Paul Hartley as manager so I can only see them improving. With a 56% win record he lies 4th behind Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in career win rates.

What on Earth has it come to with so much forum bandwidth wasted on football North of the border ...

Whilst i am hoping for a new manager (and chairman) at my beloved Scunthorpe FC never never No more Jocks at Scunny Tam ..Stuart FCALL Mcall was enough.. a disaster.

Im predicting Scunny will stick with local lad Niel Cox ... a smashing fella but IMO not the way forward ... with all but 3 first team players released , no money to buy anything half decent im guessing a bleak season and after a terrible start to the next season 21-22 Chairman Swann will sack him...and bosh back to square one managerless and in a relegation dog fight.

DM being realistic.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2021, 2:30 pm

^ is that Neil 'Sucks' Cox by any chance?

Asking for a friend.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 12, 2021, 3:33 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 12, 2021, 2:09 pm
tamada wrote:
May 12, 2021, 1:53 pm
Zidane wrote:

What on Earth has it come to with so much forum bandwidth wasted on football North of the border ...

Whilst i am hoping for a new manager (and chairman) at my beloved Scunthorpe FC never never No more Jocks at Scunny Tam ..Stuart FCALL Mcall was enough.. a disaster.

Im predicting Scunny will stick with local lad Niel Cox ... a smashing fella but IMO not the way forward ... with all but 3 first team players released , no money to buy anything half decent im guessing a bleak season and after a terrible start to the next season 21-22 Chairman Swann will sack him...and bosh back to square one managerless and in a relegation dog fight.

DM being realistic.
U should buy the team mate with all your dosh or plan B pick a real team to support, life's too short and scunnie will never been anything to shout about. Zidane can provide you with best team to support depending on your special needs

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2021, 4:35 pm

I was on the verge of buying SUFC in late 2019 ..alas covid struck and i had to cancel my planned take over ..that reminds me they never returned my 10 quid deposit. !!

Claret n blue all way thro .. no other team for me DR .. its called loyalty... im a tad busy at the mo no time to explain that to you pops ..

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 12, 2021, 9:38 pm

Why the interest in Sheffield United?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “World Sports”