Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 15, 2021, 5:53 am

Do you have back up teams like 747? When the Evertons screw up, he can count on the Tranmere Rovers or the Hull City Tigers to take him out of the nil-nil doldrums. I thought West Ham United owned the claret and sky blue colours? Who wore them first? Jeez, Aston Villa wears claret and blue too: 'When did Aston Villa start wearing claret and blue?
Aston Villa's kit changed a number of times early in the club's history, sometimes quite radically, until 1888 when the Football League was founded. It was at this time that claret and blue was established as the official club colours.''

Maybe Scunthorpe should return to the all-red colours of Liverpool: 'Up until 1959 the team had worn claret and blue, followed by claret shirts with blue sleeves in an ambitious attempt to emulate the success of Aston Villa. When in the early Sixties the club was only two places away from promotion to the top flight they felt their status deserved a new look. White shirts with a blue and old gold trim were introduced. It was felt that they would be better picked out under floodlights. The old gold was dropped in in the mid 1960’s and under manager Fred Goodwin became all white for a time with blue trim. All-red colours, with some white added at various times were en vogue for over a decade from 1968. In the early days Scunthorpe had tried to emulate the successful team of the day Aston Villa; now they looked to the all-conquering Liverpool.'

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 15, 2021, 7:10 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
November 15, 2021, 5:53 am
Do you have back up teams like 747? When the Evertons screw up, he can count on the Tranmere Rovers or the Hull City Tigers to take him out of the nil-nil doldrums. I thought West Ham United owned the claret and sky blue colours? Who wore them first? Jeez, Aston Villa wears claret and blue too: 'When did Aston Villa start wearing claret and blue?
Aston Villa's kit changed a number of times early in the club's history, sometimes quite radically, until 1888 when the Football League was founded. It was at this time that claret and blue was established as the official club colours.''

Maybe Scunthorpe should return to the all-red colours of Liverpool: 'Up until 1959 the team had worn claret and blue, followed by claret shirts with blue sleeves in an ambitious attempt to emulate the success of Aston Villa. When in the early Sixties the club was only two places away from promotion to the top flight they felt their status deserved a new look. White shirts with a blue and old gold trim were introduced. It was felt that they would be better picked out under floodlights. The old gold was dropped in in the mid 1960’s and under manager Fred Goodwin became all white for a time with blue trim. All-red colours, with some white added at various times were en vogue for over a decade from 1968. In the early days Scunthorpe had tried to emulate the successful team of the day Aston Villa; now they looked to the all-conquering Liverpool.'
You have been studying LYM ..well done =D> =D> ..alas you forgot Burnley who also wear Claret n Blue.

Scunny were most definately NOT the first team to wear Claret n Blue .. that accolade i believe should go to Villa but its a close run thing between them and West Ham... quite possibly approx the same time.

I myself remember the Iron wearing Red and playing at the Old Show Ground in the town center now a Sainsburys .. i stood in the huge home end (Donny rd End) as not enough money to go in the cantilever stand they built for the hoypoloy... Scunny were the first club in the UK to move to a small but perfectly formed purpose built ground Glandford park which is located on the outskirts of the town at a retail park near the M181 motorway and remain there to this day.

It warms the chilly icy mornings here in Udon knowing that you have such a keen interest in my beloved football team ..and NO i do not have a second BACK UP club like 747 with Emerton and Tranmere .. lets just say sacre bleu for any Scunny fan to mention Hull Donny Lincoln and by far the most worstest Grimsby.

Up the Iron

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 15, 2021, 7:48 am

Scunny first wore claret and blue in 1904, after merging with near neighbours North Lindsay Utd and adopting the latter team's colours and becoming (for a while) Scunthorpe and Lindsay United.

In the same way as some less notable teams already mentioned chose claret and blue hoping to emulate the success of Aston Villa at the time, with North Lindsey United fresh from beating Christiano Ronaldo's formerly invincible Steaua Plovdiv in the 1898 Fairs Cup Final at Ibrox (Google it), the Scunny bored.. oops, board said, "We'll be having some of that" and the rest as they say is totally, mind-numbingly, irrelevant BS.

There is an unfounded rumor that the claret and blue was initially the inspiration of a former Scunny generalisimo's morbid fascination with all things Scottish and in particular the colors of Scottish teams Hearts of Midlothian (maroon) and Glasgow Rangers (light blue). Unfortunately his mum didn't use Persil in the brand new Hoovermatic clothes washing engine and it ended up looking like what it is now: rather anaemic.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 15, 2021, 7:50 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Do you have back up teams like 747
As DM suggests, a true football fan doesnt have a back up team. It might work when your team is nondescript and lacking in personality I suppose.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 15, 2021, 7:53 am

^ Up the Fort!

...and Peterhead.

...and Accrington.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 15, 2021, 10:32 am

samster wrote:
November 15, 2021, 7:50 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
As DM suggests, a true football fan doesnt have a back up team. It might work when your team is nondescript and lacking in personality I suppose.
Exactly, and your analysis fits the Everton squad perfectly

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 15, 2021, 3:39 pm

Of course you also have to take in the Religious divide.
Nobody from Everton would ever even consider going to Celtic, in the same way no Liverpool player would ever consider being associated with Rangers. Its just respect of your fanbase

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 15, 2021, 4:17 pm

I'll Bet You do have a Back Up Club Mr Monkey Here it IS.....The official Twitter account of Grimsby Town Football Club http://gtfctickets.co.uk http://gtfcstore.co.uk http://bit.ly/youtubegtfc #GTFC

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 15, 2021, 4:20 pm

tamada wrote:
November 15, 2021, 7:48 am
Scunny first wore claret and blue in 1904, after merging with near neighbours North Lindsay Utd and adopting the latter team's colours and becoming (for a while) Scunthorpe and Lindsay United.

In the same way as some less notable teams already mentioned chose claret and blue hoping to emulate the success of Aston Villa at the time, with North Lindsey United fresh from beating Christiano Ronaldo's formerly invincible Steaua Plovdiv in the 1898 Fairs Cup Final at Ibrox (Google it), the Scunny bored.. oops, board said, "We'll be having some of that" and the rest as they say is totally, mind-numbingly, irrelevant BS.

There is an unfounded rumor that the claret and blue was initially the inspiration of a former Scunny generalisimo's morbid fascination with all things Scottish and in particular the colors of Scottish teams Hearts of Midlothian (maroon) and Glasgow Rangers (light blue). Unfortunately his mum didn't use Persil in the brand new Hoovermatic clothes washing engine and it ended up looking like what it is now: rather anaemic.
Scunny first wore claret and blue in 1904, after merging with near neighbours North Lindsay Utd and adopting the latter team's colours and becoming (for a while) Scunthorpe and Lindsay United.....Isn't it Funny that Their ONLY Supporter in Thailand Didn't Know That ??

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 15, 2021, 4:22 pm

samster wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Is True Samster......Unlike The CANADIAN Hockey MOB !!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 15, 2021, 4:23 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 15, 2021, 3:39 pm
Of course you also have to take in the Religious divide.
Nobody from Everton would ever even consider going to Celtic, in the same way no Liverpool player would ever consider being associated with Rangers. Its just respect of your fanbase
What About You & Your Beloved MACKHEMS ?? :lol: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 15, 2021, 6:42 pm

We single club town/cities tend to be multi religious faith, but singular in our club faith :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 15, 2021, 6:44 pm

Something wrong with the Obits thread so I'll post here.

Bertie Auld, one of the few remaining members of Celtic's "Lisbon Lions" passed away.

RIP
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 15, 2021, 7:28 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
November 15, 2021, 10:32 am
samster wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Exactly, and your analysis fits the Everton squad perfectly
Really? I never considered that.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 16, 2021, 6:09 pm

Derby's 9 point deduction confirmed

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 16, 2021, 10:32 pm

Interesting video I came across the other day

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 19, 2021, 7:36 am

I have reported that post Statts ... tantamount to mental cruelty and images that contain retards.!!!!

Tomorrows big game has to be Mansfield Town v Scunny ... the home side have been improving lately and had a good win in the FA cup so it will be a tough day for the Iron ... Scunny have sold 750 tickets so far ( not bad for bottom of the league) and there is pay on the day so hoping they get behind the team and we can come away with a win ..

DM predicts 1- 2 for Scunny ... and i havent even had a beer yet !!

UP THE IRON , CLARET N BLUE ALL WAT THRU

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 19, 2021, 9:09 am

So, if somehow the Iron manages a draw against Jayne Mansfield Town that makes them giant killers?

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 21, 2021, 6:09 pm

They lost, Uncle T, 3-1. Scunthorpe had just over half of possession but Mansfield had more shots on target.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 21, 2021, 10:02 pm

I see that Scunthorpe ?? ( Correct Spelling ) ARE Still the STRONGEST Team in all 4 Divisions....

Return to “World Sports”