English Premier League 2019/20

General sports news and discussions.
Galee
udonmap.com

Re: English Premier League 2019/20

Post by Galee » January 1, 2020, 8:31 pm

Anyone else experiencing poor picture quality on True?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 1, 2020, 8:42 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 1, 2020, 8:17 pm
19:45
BreakingDISALLOWED GOAL

Burnley 0-0 Aston Villa

NO GOAL.

I don't want to play any more. Ridiculous.

Wesley, who went up for a header before the ball was cleared out initially, is ruled to be offside. He isn't. Shambles.

Only took 5 mins of the weekends fixtures for footie to be overshadowed by computer games again
Couldnt agree more statts the game as we know it is being destroyed by technology , it really does spoil the overall enjoyment whist watching on the telly .. thank gord theres no VAR in the lower leagues where it makes a difference to me more ..hopefully by the time Scunny get to the EPL this decade [-o< .. VAR will be long gone.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 1, 2020, 9:33 pm

Galee wrote:
January 1, 2020, 8:31 pm
Anyone else experiencing poor picture quality on True?
Fixed it. :D
Recently had True fibre installed. They fitted the new router under the TV box. Moved the TV box away from the router and everything OK. Unfortunately moved it away just in time to see the Brighton goal. :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 2, 2020, 9:10 am

Moyes on a £2 million bonus if he keeps the Hammers up... more if he gets them further up the table.

Good start yesterday.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 2, 2020, 9:54 am

I think most would agree that goal line technology is great at deciding whether a ball has FULLY (using the law) crossed the line or not, although when it comes down to a millimeter or so, there are some who would prefer a human decision only and perhaps the ‘merit’ of the goal.
But VAR is causing problems, particularly with off-sides.
Am I correct in believing that ‘gaps’ (i.e. a space between one player and another) were once used to decide?
Now we’ve got legs, arms, heads, armpits, feet etc. all being considered.
Surely it would be a lot simpler if one just used the torso as the main part of the body to decide? I’m fairly confident this was essentially what linesman looked for in the past –i.e. when the ball was played forward, was there an overlap of the torsos of an attacking player and defender (not offside) or daylight between the two(offside). Forget about other parts of the body and whether they were forward or back.
Yes, use VAR, if necessary, to help decide if there was a ’gap’ or not.
The above, to my mind, would simplify matters a great deal.
(I’ll leave my thoughts on the apparent removal of ‘intent’ from handball situations to another day!).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 2, 2020, 10:59 am

I recall the very basic definition of offside as being when no opposing team player apart from the GK is between the recipient of the ball and the goal line at the moment the ball is played forward. I thought maybe things may have changed since 1908 when I last played so did a google search and found the following.
off1.jpg
Same same my understanding.
off2.jpg
Scenario 1- Interfering with play
Scenario 2 - Interfering with an opponent
Scenario 3 - Gaining an advantage by being in that position

Yes, no worries and I think that was introduced to make the game more exciting.
off3.jpg
I think that one is wrong as it's got nothing to do with where the offside player is when he/she receives the ball, it is their position at the moment when the ball is played forward.

It's all defined by clear space between players and there's no reference to part of any players body.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 2, 2020, 11:07 am

Twood be interesting to see how the EPL table would stand at this moment ..IF .. VAR wasnt in use and all the disallowed goals n off sides etc were taken out the data .. thats without the red cards it has caused which also alters the course of a game hugely. I did see an estimated non VAR EPL table doing the rounds on the net but cant find only "estimated" .

IMO the off side rule needs amending if VAR stays as it is now just a shambles... and a player could be off side if hes got a semi let alone a full on boner on at the time .. its that close

Cant say it enough ..VAR .. IMO .. is the worst thing in footy since Tams countryman Stuey FA Mcall got the crazy idea he could be a manager.

Is VAR on trial or here to stay have FIFA decided this or can the Brit FA choose to use it or kick it out n just leave the goal line tech which is great.

DM

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 2, 2020, 11:34 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 2, 2020, 11:07 am
... and a player could be off side if hes got a semi let alone a full on boner on at the time .. its that close
:lol:
tamada wrote:
January 2, 2020, 10:59 am
It's all defined by clear space between players and there's no reference to part of any players body.
Is there really no further official guidance on this for VAR or, indeed, any football that doesn't use VAR?
We seem to agree on the 'space'. So, at present, a dragged leg of an attacker, overlapping with the outstretched leg of a defender would be deemed onside?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 2, 2020, 12:39 pm

More VAR interference in the Watford v Wolves game that saw Watford's Kabasele dismissed 20 minutes from time.

"Despite the controversial dismissal of Christian Kabasele - with the omnipresent, controversial VAR system playing its part - Watford resisted.

A VAR check had ruled that Kabasele should be sent off for pulling Diogo Jota rather than being booked."

Watford's Pearson on the red card, “The players felt it was harsh because of the type of contact and the proximity of team-mates.”

Wolves's Espirito Santo on the red card, “The referee saw it one way, the VAR saw it another way. The fans are not liking it and this is what worries me.”

Are there any betting shops near Stockley Park?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... akes-four/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 2, 2020, 5:33 pm

DM, it would just take 14 of the 20 Prem clubs to say "get rid" and its HISTORY in the Prem

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 2, 2020, 6:17 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 2, 2020, 5:33 pm
DM, it would just take 14 of the 20 Prem clubs to say "get rid" and its HISTORY in the Prem
Where did you get that info from Statts ??

why 14 ?? .. thats 70% against VAR ??.. and do you reckon that could be reached or some clubs may actually like the for technological route.

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 2, 2020, 6:38 pm

info from ESPN two or three days ago. (more than 2/3)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 4, 2020, 8:02 am

as a weekly epl viewer , it is not the var review that disturbs me , it is the quality football delivered , seems like they all are overthinking/playing it , pass,pass,pass and more passes without any real goal danger at all , so many passes and so little goal attempts , it looks like at present they all need to almost run with the ball in their pockets over the goal line ,boring ,boring games , many teams guilty of this , and not mentioning these last awful passes in front of goal , these overpaid players unable to give a decent last successful pass reaching a team mate ?....or the shots at goal looking more like a back pass at the goalie?
and what disturbs me most is these ridiculous time wasting substitutions in the last minutes ...
some needed extra rules to me , all injuries (comedians) carried out of the field and resume play , no more of those last minute substitutions , fe after 80th minute no more substitutions no matter what , and maybe best of all a stop the clock timer when the game gets interrupted(as with basketball) , so no more time wasting at all...
and yes the var is sometimes disturbing but correct most of the times ....my humble opinion .. ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 4, 2020, 8:32 am

kopkei wrote:
January 4, 2020, 8:02 am
as a weekly epl viewer , it is not the var review that disturbs me , it is the quality football delivered , seems like they all are overthinking/playing it , pass,pass,pass and more passes without any real goal danger at all , so many passes and so little goal attempts , it looks like at present they all need to almost run with the ball in their pockets over the goal line ,boring ,boring games , many teams guilty of this , and not mentioning these last awful passes in front of goal , these overpaid players unable to give a decent last successful pass reaching a team mate ?....or the shots at goal looking more like a back pass at the goalie?
and what disturbs me most is these ridiculous time wasting substitutions in the last minutes ...
some needed extra rules to me , all injuries (comedians) carried out of the field and resume play , no more of those last minute substitutions , fe after 80th minute no more substitutions no matter what , and maybe best of all a stop the clock timer when the game gets interrupted(as with basketball) , so no more time wasting at all...
and yes the var is sometimes disturbing but correct most of the times ....my humble opinion .. ;)
Some good points n ideas there .. especially ref the substitutions and time waiting and i ttoally agree with the comedic Oscar winning actions of some who fall like theyve been popped by a sniper then back from the dead 2 mins later ..

I just dont like the VAR .. yes its correct most times but it has made the margins so small in some ways like the off side rule ..before VAR the linesman naked eye ..now its down to the tip of a nose or millimeters. VAR inferers in the games flow to much and a big gripe is its use in red cards etc ..

VAR should only be in use as goal line technology and to judge other similar ball in or out of play , the game as we know it is being taken over by the over use of UNESSESARY TECNOLOGY .

Having been brought up watching lower league football and supporting Scunthorpe Utd who havent YET made it as high as the EPL IMO the ENGLISH style of play (not inc Scotland very different from the English game totally lower level)) is the most high tempo and entertaining to watch , you get some great end to end matches and also now n then some dull boring ones ..but the style of play is again IMO the way the game should be played .unlike in Italy for instance , the Spanish top league is the nearest to the EPL but still lagging slightly.

BTW Belgian Football is ok .. but their beer is better !!

DM

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 4, 2020, 10:42 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 4, 2020, 8:32 am
..before VAR the linesman naked eye ..
Yes, and I suggest the linesman judged on the upper body, not bits of leg etc. Thus, my previous post.
kopkei wrote:
a stop the clock timer when the game gets interrupted

Wasn't there some argument for making the game 60 minutes and, as you suggest, having added time for every stoppage (injuries, waiting for free kicks to be taken etc.) on the pitch and the ball going out of play. I thought they tested it successfully in some trial games. It would stop some of the issues you've highlighted.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 4, 2020, 10:53 am

Silly me, I wrote that completely wrong. I meant, of course, that the clock runs for ONLY 60 minutes, when the ball is actually in play.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2020, 11:04 am

Liverpool v Everton Sunday. It's the only Derby in the world where the home fans fly in to watch the game and the away fans walk to it .
UP THE TOFFEES

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 4, 2020, 11:07 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 4, 2020, 10:42 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 4, 2020, 8:32 am
..before a the linesman naked eye ..
Yes, and I suggest the linesman judged on the upper body, not bits of leg etc. Thus, my previous post.
kopkei wrote:
a stop the clock timer when the game gets interrupted

Wasn't there some argument for making the game 60 minutes and, as you suggest, having added time for every stoppage (injuries, waiting for free kicks to be taken etc.) on the pitch and the ball going out of play. I thought they tested it successfully in some trial games. It would stop some of the issues you've highlighted.
Sounds like a great idea ........ goal scored .......... stop the clock while they celebrate =D>

Some clown in Stokley Park says 'ang on a mo the centre forward's nose was offside by half a mm 71 passes before the goal was scored so we will have to spend 15 mins working out what time we have to reset the clock to =;

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 4, 2020, 11:10 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 4, 2020, 10:53 am
Silly me, I wrote that completely wrong. I meant, of course, that the clock runs for ONLY 60 minutes, when the ball is actually in play.
That could morph into a whole new ball game , stopping the clock like do in American footy etc .. and for goal celebrations , hair restyling and make up adjustment ..
I think the 90 mins is ok but refs should be more accurate with time added on or as it used too be called Fergie time .. adding 10 - 15 plus minutes should be common place with all the time waisting that goes on .. as the more tired the players get more mistakes more goals more entertainment ..these guys are paid enuff more that enuff to put a bit of OT in on a normal shift as DM used to have to do on Scunny steelworks.

All this said STILL WOULDNT stop the players , managers n fans whinging ..

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 4, 2020, 11:14 am

Many times in last 5 or 10 mins fake injuries are NOT to waste time, they are to give a defense that is under constant pressure 1 or 2 mins to get their breath back & re organise before the next onslaught

Return to “World Sports”