MLB 2021 All-Stars Game Ratings Up

General sports news and discussions.
Shado
udonmap.com

Re: MLB 2021 All-Stars Game Ratings Up

Post by Shado » July 23, 2021, 8:19 am

LYM wrote:
Most softball games are very low scoring.
I played in both the fast pitch and slow pitch leagues and yes, the fast pitch games are low scoring. I played slow pitch in Texas and it can very high scoring. I found baseball pitchers easier to hit than good softball pitchers. I think the required reaction times between a baseball pitch and a (fast pitch) soft ball are about the same, even with the difference in distance from mound to home plate. but I could pick up the release of the pitch much better with the baseball. A really good softball pitcher is extremely hard to hit.

A nice thing about softball leagues is that you can stay active for quite a long time. I played into my late 30s and the worst injury I had was sprained ankle. I had friends who played into their mid to late 40s. For those of us who grew up playing baseball in various school and municipal leagues soft ball provided a great way to extend our playing days.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 23, 2021, 9:00 am

Slow pitch certainly extended my playing career. I could never hit soft ball pitchers who brought heat well at all. I agree it was easier to hit fast hardball pitchers. Last year I made the mistake of throwing a lacrosse ball against a school wall to test my throwing and catching skills. I discovered those skills are long gone. I didn't catch anything, and I could not reach the wall when I tried pitching. So, I moved closer, but it was a lost cause. I've kept my glove but I've given up the game I love.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 23, 2021, 9:13 am

Ha! ..... pussies. :D

I played my last season of competitive baseball aged 55. Batted a shade under .500, and fielded (1B) in the high 900s.

Team made the playoffs. 👍

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 23, 2021, 9:22 am

Those are all good numbers JS. I would have liked to have played longer but work commitments (travel) took priority. Those who are able to take advantage of local organized sports programs benefit greatly by staying active and competitive. Good for mind and body.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 23, 2021, 9:48 am

jackspratt wrote:
July 23, 2021, 9:13 am
Ha! ..... pussies. :D

I played my last season of competitive baseball aged 55. Batted a shade under .500, and fielded (1B) in the high 900s.

Team made the playoffs. 👍
What the heck? Those aren't very good numbers for a T-ball player.

I pitched because I was one of the few guys who could throw the ball across the plate consistently. I had a great drop ball, and a pretty good fastball. I hit the ball to all fields and rarely struck out. I would have liked to have pitched sidearm to you if you hit right-handed. I never htt anyone except one guy. I was always afraid to throw inside for fear of beaning someone. I could hit left or right handed.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 23, 2021, 9:55 am

Shado wrote:
July 23, 2021, 9:22 am
Those are all good numbers JS. I would have liked to have played longer but work commitments (travel) took priority. Those who are able to take advantage of local organized sports programs benefit greatly by staying active and competitive. Good for mind and body.
When the kids came along, it was fun to teach them how to play. My son was a power hitter and could hit the ball much, much further than me....even when he was five! I mean when he was 12...16. You're right, baseball was a great way to keep fit. I used to play Canadian football with the high school kids and janitors until about six years ago.

Return to “World Sports”