Euro 2008 (Football/Soccer)

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 8:35 am

Typical.... :D I missed what was obviously the highlight of the tournament so far (Holland v Italy). The French game lulled me into such a deep slumber that I slept through it.... :D

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » June 10, 2008, 9:40 am

stattointhailand wrote:Big problem for the Dutch is that they are without Robben for at least two games, and he, in my opinion, was the one guy that stood a chance of "unlocking" the Italian defence. ](*,)
Seemed like the Dutch "CRASHED" the Italian wall.

Have to admit that the referee was :? :? :? :?

First goal from Van nistelroy was.....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 10, 2008, 10:19 am

Damn ..... this Van Basten guy is good :lol: Lets the Ities spend weeks planning to stop Robben, and then plays a different formation altogether.

Bob, thanks for the Supersport tip, watched the Romania/France game last night, and had French commentary instead of Thai (bloomin' typical :confused: )

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 10:28 am

Yeah Statto, Supersports are broadcasting in 3 languages (3 different channels) English, French & Portuguese. I guess it depends which channel your cable/sat provider decides to give you :D :D I watched with an English commentary, sadly that did nothing to improve the quality of the game - which I thought was pretty dire... :(

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » June 10, 2008, 10:38 am

Perhaps the Dutch will change their ideas over Van Basten now?

They almost fired him after the last world cup.

They told him that this was his last tournament.

(although this is only their first match, more to come...)

it was a great game in any case. :D :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 10:57 am

cookie wrote:Perhaps the Dutch will change their ideas over Van Basten now?
Too late I think Cookie. I am sure that I heard that he already has a job coaching Ajax (where he started his career) next season. I believe that another Dutch coach (can't remember his name) has already been appointed...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 10, 2008, 11:58 am

Just hope that the Dutch keep playing the same for the rest of the competition.
I remember the Argies starting off a world cup tourny with some of the best football i've seen, and 6 goals as well, only to play very mediocre almost boreing stuff after that.

Congrats to Henk/Jan and the rest of the Dutch guys in Udon :guiness: :drunk: \:D/

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » June 11, 2008, 12:54 am

Spain just hammered the Russians 4-1.

I was able to get the commentary in French... Oh well it is a start. Not an, "OOOOOOOOOoooooooo na khap" in sight.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 11, 2008, 1:07 am

Im an Aussie , so can someone pls tell why England are not playing in this fantastic tournament .

Lights blue touch paper and stands clear :razz:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » June 11, 2008, 1:42 am

Wazza - I think they will give you 2 words... Steve McLaren.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 11, 2008, 10:16 am

Quite simple Wazza - they were not good enough :( :(
The Premiership might be the most attractive league to watch & produce the best looking football but,sadly, nearly all the better players are foreign. How many English players play in foreign leagues??? Very, very few. With the money available to the successful clubs & the quick turn over of managers who "fail", even slightly, there is little incentive to produce home grown talent as it is easier to buy a name from abroad. Even the lower leagues are full of, pretty average, foreigners.
It will be interesting to see if the new manager can produce a team that gets them into the World Cup in 2010. If he can't then it certainly says more about the quality of the players he is working with than his management skills.
Yet another factor....top 4 clubs in the Premiership...
Man U - Scottish Manager
Ars - French Manager
Liverpool - Spanish Manager
Chelsea - who knows :D but I very much doubt if will be English...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 11, 2008, 10:31 am

I have to say that I watched most of the Italy v Holland game the other night in a bit of a daze (not drunken). Early on in the game, with the score still 0 - 0, Ruud v N gets put through. He rounds the keeper, only to have his ankles "touched" on the six yard line. There's me (having seen it dozens of times), waiting for him to go down, but he doesn't .......... why?

I had to look at the replay to check that I wasn't seeing things, and then it all became clear:-

Just as Ruud was about to go down, the Angel of the Lord came down and spoke to him.

ANGEL :- Ruud my son, for all your life you have been diving around the penalty box like a ballerina, for the love of God and the salvation of your soul, DO NOT DIVE. Score the goal, become a Christian spirit.

Moved by this, and guilty of a life throwing himself to the ground as a disciple of the great Beckham, he holds himself upright. Off balance, he is forced wide, and crosses an unsuccessfull ball.

ANGEL:- There is more joy in heaven over a sinner who repents than :-

RUUD:- Joy my ars*, I thought you knew everything? I don't take the penalties for Holland :twisted:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2008, 10:14 pm

What price are Romania to beat Holland?

Gotta be worth a few quid.

van Basten plays several fringe players to "give them a run -out" ....... one of the "lesser" players gets himself sent off fairly early, and with 10 men the Dutch go down fighting with their heads held high and no bad press about throwing the game to get rid of FRANCE & ITALY.
Go for it Marco ........ most of the world wants you to. :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2008, 8:50 am

stattointhailand wrote:I still think it's wide open. My fancy is that it will be Czech Rep/(Germany or Croatia)/Holland and Russia contesting the semi's, and any one of them could go on to win the thing. I don't think Portugal are strong enough in depth (3 or 4 very good players but backed up by mediocrity), Spain will 'blow it' (as usual), Italy and France will both slip up against supposedly lesser teams, and the rest are just also rans.

WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE :guiness:
Well that's the first one through to the semi's.
Still don't know how Czechs managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Turkey though :irked: ...... no probs, Croatia can see them off tonight.
Forcast was knack**** by Holland winning the group of death :shock: , as I was expecting them and Russia to meet in semis not before.
Still, can still get 3 out of 4 semi- finalists :lol:

handsome-Dane
udonmap.com

Post by handsome-Dane » June 20, 2008, 1:57 pm

Bye bye 30k and sweden. :cry: :cry:
Well they wasnt better so thats ok they went out. Nobody can win by playing like 11 chicken on the field. Lets hope the Ducth can do it, they play fantastic ball so fare.
And again as I said in the beginning. Watch the Bloddy Germans, the are always lucky and are a tournament team.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » June 30, 2008, 12:33 am

So Germany Vs. Spain it is. As Ireland narrowly missed qualification under that world renowned mastermind of football... Steve Staunton, it is hard to go either way. Maybe with it's Liverpool contingent and the usual propensity of the neutral to go for the underdog I will say... Viva Espana!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 30, 2008, 3:45 am

well done spain but at times they annoy me with their feigning of injuries to delay good football in the second half!
At least there will be some angry germans in town/complex Monday.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 30, 2008, 7:51 am

angry germans, ive only ever seen a happy german, when there pissed, then there an ever bigger pain in the a~se :D :D :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 30, 2008, 2:07 pm

I have met a few nice Germans,but never having been to Europe,I must say that many I have met were seemingly inhospitable!Of course I could say that about alot of Nationalities I have met in Thailand!

As an American,it takes awhile to get used to nationalities that don't respond to ''hello''! :lol:

handsome-Dane
udonmap.com

Post by handsome-Dane » June 30, 2008, 3:16 pm

The best team won.
Germans. hmm have they ever changed.??
They are the only people lost both 1 and 2 WW and still think that they are the master-race. That they are above everybody else.

Return to “World Sports”