Kitchen Cabinets

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Kitchen Cabinets

Post by Charlieb » May 27, 2023, 3:11 pm

Wife wants to replace old kitchen cabinets. Went to Index and wife saw ones she wanted. Charged her 1000 baht to come look at our kitchen. Called back today with price of 1.8 million baht! Wife say OK then was told it would be three months before installation would begin plus we would have to pay someone to remove and dispose of the old cabinets. I took the phone and told him to put his cabinets where the sun don't shine! I am not going to pay that much to go into his queue.

So, still need cabinets. Any suggestions? Are there cabinet makers around to do custom work?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Kitchen Cabinets

Post by Whistler » May 27, 2023, 3:20 pm

Same experience I had when I did a kitchen two years ago. I am quite handy and made some of my own and took other options.

I did a Thai/European kitchen with concrete benches that I tiled and prefab doors doors for under bench cupboards. I then went to Thaiwasado and purchased modular shelving and installed that in the underbench cupboards, the wall cupboards I made myself. I installed a gas oven, double sink, water heater and washing machine in the kitchen I designed. Did my own wiring with mountains of power points.

Another option is IKEA, go to BKK to look or shop online.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 27, 2023, 3:34 pm

Charlie .. I used Boontavorn next to Honda big wing on the ring rd ... no old units to remove as new build , no site visit as gave them a floor plan , paid a 10% deposit on ordering and waited 2 weeks for cabinets to arrive in Udon , paid balance and fitted the next convenient day after that , 2 guys that came did an excellent job completed in a day.

I think a normal waiting period on such is not over 4 weeks suppose it depends on how big the kitchen /job is and which design you choose... 3 months is OTT IMO.

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on May 27, 2023, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » May 27, 2023, 3:56 pm

I wish I were handy enough to do my own. I can't drive a nail straight which is why I worked in software 😁
Surely this area must have cabinet makers. The problem is finding them.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 27, 2023, 4:08 pm

Charlie, still in software after nearly 57 years, I learned to drive a nail when I was 15. Dad got rid of the two Irish builders we had building our first house. He watched the guy nailing the plasterboard, he kept on throwing away every second nail. The supervisor asked him what he was doing.

'These nails are no good, the head is on the wrong end'

'Ya daft bugger, we can use them on the wall opposite'.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 28, 2023, 8:40 am

try kitzcho next to the big c bridge intersection , a friend of mine has bought some nice cabinets ( installed them himself ) there , they have upped the quality compared to a few years back , boonthavorn , expensive ,but sometimes they have good offers and a lot of choice ... wise advice if you are going for granite counters ,do not buy them in any of these shops, way too expensive , but buy them at the local granite shop on the road going out of town to nongkhai ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2023, 9:10 am

I recall seeing a Danish kitchens place on the east (best side) ring, between the railroad crossing at the flyover, next to PTT.
https://goo.gl/maps/VBYaTHfquXg933y67

https://www.kvik.co.th/stores/kvik-udon-thani
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2023, 9:58 am

The Index Mall fitted kitchen from 15 years ago is still intact except for the sink unit. They use the same particle board as the 'dry' units which has suffered from the squatters insufferable indolence where they haven't fixed spills or busted hoses in a proper or timely manner. When it finally falls down, that unit will be replaced with nice, sturdy angle-iron and bugger the aesthetics.

One thing about Thai-designed kitchens is the 'standard' working height; they're made for the local short-arses. So, if any member's plan on spending any time cooking, baking or washing up (you know who you are), to avoid backache, best to get at least 5 cm added to the height of any custom units, especially the cooking range, prep tables/islands (and sinks). You can also get any wall cabinets affixed higher up. Then you can keep the expensive farang stuff on the top shelves and stop the (short) natives nicking it.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 28, 2023, 10:57 am

It's years back, so I don't know the current market's suppliers/prices, but I used Decor Choice and received a thoroughly professional job. Maybe expensive at that time, but design, colour choice, installation including sink, water heater, hob, extractor, electrics and two lengthy granite worktops all excellent.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 28, 2023, 12:47 pm

Charlieb wrote:
May 27, 2023, 3:11 pm
Wife wants to replace old kitchen cabinets. Went to Index and wife saw ones she wanted. Charged her 1000 baht to come look at our kitchen. Called back today with price of 1.8 million baht! Wife say OK then was told it would be three months before installation would begin plus we would have to pay someone to remove and dispose of the old cabinets. I took the phone and told him to put his cabinets where the sun don't shine! I am not going to pay that much to go into his queue.

So, still need cabinets. Any suggestions? Are there cabinet makers around to do custom work?
Charlie,you have to have an HUGE kithen ;-)." Called back today with price of 1.8 million baht! Wife say OK", and a very rich wife ;-)I can buy a small house for that kind of money...Take care Charlie :-)
Last edited by DuiDui49 on May 28, 2023, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 28, 2023, 1:27 pm

^ I was thinking exactly the same Alfie. Price sounds way too high unless kitchen is huge. :-k

We have had 2 westerns kitchens installed over the past 10 years in Udon (for 2 different houses).

First one 10 years was purchases from St. Mall (not sure it is still trading). Delivered within 4 weeks of order and fitted by St Mall team. We just sold the house few months ago and kitchen was still in very good condition.

Second one 5 years ago purchased from Index. Delivery was also within 2 weeks from order. No issues with the quality of the units although I would go for a better quality worktop / countertop if could do it again. The high gloss black one we got shows every mark.

I really can't remember the prices but was in the order of 200K - 250k baht all in fully fitted (including hob, sink, extractor).

Some guide prices of the smaller size. But these are modular so can add many more units and still be way way under your quote.

Good luck

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » May 28, 2023, 6:07 pm

Made a mistake on the amount getting San and Lan confused. Should have been 180,000 Baht
Thanks for the tips

threestags
udonmap.com

Post by threestags » May 29, 2023, 8:40 am

I used Home Pro about a year ago. About 100K including stone bench top. Took a week for delivery and install. The cabinets are Kitzcho. I think we were lucky there was stock available otherwise there could be a lengthy wait.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”