charcoal grill

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
tutone
udonmap.com

charcoal grill

Post by tutone » November 26, 2008, 10:11 am

Anyone know where I can buy a charcoal grill for outdoor cooking. Would like to have a "Weber" or kettle style but would settle for anything that could handle a few American style steaks or burgers. Thanks.

laphanphon

Re: charcoal grill

Post by laphanphon » November 26, 2008, 10:28 am

Quick Fire BBQ grills, one of the sponsors, puts out an excellent product, little pricey, but well worth it. I got one, and I'm a cheap charlie. One of my best purchases so far in thailand.

link to thread, also have advert somewhere's on here.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... t=#p134279

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 26, 2008, 4:46 pm

Sounds like a good gas grill, but I was looking for a charcoal fired grill. You know there is really no comparison to charcoal flavored food.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 26, 2008, 5:06 pm

Not a weber, not a kettle style, not a smoker and not a brand name and not as shiny and as well finnished as Doc's at quik-fire...but the good old Thai style made up from a steel drum, got legs, got a grill, makes a great Barby too,add charcoal and you are away and only 500 baht or less if your lucky.. Map ref Q-15 by the train tracks opp side from AEK Udon the small shack style places selling Thai style house goods and stuff..
Just an option.

As i said not in the same league as Doctas at Quik-fire but good for cooking a few steaks/seefood and burgers.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 26, 2008, 5:16 pm

Robinson's and HomePro have the type you're looking for, however they're not very sturdy and fabricated of very thin sheet metal. IMO, not worth the price. An alternative is the barrel cut in half type mounted on a stand which can be found at a shop nearly opposite the Charoen hotel (across the road and approx 50m heading towards AEK). The smaller ones go for about a 1100bt, I don't remember what the larger ones go for.

The regular type charcoal and wood chips can be found at HomePro. Thai style charcoal can be found just about anywhere but are a bitch to light.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 26, 2008, 5:19 pm

beer monkey wrote:Not a weber, not a kettle style, not a smoker and not a brand name and not as shiny and as well finnished as Doc's at quik-fire...but the good old Thai style made up from a steel drum, got legs, got a grill, makes a great Barby too,add charcoal and you are away and only 500 baht or less if your lucky.. Map ref Q-15 by the train tracks opp side from AEK Udon the small shack style places selling Thai style house goods and stuff..
Just an option.

As i said not in the same league as Doctas at Quik-fire but good for cooking a few steaks/seefood and burgers.
BM,

They're not there no more, they've moved up near the Charoen hotel and they've gone up in price.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » November 26, 2008, 5:32 pm

Hey there LA and Beer Monkey, ice cold beers for both of ya's first chance we meet around town.
Thanks for the good words.

Good luck finding yourself a nice Charcoal bbq, Tutone...

My best to all,
Doc

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 26, 2008, 8:08 pm

Boy if you could find a good pipe grill pit. Puts the rest to shame. No gas just Charcoal!!!

Come on Papa, falang charcoal you light, Thai charcoal, Thais light!!!! :lol: :lol: A bit on the serious side, I like the Thai charcoal for flavor over the store bought. Really like Mesquite but a bit shy of this in Thailand. :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 26, 2008, 8:28 pm

2 ways to light charcoal here, don't throw you flip flops out, just cut off a section,about 2 x 2 inch, you euros with have to do the math, maybe 5 cm, lol, just light that with fire, burns pretty good. but better way is to use a wire fish/bbq rack, and put charcoals on that, as if goint to cook, then hold over a gas burner, until they get started, too simple. 8)

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » November 26, 2008, 9:02 pm

I bought one of those charcoal bbqs in Bangkok, made out of half a drum but it only had the heavy guage mesh for cooking. So I found a steel 7mm thick plate and now I have the grille and steel plate, its great. All up around 1,500B, the fragrant smell of the charcoal and the fat dripping onto the hot coals while drinking a cold beer, cant get better.

Im not a cheapie, if I want it I buy it, so Emporium and Robinsons can keep their expensive bbqs, this will do me just fine thanks.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 26, 2008, 10:41 pm

A couple more ways to light the Thai charcoals.... lighter fluid with dry kindling or, my favorite, use pieces of old bicycle inner tube. The latter one is a bit smokey but does the job. A third way is to call your wife and hand her the matches. Then you can come back with a beer after the coals are hot to turn the burgers over and pretend you did it all. :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 27, 2008, 4:37 am

laphanphon wrote:2 ways to light charcoal here, don't throw you flip flops out, just cut off a section,about 2 x 2 inch, you euros with have to do the math, maybe 5 cm, lol, just light that with fire, burns pretty good. but better way is to use a wire fish/bbq rack, and put charcoals on that, as if goint to cook, then hold over a gas burner, until they get started, too simple. 8)
Thats the way to do it....!! with the fish rack works a treat, remember using 'our'method once years back and everyone was looking at me thinking wtf or the Thai equivalent, then i got showed 'how' to do it with the fish rack and gas burner,,,yeah to simple .

Like the Flip Flop method but surely that must kick up a stink.

papaG wrote: They're not there no more, they've moved up near the Charoen hotel and they've gone up in price.
Ta, I suppose they got to find more cash to pay for the 'new' more nearer town sales premises. ;)
and i sent the Mrs to buy whilst i waited up the road..lol, might of saved myself a 100 bahti will never know.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 27, 2008, 6:27 am

Actually when that shop was located near AEK all they had were half barrels. They've upgraded since then and the one I priced for 1100bt is for the complete barrel, bottom & top halves. The top half serving as a cover and vent pipes welded to the top, so the half barrel may still be about 500bt. The cost is marked on the item, but they are negotiable.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 27, 2008, 6:33 am

banpaeng wrote:Boy if you could find a good pipe grill pit. Puts the rest to shame. No gas just Charcoal!!!

Come on Papa, falang charcoal you light, Thai charcoal, Thais light!!!! :lol: :lol: A bit on the serious side, I like the Thai charcoal for flavor over the store bought. Really like Mesquite but a bit shy of this in Thailand. :lol:
The wood chips available at HomePro are Mesquite (or at least that's what is written on the bag).

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 27, 2008, 7:49 am

That is hard to believe PapaG that they goi that far. That is great. \:D/ have a good grilling day. =D> :lol:

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 27, 2008, 10:01 am

Hi, tutone,
QF will also do there models to work on charcoal if you want it that way.
cheers Doug

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 27, 2008, 11:31 am

Thanks all, for the information. I'll check out the Thai style, barrel grills first. Should be cooking soon. And Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”