Buying an Ipod

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
lighspur1
udonmap.com

Buying an Ipod

Post by lighspur1 » May 5, 2009, 7:51 am

I'm joining the modern age :D . I'm off to buy an Ipod this weekend, I have been quite happy with my cd disks player in my vehicles but I got a new motorcycle with a sound system and changing cd's on the fly is quite awkward and maybe even dangerous. It has a jack for an Ipod. My stepson said I could put all the music I have on an 8 gig Ipod. I read up a little on them and I'm thinking the flashdrive Ipod would be the way to go vs the hard drive style Ipods. Any help or suggestions from anyone more knowlegeable on Ipods would be welcome.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Re: Buying an Ipod

Post by Irish Alan » May 5, 2009, 8:10 am

My Nokia N70 toe-ra-sap (cellphone to the colonials) music edition came with a 1GB memory card and holds about 250 (?) songs. Frankly I couldn't be bothered with an i-Pod.

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » May 5, 2009, 8:11 am

My new bike :D
Last edited by lighspur1 on May 5, 2009, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 5, 2009, 8:11 am

iPod nano. They come in 8 and 16 GB. You can find them at the iBeat store at the Charoensri Complex.

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » May 5, 2009, 8:16 am

I'm still in U.S. I'm sure I could pick one up at a Sams or Bestbuy. I just wanted to get some opinions on what style, brand would give me the most bang for my dolar.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 5, 2009, 8:20 am

Ipod classic 120 GB of memory

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 5, 2009, 8:55 am

I bought a new ipod shuffle for the wife, new shape, has 4Gb and holds 1000 tracks, cost £60 in a UK high street department store.
The units mentioned above are all good but I doubt you'd be watching video on the bike, if it's for the bike only the shuffle would suffice, unless you want to load more then 1000 tracks that is..

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » May 5, 2009, 9:55 am

No video needed just for music only, didn't count them but probably do have more than 1000 tracks but less than 1500. From what I read the flashdrive style Ipod is more durable and the batteries last longer than the harddrive type although you give up a little on quality and the flashdrive isn't compatable with as many formats as the harddrive type. Since I'm going to be listening to the music on a motorcycle I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in the quality.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 5, 2009, 10:32 am

You may want to consider buying an MP3 player instead of an i-pod.
Do not forget that an i-pod is just Apple's way of trying to corner the portable/internet music market.
Like most Apple products they look nice, do what they say they will do BUT tie you down an "Apple" road & are more expensive than their rivals.
Apple sell on design & 'snob value', not on price or being the best on the market.
All the major electronic makers (and a host of Chinese companies) make MP3 players - so the variety, quality & price is far greater than for i-pods...
Example....(UK prices & obtainable - so more expensive than say USA, but same for all products).

ipod shuffle 4GB = 59.00 GBP
sansa clip 4GB MP3 = 38GBP

ipod nano 8GB = 107GBP
16GB = 146GBP
iRiver L Player 8GB MP3 Player = 80GBP
Creative Zen Mozaic 16GB MP3 Player = 90GBP
Samsung YP-Q1 16GB Portable Media Player = 95GBP

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 5, 2009, 11:39 am

"'snob value'" Gee I thought I was buying quality products that do what they are designed to do very well with a minimum of hassles, but thanks for the wake-up.;o)

Getting back on topic, I would consider buying a GPS with an SD slot (about the same cost as an iPod) on average songs are about 3.5 MBTs per, so a few SD cards will hold his library.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 5, 2009, 12:41 pm

jetdoc if you are as selective about your reading on Apple products as you were on my post then I can understand why you would buy & think that you had a bargain. :D
I was just pointing out alternatives that do the same (infact more) as an Apple product at a greatly reduced price. If someone then continues to buy Apple products then it is certainly not due to "value for money" or "features" and I doubt if Apple products are better designed or better produced than, say, Sony or the myriad of other Japanese producers....

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 5, 2009, 1:21 pm

Bob, ease up, notice my smiley. Over the years I've seen many threads here and on other boards relating to PC/Windoz problems. Been a mac user over 10 years and have never experienced any of these problems, never installed extra security programs and never had any viruses or problems, simply stated their products do what I expect and without hassles.;o);o);o) I pay extra and I have a tendency for over kill. If this makes me a "snob" I guess I'll learn to live with it.;o);o);o)
PS I'm not smart enough to do the yellow ones.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 5, 2009, 1:40 pm

OK JD point taken :D
To enter "smilies" (or "frownies") click on the "User Control Panel" near the top left hand side of the page.
When there click on the "Board Preferences" tab
then on "Edit Posting Details"...
Make sure
Enable BBCode by default:
Enable smilies by default:
are both "Yes" and click "Submit"
Smilies should then be there when you post...

Yes, I have used Windows since it first came out & have equally never had a security issue.
I do not like Windows but (for many years) Office Products would not work on a Mac plus the company I worked for was Microsoft reliant which made it impossible to work from home with anything but Windows.
Apple have made (& continue to make) some excellent products, but you do pay through the nose for them when they are new. Basic iphone, ipod I would not consider buying as lower cost alternatives are available. If someone wants the absolute latest version then there is no alternative - but they are also little better than alternatives.. :D
p.s. when I buy my next PC I will be supporting UNIX not either Microsoft or Apple.... :D :D

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 5, 2009, 3:46 pm

"Smilies should then be there when you post..."
Roger that, they're there but when I drag them in the box they lose their luster and become letters and symbols. http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/#

A dyed in the wool mac guy (talked me into going mac) bought his wife a PC and couldn't say enough about MS Office, have it for mac on on my laptop running Panther and it is superior to apple works. The copy I have doesn't like Leopard and only some parts work. Had a lot of Court stuff going on the first couple of years after moving here so Office made life much easier for sure.

Back on topic, your suggestions are all good and will save the OP some bucks but the bike appears to be a Harley so a GPS with audio output may round out the package.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 5, 2009, 3:49 pm

And show up when posted as #

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 5, 2009, 4:15 pm

Hi lightspur ive got an Apple i-pod holds 4-500 songs not to flash so it wouldnt be a temtation to the local grabbers i hang it around my neck under my t-shirt when im riding the bike around had it 2 years now not a prob with it when i come home i put it in a docking port full surround sound sounds great can buy them now for $40. no point in having an up to date modern i-pod all you want is something that will do the buiss and something you can easily hide on your person.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 5, 2009, 6:56 pm

jetdoc wrote:"Smilies should then be there when you post..."
Roger that, they're there but when I drag them in the box they lose their luster and become letters and symbols. http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/#
Drag them in the box? Maybe it's an idiosyncrasy of mac systems but try clicking and not dragging the smiley? Symbol for your chosen smiley should then appear. Click on "Preview" to see if the smiley appears correctly. :-k

:wave:

Ipod? Dunno anything about that. Sorry if dragged off topic. :D

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 8, 2009, 3:19 pm

BobHelm wrote:You may want to consider buying an MP3 player instead of an i-pod.
Do not forget that an i-pod is just Apple's way of trying to corner the portable/internet music market.
Like most Apple products they look nice, do what they say they will do BUT tie you down an "Apple" road & are more expensive than their rivals.
Apple sell on design & 'snob value', not on price or being the best on the market.
All the major electronic makers (and a host of Chinese companies) make MP3 players - so the variety, quality & price is far greater than for i-pods...
Example....(UK prices & obtainable - so more expensive than say USA, but same for all products).

ipod shuffle 4GB = 59.00 GBP
sansa clip 4GB MP3 = 38GBP

ipod nano 8GB = 107GBP
16GB = 146GBP

First: nice bike, lighspur1 - enjoy

Second: =D> Bob, right on, the guy needs a third rate player to save a couple of bucks after spending $20K plus USD for a bike he will be able to use, if lucky, 6 months out of the year, during the worst World Recession/Depression. =D> Good advice. :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 8, 2009, 4:08 pm

the guy needs a third rate player to save a couple of bucks
I am sure that Steve Jobs will be delighted that the $500M a year he is spending on advertising has not been wasted on you RL. p.s. this is nearly 5 times what the company spends on R&D to manufacturing these wonderful products.
p.s. if anyone thinks that Apple produce their equipment any differently than any other manufacturer then I will highlight an August 2006 letter issued by Apple after concerns were raised about the conditions under which ipods were actually manufactured...
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/ipodreport/

No different to ANY other manufacturer - maybe worse than some.... :( :(

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 8, 2009, 4:46 pm

So, tell us Bob which of these great products did you buy? How long have you owned it? What prompt you to buy that brand? Does it still work? How was support? Lets have a review! Personally I don't own one, I like to listen to the world as I drive by. :D I also don't own an iPhone. but I would take one if someone didn't need theirs. :D

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”