Lawn seed

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 7, 2006, 9:51 am

I've been letting the grass grow under my feet too much lately!! :lol:

Still I suppose that's more likely to happen in the rainy season! :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 7, 2006, 10:47 am

Isn't that funny I came her for among other reason the freedom, so what do I do get married buy house buy a trcuk, more goodies in the house then I care to think about and have monthly payments again. :shock:

See I told couldn't even remember the plan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 7, 2006, 11:20 am

You are drawing me out here, aren't you ! and I was trying to stay on topic (Grass Seed). :D But yes, I came to Thailand and decided to stay because I liked the lifestyle and the people. I very much enjoy travelling. Because my own children in the Uk had long since fled the nest, I was able to indulge my freedom and flexibility, being able to go where I want, when I want.

However, having acquired my current partner who cannot drive or ride a m/bike and having then inherited her offspring ( an adorable child, but...) who needs to go to bed early, go to and from school etc, I now find I can't go where I want, when I want, either with my partner or on my own. I also find I am living in a house that is less than tidy and I am spending my time house training my partner and child.

Having been through it all before, (bringing up children) in my earlier life, I don't really want to sit at home watching TV every evening, (Thai TV at that), or looking at the walls! I can't even easily go out for day trips, or visits or stay overnight in another city or area (e.g. Loie). We can't easily go out together, and if I decide to go out on my own, a dim view is taken, coupled with sulks and assertions that I am seeking "pastures new" (back on topic there :lol: ).

To be honest, having retired, I feel I have earnt my "freedom" and wish to capitalise on it, whilst I still can. I am beginning to think therefore that maybe I should be "single" again, where I can make my own decisions and go and come when I want, without "let or hindrance!!

Ok got that off my chest, back to grass seed. :D

valentine

Post by valentine » May 7, 2006, 12:56 pm

arjay wrote:You are drawing me out here, aren't you ! and I was trying to stay on topic (Grass Seed). :D But yes, I came to Thailand and decided to stay because I liked the lifestyle and the people. I very much enjoy travelling. Because my own children in the Uk had long since fled the nest, I was able to indulge my freedom and flexibility, being able to go where I want, when I want.

However, having acquired my current partner who cannot drive or ride a m/bike and having then inherited her offspring ( an adorable child, but...) who needs to go to bed early, go to and from school etc, I now find I can't go where I want, when I want, either with my partner or on my own. I also find I am living in a house that is less than tidy and I am spending my time house training my partner and child.

Having been through it all before, (bringing up children) in my earlier life, I don't really want to sit at home watching TV every evening, (Thai TV at that), or looking at the walls! I can't even easily go out for day trips, or visits or stay overnight in another city or area (e.g. Loie). We can't easily go out together, and if I decide to go out on my own, a dim view is taken, coupled with sulks and assertions that I am seeking "pastures new" (back on topic there :lol: ).

To be honest, having retired, I feel I have earnt my "freedom" and wish to capitalise on it, whilst I still can. I am beginning to think therefore that maybe I should be "single" again, where I can make my own decisions and go and come when I want, without "let or hindrance!!

Ok got that off my chest, back to grass seed. :D
Sort of letting the grass grow under your feet :?: Back on topic :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 7, 2006, 2:16 pm

Actually I was just making a joke but I'm glad I did sounds like you need to vent glad you did. Trust me I have those same feeling from time to time. But for me one night away from home is plenty and that doesn't happen often.

Bit more importantly I found cow manure for the lawn WHOPEE !!!!!

rossdunstan
udonmap.com

Post by rossdunstan » May 7, 2006, 3:05 pm

Ray,

Mind sharing where you got the cow poop from. And don't say you were standing behind a cow with a bucket waiting.

Ross

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 7, 2006, 3:53 pm

Ross you don't have photos do you :shock:

Actually we had been looking around and couldn't find it. But scjholl is tarting and our house keeper has tow children adn nt much money, so we bought some back packs, pencils paper and such for the kids. She had heard me discussing fretilizer with the wife for the lawn, Next day we had a large bag of it Didn't get a chance to ask where she got it or if I owe money on it. She only work part time for us and left it on the way to her other place. Heck of a young lady works seven days a week at different places.

I could tell by the way it was packed that someone did just about what your talking about We did soeme research on the Thia French beef operation and one of the by products was selling the fertilizer. But I don't know of any of those operations in this area. from what I was told, it purchased quickly by local farmers.

I coud use about five more bags of it but I have no idea if it is available or not yet

rossdunstan
udonmap.com

Post by rossdunstan » May 7, 2006, 4:33 pm

I'll make some enquiries when I arrive and if I find a source I'll let you know. Or post a photo of me behind a cow with a bucket if it comes to that.

Could make a good game for the kids. Give em a big bag and tell em 100 baht if they can fill er up...

Ross

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Grass seed, aw pafooie!!

Post by FrazeeDK » May 8, 2006, 7:27 pm

ordered a bunch of grass seed from the States.. Top Notch, Bermuda, good in shade or sun.. "Guaranteed".. About 7-8 kilos.. followed the instructions.. put it down.. It didn't grow well at all.. go figure??? so basically, it's turf or let the natural grass grow up for the last year.. I put some turf in, it's been doing fine for about 18 months, watering it weekly. the natural grass came up during the rainy season and rooted in good.. during the rainy season I mowed it down to about 70 mm weekly.. The cut grass seemed to provide a better base for the growing grass and also killed the weeds.. The cut grass rotted in and provided mulch allowing the other natural grasses to grow in stronger and last through the dry season without a lot of water.. I'll do the same this rainy season so perhaps next year the whole 3 rai yard will be grown in..
Dave

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 11, 2006, 2:36 pm

3 rai...a lot of ground to cover.

There is a small cluster (not quite enough to call a heard) of cattle that regularly graze just outside First Home, and they aren't wearing diapers. Just make sure you composte it for several weeks before putting it on your lawn.

valentine

Post by valentine » May 11, 2006, 3:33 pm

rickfarang wrote:3 rai...a lot of ground to cover.

There is a small cluster (not quite enough to call a heard) of cattle that regularly graze just outside First Home, and they aren't wearing diapers. Just make sure you composte it for several weeks before putting it on your lawn.
The lady farming the land behind my house has a sizable herd and dries the proceeds to sell at 10bht a bag(rice size bag)For a 10 bag order she delivers to me free, but of course . couldn't take the tractor to Udon If anyone with a pickup wants I will order for you and look after till you can collect. I especially like the fact it is dried as it kills all the weed seeds otherwise present.

macca46
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by macca46 » June 25, 2015, 8:10 am

Has anyone bought instant turf lately if so how much a square meter I know where the three are side by side heading towards NK.

Thanks in advance.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by fatbob » June 25, 2015, 8:22 am

I bought 700 square metres yesterday @ 25 baht per metre discounted from 28 baht, we are laying at present and there is no way they delivered 700 metres, once down I will remeasure and it will be back to the shop to argue it out. It was the first shop heading out from Udon towards Nong Khai, as always the quality is total sh-t with very little soil connected to the turf.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by rickfarang » June 25, 2015, 12:00 pm

It is distressing to see "bare root sod" but with adequate rain or watering it will do just fine, even in marginal soil.

macca46
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by macca46 » June 25, 2015, 6:31 pm

What type of fertilizer should you use here?? I will have to put mine on top of sand bed with clay underneath?

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by rickfarang » June 25, 2015, 7:09 pm

For a few years I used just go to a garden/farm supply store and pick up hand-filled plastic bags with the content marked in felt pen. Fairly inexpensive, but I stopped fertilizing when I started cutting my own grass. I also stopped the automatic irrigation system for the same reason :-)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Lawn seed

Post by rickfarang » June 25, 2015, 7:42 pm

I think the information above would be more useful with a map showing the location of the store from which I purchase fertilizer.

It is the red dot to which the red arrow points. The store is South-East of Thung Si Mueang.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”