Getting a Telephone line installed.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Prenders88
udonmap.com

Getting a Telephone line installed.

Post by Prenders88 » May 14, 2006, 5:08 pm

Is it true that there is a waiting list to have a telephone line installed in the City of Udon, Issanshire.

Tony

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 14, 2006, 9:21 pm

Well, I have two phone lines, one with TOT and another with TT&T (different locations in Udon)(strange the bills both say TOT), so without checking for your area, just don't believe everything you read :!: If your area is a no go, ask around, someone will sell you theirs :!: 8)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 3, 2006, 5:50 pm

When we first asked, they said there were no lines available in our area, and no plan nor budget to have any there, and since there is no hope of ever having lines there, there is not even a waiting list.

So we had sattelite internet installed.

The week after sattelite interent was installed, TOT came into the neighborhood and asked if we wanted a telephon line with ADSL. Now he have both. The TOT line seems to work, except on some weekends.

If you ask, and don't hear the answer you want, wait a little while and ask again. I can only shake my head in wonder at how things work around here.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 3, 2006, 9:24 pm

It really depends on what area you live in, if stop by the phone company they can tell you the probablity. The phone lines that Rick was talking about the builder had ordered some time back.

A Dakota say another way is to buy the phone number from someone and with the addtional digit being added to the phone numbers there should be a lot more available if not now, soon. Best bet is stop by the phone company and ask. They have always been very helpful to us.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » June 11, 2006, 5:51 pm

Whats the advantage of a fix phone line, Don't they have Broadband mobile, 25 % of new residents here don't get a land line connected. cable for tv internet and use their mobile for calls

Wilcanya district

kally
Master Builder

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 11, 2006, 10:10 pm

The cost is less I believe for the computer hook ups adn usage, ADSL is avialble in some areas. Some area a phone line is just not avialable and I mean in the city. But with the change in the numbers coming that may loosen up a bit

Ian
udonmap.com

Post by Ian » June 12, 2006, 8:41 pm

My GF is saying about getting a laptop with wireless internet which she says it's possible to get a signal even though she lives in a small village in Sangkhom :!:

I sometimes struggle getting a good connection from the centre of Cambridge so does Thailand have a good wireless setup or does this sound like a little bit of face-saving for her?

Thanks

Woohoo that's my first post over with \:D/ great forum by the way.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » June 12, 2006, 10:42 pm

I think you may be misunderstanding about what wireless internet is.

You buy a wireless enabled ADSL modem which is connected to the ADSL supply (usually down the phone line) and then the wireless modem transmits this ADSL signal VERY locally - anything from a few metres up to perhaps a hundred metres. Any wireless enabled equipment in this range (such as a wireless enabled laptop) will pick up this signal and connect to the internet.
The wireless modem absolutely needs an ADSL hard signal (from a phone line) which it then converts and transmits into a low powered wireless signal.
The normal usage for this type of equipment is around the house (and possibly next doors house too if they are smart LOL)
Why your G/F says she can get a strong wireless signal in her village is somewhat confusing.
The only possible exeption is she intends using GPRS (satellite)- for which she will require additional hardware (and software) in the form of a GPRS modem. She may or may not mean this (doubtful)
I would ask her further questions before you purchase her ??? that laptop :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » June 13, 2006, 3:24 am

Unless of course she knows how to 'piggy back' on someone elses unsecured line :?

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”