Corn Meal

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Corn Meal

Post by Kudjap or Bust » September 2, 2009, 6:25 pm

Does anyone know if any of the supermarkets, or any other shop, sells corn meal.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Re: Corn Meal

Post by fatbas***d » September 2, 2009, 6:47 pm

Carrefour has it, where they have a rack of herbal and bean stuff, i think the brand is Green,although i can't recall the price, I do remember its was a bit spendy.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 2, 2009, 6:56 pm

The last corn meal I bought in the area was at Nong Khai. The small International food store located on the right hand side just before reaching the Friendship bridge carried it. Don't know if they still have it or not. Typically, I stock up on it whenever we make a trip to Bangkok.

Good to know that Carrefour carries it now because I've never been able to find it in any of the other supermarkets in UT. I'll be sure to take a look at Carrefour during the next shopping trip there.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 2, 2009, 8:11 pm

I've seen it in Tops from time to time.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » September 3, 2009, 6:09 am

I brought a bit of a stock up of the locally made one on one trip to Bangers, when I opened them they were full of weevils,

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » September 3, 2009, 7:01 am

Thanks Fat B... I'll get my butt down to Carrefour and pick some up

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 6, 2009, 1:26 pm

Went to Carrefour today and still couldn't find the corn meal. I looked in the aisle where the herbs, spices and "bean stuff"are and found an organic foods display with lots of wholewheat, rye and wheat flour along with cous cous and some other grains, but no corn meal. I then went to the section where cake flour, corn flour, rice flour and wheat flour is found and struck out there as well. I had looked in Carrefour previously and couldn't find it, so it is either not there or I am simply missing it. Perhaps I'm still not looking in the right place. And yes, the organic flours and meals are pricey indeed.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 6, 2009, 4:02 pm

I feel for you Shado, cause they don't classify things the same way as they do in falang land. My wife is forever taking me down another Isle with baskets in it to find soft drink or some thing else that shouldn't be there just to find what I was looking for :roll: TIT

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 6, 2009, 4:37 pm

Direct Supply in Nong Khai had it a few months ago. They had two varieties both marked cornmeal by Farm Valley. One variety is corn flour, while the other (more coarse) is cornmeal.
Carrefour has corn flour and corn starch, but no cornmeal.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 6, 2009, 4:51 pm

if you have no luck i can get corn flour from bkk but in 20kg sacks/bags and weevils can be a problem hence why we dont stock it (or other flour type products)in chern chim. i will check the shelf life and maybe vacuum it down into 1 or 2 kg packs if can get it delivered

jon

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 6, 2009, 4:52 pm

sorry i meant CORN MEAL NOT FLOUR

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » September 7, 2009, 6:12 pm

As above I wne to Carerefour today and struck out, hunted every aisle I think but no corn meal,

pienmash, would be interested if yo do manage to whittle it down to smaller bags, but do understand about the weevils in larger sacks.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 8, 2009, 10:00 am

I got email saying corn meal is good for getting rid of ants they eat but can not digest it so they die
Now please if this is B/S please post it because I personally has no knowledge if it works

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 8, 2009, 10:54 am

aznyron; I've heard that as well, but never tried it. Corn meal seems to be a precious commodity here in Isaan and I certainly wouln't want to be using very much of it to get rid of ants. I reckon if you mixed a little boric acid with it the ants wouldn't last long. Of course that would negated the safe, organic solution to the problem. I wonder is polenta works to eliminate ants in Italy?

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » September 8, 2009, 10:58 am

Corn meal works if you take an unopened 10 kilo bag and drop it repeatedly on the ants it will crush them all. :lol:

Seriously Ron I was interested in this since we have an ant problem at our house. I googled ants corn meal and got all kinds of info. There is quite a controversy over this, some people say it works and others say not. So I still don't know. I just spray some insecticide (Baygon) on the column and they're gone for a few days but they always come back.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 8, 2009, 8:06 pm

On a question what is the difference between corn meal & corn flour ?

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 8, 2009, 8:19 pm

Ron: Corn flour is exactlty what it implies. Flour. Just like the wheat flour used for making baked goods or as a thickening agent. It is corn that is ground just about as finely as it can been ground. It is almost like a powder.

Corn meal has more of a sandy texture. It is much more coarse than flour and is typically used to make mush, cornbread, hushpuppies or sometimes added to baked goods to add texture. It is also a staple for making many Mexican foods like tamales or tortillas.

There are several types of corn meal and various sized grinds. Yellow or white corn meal are most common but you can find blue corn meal and meal used to make the Italian dish, polenta (similar to mush).

You cannot successfully substitute one for the other in recipes.

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » October 1, 2009, 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to everything; the board, Thailand, my apt, etc..
I registered just to post this. It seems only fair since I benifited from this board and topic, which came up in a google search "corn meal in Bangkok" which sounds so corny but it worked (sorry for the pun).

I just returned from Carrefour and, indeed, have cornmeal in my hand. At the CF I go to it is in the produce section against a wall full of "Dr. Green" products. It is in all Thai and I don't read that yet but it has a picture of corn kernals, as if still on a cob, sweet corn, and it sure looks like cornmeal to me. I cannot even identify the weight but it's probably about 200 gms and about 1 cup maybe 1 1/4 and cost 27 B. I have not opened it yet so I don't know how much it measures exactly. It's not much but will make a batch of corn bread, so yahoo.

Thanks for all your help.

HM

sappiajk
udonmap.com

Post by sappiajk » October 1, 2009, 2:39 pm

Can you post a picture of the bag? I went to CF in Udon yesterday and could not find it. Perhaps I looked right at it and didn't know what I was looking at.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 1, 2009, 2:47 pm

Well doggonit hermajesty, open that darn bag and confirm that it is, indeed, cornmeal! That would be really great news! I'm sure hoping that it is not cornflour. I've looked in the Dr. Green section before and must have simply not recognized it. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”