lawn mower

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

lawn mower

Post by parrot » January 8, 2010, 7:47 pm

I'm in the market for a 5hp or so standard lawnmower. Until today, the only ones I saw were in the 15k+ range, models like Honda and Briggs and Straton. Today in Global I saw two new models....one from China, one from Thailand. Both 5.5hp, powered wheels, grass catcher, lots of English signs on the lawnmowers give me the impression they're exported to the US/elsewhere. I inquired (I know, that's a dangerous thing to do in some stores) about guarantees.....the response was, Chinese have no guarantees, but the Thai model has a 3 month guarantee. Price for either model about 9900 baht. The name of the Thai company is Kwaithong....website adds a .com I can get to the homepage of the website, but can't access anything else....used Opera, Mathon, IE8. Searched google high and low for info using Thai/English but came up blank.
Might there be anyone with any experience with the Kwaithong company? I'm skeptical.......but at 9900, that's roughly half what a 5.5 honda would run....maybe because the Kwaithong only runs for half the time????/ It could be that the Thai model doesn't carry the heavy import tax that a model from Japan/US/Australia would carry.

The Kwaithong company apparently makes farm machinery....rice cutting, thrashing, etc.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: lawn mower

Post by Texpat » January 8, 2010, 9:54 pm

I've heard of rhinothong, but never kwai thong.

How many inches is the cutting deck on the two models you mentioned? I think it's 18".

The B&S 21" I'm using now was bought in 2002 for less than 4,000 baht and has about a million miles on it. It's on its last legs.

I have a large yard and mow it once a month in the winter and twice monthly in the summer.

Those few extra inches really mean a lot. :D

I refuse to pay 120,000B for the 10-year-old riding mower (still) for sale at ha-yaek wun-wai.
It should be about 38,000B. :(
How much is a goat? And can I get one in a thong?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 8, 2010, 10:48 pm

personally I would buy the smaller briggs and Stratton lawnmpower, their web site is full of invaluable info which will keep the mower running.
Anything made in China or even Thailand is liable to have built into it, self destruction s it just falls apart or even worse, stops working after about 6-12 months.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » January 9, 2010, 5:21 am

i bought a briggsand straton with grass box at homemart same as i had in uk have had it 2 yrs. no complaints.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 9, 2010, 5:54 am

pay the extra baht for the b + s or Honda....it will be cheaper in the long run....give the no warranty Chinese one a wide berth...even a 3 month warranty is pants on a new item.....it don't say much for the product imo.
and if you ever want to sell the used branded one you will get a decent price for it...unlike the other 2.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 9, 2010, 12:26 pm

I'm likewise a big fan of B&S.......had them in the US without problems. Texpat, where'd you buy a B&S for 4000 Baht???

As for the hai-yak lawnmower guy, I had a bad experience with him many years ago and told myself I'd never go back....the only business in Udon I've given a red card to. At that time, he was the only place in Udon with standard lawnmowers (B&S, Honda).....now they're available in many stores.

Malc, do you remember how much you paid for your B&S....is it self-powered?

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » January 9, 2010, 1:29 pm

Kadena BX. :D

I believe they're about 5,000B now. Less than half the price of the same item in Udon. :(
I agree with the others regarding the off-brand cheapies. You'll likely regret it.

Moothon
udonmap.com

Post by Moothon » January 9, 2010, 3:26 pm

If you want, I can look around here in Bkk and bring one up next time I come, or anything else any of you guys need within reason, such as cigars or food items, you pay actual cost, just don't confuse my kindness for a weekness and don't ask for 20k worth of stuff.
I agree with the rest, get the B&S or Honda and avoid the problems.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 9, 2010, 6:19 pm

"Kadena BX"

That's hardly fair!

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » January 9, 2010, 9:12 pm

hi mr parrot yes self powered i think it was 19 thousand bht they are a lot more than here in uk

Eyeez84

Post by Eyeez84 » April 21, 2010, 2:52 pm

Lawn mowers employing a blade that rotates about a vertical axis are known as rotary mowers, while those employing a blade assembly that rotates about a horizontal axis are known as cylinder or reel mowers

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”