Tops supermarket .

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by lepidoptra » February 18, 2012, 12:37 pm

I paid I rare visit to Tops yesterday and must admit their range of Farang foods has improved significantly.
Cereals, gravy mix,biscuits etc,. Obviously prices a little more expensive than back home but certainly not over the top (excuse the pun).
It made my day when I found the genuine Brook Bond tea bags for sale. 219 baht for 40.
Maybe they've seen the increase of Farangs in Udon and are adjusting their stock accordingly. :D =D>

trubrit
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by trubrit » February 18, 2012, 12:45 pm

lepidoptra wrote:I paid I rare visit to Tops yesterday and must admit their range of Farang foods has improved significantly.
Cereals, gravy mix,biscuits etc,. Obviously prices a little more expensive than back home but certainly not over the top (excuse the pun).
It made my day when I found the genuine Brook Bond tea bags for sale. 219 baht for 40.
Maybe they've seen the increase of Farangs in Udon and are adjusting their stock accordingly. :D =D>
I understand the range will be increased significantly when they move to their new location after the center is completed. Apparently they have formed some sort of tie up with John Lewis owners of Selfridges who operate the Waitrose supermarket chain and you will be seeing more of their products on the shelves,including cheeses and packaged meats. \:D/
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by BobHelm » February 18, 2012, 12:50 pm

Agree that they have a good range of Farang items Lep.
My only real complaint with them is that there would appear to be little consistency in what they stock..
Some of it might be down to the supply problems because of the floods but when they have something, they have lots, then it all disappears & can takes weeks to restock, if ever.
They also do quite a good line in different fresh breads, with whole grains in them & dark rye, but they seem to wheel it all out, still hot, just after they open & that is it. When it is gone, it is gone.

I have noticed the increase in Waitrose products in there as well TB, a welcome addition to Udon produce I think as you can rely on the quality of the product...

Galee
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by Galee » February 18, 2012, 1:02 pm

Was in Tops last week and treated myself to some Waitrose Bourbon biscuits. 80baht for a small pack.
When I opened them everyone was 'soft', despite being within their sale by date. I'll think twice before buying biscuits there again.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by lepidoptra » February 18, 2012, 1:11 pm

The Digestive biscuits were delicious except the one that fell in my cup of tea when I was dunking it :D

rick
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by rick » February 18, 2012, 1:14 pm

Hmm, Bourbon Biscuits, that would be nice. On a cautionary note, British Biscuit packaging is not normally designed to deal with high humidity, heat and nor is it airtight. There is a reason all those Biscuits in Thailand come in heavy duty, hard to open packaging. Also, I realise that imported goods are going to cost more, but 300% markup? (Tesco's typically settle for 100% on their own brand products). Strange that the UK can import food FROM Thailand and still sell it at a competitive price?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by trubrit » February 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

Galee wrote:Was in Tops last week and treated myself to some Waitrose Bourbon biscuits. 80baht for a small pack.
When I opened them everyone was 'soft', despite being within their sale by date. I'll think twice before buying biscuits there again.
I hope you took them back, I am sure they would have changed or refunded them . I bought some chocolate digestives there before. When I got home they were all stuck together. Took them back, they not only exchanged them but gave me a full refund .
The moral to this is. If your not satisfied with anything you buy anywhere, take it back. Okay they may not do anything about it , but no good just telling us , we certainly can't . :-"

Galee
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by Galee » February 18, 2012, 1:52 pm

trubrit wrote:The moral to this is. If your not satisfied with anything you buy anywhere, take it back. Okay they may not do anything about it , but no good just telling us , we certainly can't . :-"
It comes of no surprise to me and probably most of the regular UM readers that you reply with a critical comment to a post that was meant to be helpful. Whether I took them back or not is immaterial. The post was a heads up that you can buy substandard produce at TOPS. You on the other hand obviously have an attitude that if you buy something sub-standard, keep it to yourself and let some else find out for themselves. [-X

trubrit
udonmap.com

Tops supermarket .

Post by trubrit » February 18, 2012, 2:29 pm

Galee wrote:
trubrit wrote:The moral to this is. If your not satisfied with anything you buy anywhere, take it back. Okay they may not do anything about it , but no good just telling us , we certainly can't . :-"
It comes of no surprise to me and probably most of the regular UM readers that you reply with a critical comment to a post that was meant to be helpful. Whether I took them back or not is immaterial. The post was a heads up that you can buy substandard produce at TOPS. You on the other hand obviously have an attitude that if you buy something sub-standard, keep it to yourself and let some else find out for themselves. [-X
Strange man . Where did you see my post as critical? I was merely saying that on the one occasion I had a substandard product they exchanged it without problem, and asking whether you had the same efficient service I did . Of course if you just complained to us, not them , then not only would they be unable to make you a happy bunny but they would possibly keep on selling sub standard stock ,making other customers unhappy too ..
I see you take it upon yourself to speak for most regular members. Were you elected , or self appointed?
I will repeat the point of my message which you obviously failed to understand . You can get faulty goods or service anywhere, however most out of fairness would give the seller , bar , whatever, a chance to remedy the situation, by pointing it out to them .If you don't then it is not fair to them to castigate their products or service on a public forum.
The heads up you mentioned should have been given to the seller first, if he fails to rectify the problem , then by all means go public .

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”