Coffee pots

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
thrilled
udonmap.com

Re: Coffee pots

Post by thrilled » January 4, 2011, 3:02 am

I use "folgers'' coffee.They have A coffee bag,it's like A teabag.The coffee isn't instant.I put A cup water with the bag in A microwave and 2 minutes later it's finished.It does make A good cup of coffee.The downside haven't seen it in thailand.

KB_Texas

Coffee pots

Post by KB_Texas » November 25, 2011, 2:29 pm

Any updates on coffee pots here folks? I have been using a French Press for my coffee, but I am tired of the fines in the bottom of the cup and cleaning the thing every day.

I home roasted in the States, and can tell you that for you travel guys (and what I used at home every day), the http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress ... 542&sr=8-1 AeroPress is wonderful. It makes a single large cup in about a minute and a half, and the water temperature is right (205f, just off the boil) because you heat it before adding it. Forget the marketing espresso claim...it does NOT make espresso, but it does make an EXCELLENT cup of coffee. I will most definitely be bringing 2 back from the US next spring, along with about 600 filters. The only downside is because you use a short brew (~90 seconds) you use double the coffee. (I used 18 grams, water at 205f, 90 seconds, press, add hot water to the 12 oz cup it was pressed into, drink)

Cleanup is a snap, open the top and press the filter and puck into the trash, rinse, done.

I loved this thing as it was quick, easy, convenient and made excellent coffee. It was the very last thing I took out of my bags when I came here to make the weight limit, and I wish I had dropped a pair of shoes or something now. :(

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Coffee pots

Post by parrot » November 25, 2011, 3:31 pm

I'd be leery of brining a US electric coffee pot here....even with a transformer, your final outcome may not be the same as in the US....different voltage and 50 versus 60 cycle. Bt it may be worth a try.....bring a year's worth of filters though, as you may not be able to buy the same here.
Robinson's has a wide variety of coffee brewers....from the very expensive to the reasonably cheap. But if you want good coffee everytime in less than 2 minutes without a filter, buy a Bialetti. They're available in Robinson's for about double the US price.....but they don't wear out....and no filters. Perfect coffee every time.

KB_Texas

Coffee pots

Post by KB_Texas » November 25, 2011, 6:45 pm

Hey parrot...thanks for the info, but the AeroPress is a manual coffee maker, so no worries about electricity. We are going to hit Robinsons Sunday morning, so I will take a look at the Bialetti. Is it a Moka pot?

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Coffee pots

Post by parrot » November 25, 2011, 7:20 pm

"Is it a Moka pot?"
Yes.
If you prefer a latte/cappuccino to a standard cup of coffee, here's a hint:
- fill a cup 1/3 of the way with fresh milk (full, 2%, or 0% all work, but it must be fresh as opposed to UHT).
- nuke the milk for about 30-40 seconds while your moka pot is brewing your coffee.
- spin a small wisk in the milk between your hands until the milk foams up.
- grate a bit of cinnamon if you like
by the time you're done with the milk, the coffee will be ready.
No fancy machinery necessary!....but makes a fancy cup of coffee.

KB_Texas

Coffee pots

Post by KB_Texas » November 25, 2011, 9:22 pm

Sounds good...though I prefer nutmeg to cinnamon. :) I have been trying to find actual sweetened condensed milk here (e.g. Eagle, Carnation), and have come up empty. Will look in Tops when we go to Central, but the stuff at Tesco is mostly palm oil & sugar, with a bit of milk powder added. YUCK!

If it is a Moka pot, and does not have a filter, how does one keep the fines (aka mud) from the cup? This is why I dislike the French press...I waste 15% of the cup due to the fines.

KB

KB_Texas

Coffee pots

Post by KB_Texas » November 26, 2011, 6:47 am

Ah, ok, I Googled it and found the answer. :) The Moka pot is one of the very few ways I have never used to make coffee. I had an espresso machine in the States for when I wanted a cap or latte. I may have to try the Moka, and perhaps make Americano's with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

KB

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”