Slik fabric

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
johnny88

Slik fabric

Post by johnny88 » August 17, 2005, 10:40 pm

Does anyone know of a place in Udon Thani where handwoven silks casn be purchased for a decent price. I would be greatful for any responses.

Johnny

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 17, 2005, 10:57 pm

My wife can supply top quality handmade silk in a variety of colours and patterns made to order if required, from her parents own hands and other people in her village. This industry even cultivate their own silkworms.
If you are serious them pm me for further info.
There is a distinct difference between hand made and factory produced.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 18, 2005, 10:39 am

What does your average hand made silk cost per square metre?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 18, 2005, 1:37 pm

also would it be suitable for a top bed sheet (5') or just too rough! 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2005, 6:43 pm

Apparently having asked the missus, when they make the silk it is in a standard size which is aproximately 1 metre x 2 metres (the looms cannot go wider than that) but the length could be adjusted I guess.
Depending on colours/pattern the cost for one piece of this size would be in the region of 1500 baht

Look in the markets and you will see pieces going for about 900 baht - however check the size (usually 1 sq metre) and ask if it was handmade or produced in a factory ! (as if they would tell you anyway !!!)

You or I probrably couldn't really tell the difference - however the people from the villages can see good quality silk in an instant.

Dakoda: I guess you could use it as a sheet (sewn together) but its an expensive sheet - or do you have luxury tastes ? Better if it was used on the top as a decorative sheet and not for actually sleeping on (or was that what you meant ?)

Regards
Paul 8)

johnny88

Post by johnny88 » August 19, 2005, 12:12 am

Thank you for your responses. What I have found is about 1 meter wide and 3 to4 meters long. I am very serious about making some contacts. I'll be in Ubon Thani next week some time.

Thanks

Johnny

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » August 19, 2005, 5:46 am

Paul, I will also have a yarn( no pun intended) when I return as I have to buy silk for sister. I presume the normal forumites discount of 0.0000000078% will apply?

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 19, 2005, 8:31 am

John
You know where I am !

Discount ???? where do you think you are man - Thailand ????? LOL

Paul 8)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 19, 2005, 8:53 am

come on Paul. at least a discount of .0000000000000000078 if the buyer buys you a beer. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 19, 2005, 9:38 am

It seems impossible to find a flat sheet here, (I did find a couple at Robertsons, but individual size and I didn't like the colors)!

It would be for sleeping. I was thinking of getting two sewn together, but was thinking it might be a little scratchee! Guess it would be a little expensive too.

Another thing (flat sheets) to look for when in Bangkok, I guess. 8)

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » August 19, 2005, 4:31 pm

Dakota, tell me what size flat sheets, what colour, what quality and what price and I will will bring a couple over in Sept

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 19, 2005, 5:30 pm

Just confirmed it with the missus
Width is indeed about a metre (just over) and is dictated by the loom but the length can be just about anything (within reason), but is usually 2 metres as its a handy size to wrap around the body and have an instant sarong.
And yes you could sew them together to make a luxurious bed sheet , but would require some careful washing of course.

Possibly doing a run to the village in the near future to pick up some more so should have some to look at soon.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » August 19, 2005, 6:14 pm

I seem to recall a english TV show many years ago, about tailors, where the catch phase was "Never mind the quality, feel the width".

Joking Paul, I will be lining up, save me a trip on the iron horse to the silk village.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 19, 2005, 7:46 pm

Well John, an offer I can't refuse, but I hate to ask for it will add extra weight!

I am going to Bangkok either this coming week or the week after and should be able to find some there, just waiting on the weather to clear!

But if you are traveling light and need a couple of extra kilo's - I am looking for a couple of sets (fitted, flat, pillow cases) for what they call here a 5 foot bed (I think it is a queen in states)! Looking for 280 to 300 cotton thread (fine or satin), price is a hard one to call maybe around the 1500 baht range for each set. Color :?: something I can live with and NOT white ish or black ish!

Let me know for I not sure I will need four sets! Guess you could get one and I could try finding the other in Bangkok! 8)

Either way thanks for the thought!

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 21, 2005, 10:27 pm

Did a run out to the village today and gathered up about two dozen pieces of genuinely hand made silk, in sizes of aprox. 1m x 2m
There are different colours/patterns and if anyone wants a look then give me a shout.

(providing of course my internet service actually give me some service, but thats another topic :( )

Paul 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 25, 2005, 11:07 pm

still got about 20 pieces of handmade Thai silk but will be returning these to the owners in the next few days. Available to look in Udon centre if anyone wants a look before they go back. 1m x 2m - about 1500 baht/piece.

Paul
udonmap.com

Silk Fabric

Post by Paul » October 27, 2005, 10:28 pm

Got some real silk again:

Did another run into the great beyond (my wifes village) - now have about 25 pieces of silk again for browsing if anyone is interested.

approx 1m x 2m - various colours and patterns - 1500B

All handmade from the homegrown silk worms and good quality - really !

PM me for info. ( I am in Udon Centre)

Will have it for about 10 days and then will take it back to the village - as its just 'borowed' from the villagers on a 'sale or return' basis

Paul

ESJ

Re:

Post by ESJ » November 30, 2018, 7:46 pm

Paul wrote:
August 21, 2005, 10:27 pm
Did a run out to the village today and gathered up about two dozen pieces of genuinely hand made silk, in sizes of aprox. 1m x 2m
There are different colours/patterns and if anyone wants a look then give me a shout.

(providing of course my internet service actually give me some service, but thats another topic :( )

Paul 8)
Hi Paul - I see this is a little old but - are you still in business as it were and if so can I please arrange to meet up? I'm on a fabric mission....and (as well as some other places) will be udon thani 9th/10th december 2018...looking for an ongoing supply with the option to have a hand in the design in discussion with the weavers. Hopefully I hear from you. Cheers, Emily

Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Slik fabric

Post by Paul » March 14, 2019, 11:36 am

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been able to log in. but have just seen your message.
I wrote it 14 years ago so yes it is "a bit old"
I am not actually in business, never was - I just knew people in a remote village who made the silk fabric by hand (from the worms) and took some to help them sell it.
Sorry I don't have any more and cannot get it too - but there is a village just outside Udon city (baan Nakaa) which usually has a lot of silk for sale in the local shops.
Hope it helps
Paul

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Slik fabric

Post by Udon Map » March 14, 2019, 6:12 pm

Paul wrote:
March 14, 2019, 11:36 am
... there is a village just outside Udon city (baan Nakaa) which usually has a lot of silk for sale in the local shops.
It's a fairly large market where you can get all sorts of silk clothing as well as unfinished silk fabrics by the yard/meter. Right on the Nong Khai road, on the southbound side. Here's a link to a map showing its location:

https://www.resourceguide.udonmap.com/n ... ilk-market

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”