Fishing tackle

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
rick
udonmap.com

Fishing tackle

Post by rick » January 30, 2011, 11:15 pm

Ok, I know of 3 places to buy fishing tackle; the nightmarket, another in Adunyadet road (a bit past the bookhouse) and another in a pet shop on Wattanuwong road (the road at top of soi sampanit that goes towards Nong prajack). I will be expanding my collection in the near future and want to see if there are any other shops i can check out.

Any suggestions (with some directions) will be appreciated.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Re: Fishing tackle

Post by DermotC » January 31, 2011, 12:54 am

Rick,

Accross the road from UD town, Opposite McDonalds. I just bought all my gear there. Ask him for a 10% discount if you are buying more than 1000 baht's worth of stuff. He's a very helpful guy.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » January 31, 2011, 1:02 am

Along the road to Kutchap, about 4-5 km west of Ring Road on the right side (or about 1 km past the outdoor market with the ATM machines and convenience store).

If you pass some heavy road making equipment on the left with a hardware store opposite on the right, you've gone too far. There are 1 or 2 other shops along the way to the shop I am referring to, but I've never been in those.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 31, 2011, 8:18 am

DermotC wrote:Rick,

Accross the road from UD town, Opposite McDonalds. I just bought all my gear there. Ask him for a 10% discount if you are buying more than 1000 baht's worth of stuff. He's a very helpful guy.

If you are coming from the east (from Makro or Big C) on Phosi road, just as soon as you cross the railroad tracks there is a small parking lot on your left that is convenient to visiting the store. After you have parked, walk past the tropical fish shop to the tackle store. The owner speaks good English and as DermotC says, he is quite helpful.

You can also get fishing tackle repaired there.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 31, 2011, 1:05 pm

Ditto. Very helpful. Lost a handle from one of my reels and this owner rummaged in the back and brought out one that fits nicely for a reasonable cost.

Another time I asked him to set me up with a rig similar to the ones that Sabai Sabai rents out. The shop owner knows the Sabai place well and sold me a nice Daiwa reel with a couple hundred yards of freshly wound line and a 7-foot medium action rod. Cost was in 1-2 thousand baht range and he gave a discount without me even asking for it. Have used it in ponds around Udon with good success.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » January 31, 2011, 7:25 pm

Ditto on the fishing gear place by the tracks, across from UD Town. A decent selection of rods, even bait casting, I don't have but one spinning reel, at a decent price. I've bought 2 bait casting rods there already but still have to match up a rod with the big spinning reel. I wish now I had saved the big Shimano salt water (ling) bait casting reel I gave my rather unappreciative (I've got one just like it) son when I moved.

The shop also has worms for sale, 1 bht for 1 worm if I remember correctly.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 1, 2011, 4:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Had forgotten about the one opposite UD centre, and the worm info fits in with another question i was going to ask, as i want to try some worms - the garden doesn't have any so far.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 1, 2011, 5:26 pm

Rick, i was there today and he didnt have worms. Im sure he will in the future though.

richard-px1
udonmap.com

Post by richard-px1 » February 26, 2011, 8:47 pm

Yes Ric,as mention all the shops are good,but if your ever up my way check out the one in Ban Phue,it's really good.It's near the hosital,just as you leave Ban Phue heading towards Namsom.Tight lines

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 28, 2011, 1:16 am

Thanks for the answers, i bought my worms from the shop on Adunyadet road, 20 baht. Really healthy and still going strong after 2 weeks! Unfortunately, not a miracle and only catch a few fish, but still need more testing.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 28, 2011, 9:57 am

I think you have the right idea Rick. Worms can be a little tricky and you can never spend too much time testing them. I know it is a difficult job to sit by the water and keep track of worm performance, but believe me, in the end you will be glad that you spent the time and effort evaluating them. Some things just have to be done and it's good to see that you are taking the lead and doing the right thing.

richard-px1
udonmap.com

Post by richard-px1 » February 28, 2011, 9:55 pm

I fished for carp for over 40 years in the U K, France and Italy,so I found it really hard here like you,not having the baits available.I started to experiment with different things with mixed success ,you might like to try the following.Dog biscuits,ie like chum mixers,sticky rice mixed with ground up fish pellets,ground rice bought from market,use as a method mix.All have caught fish,good luck.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 28, 2011, 11:39 pm

Hey Richard, you are right all those mixes you mentioned work! European methods, using such things as boilies for Carp dont work here. Ive learned to fish properly here in Udon by watching and talking to thais and ex-pats(That have been here way longer than me) fishing. Baits are for the most part different but one thing I have found deadly here for a host of different species is bread crust.

Tight Lines

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 28, 2011, 11:58 pm

So far, in my limited experience here, I would agree that bread is one of the best. Also paste made from fish pellets. Mixing the paste with bread even better! I tried sweetcorn and not a single bite. So far i have managed to catch 10 different species on bread/pellet paste. worm has accounted for 3, rice 1 and lures 1. Caught my first plaa Chon last week, but it took a LOT of effort (40 casts to 2 fish to get a bite; i could see them and unusually they stayed put until i hooked one. Now for the Hampala barb i spotted while fishing for the plaa Chon!

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”