Location of Junk/Secondhand Shops/Flea Markets etc

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Jet
udonmap.com

Post by Jet » June 7, 2011, 11:05 am

Hi, Can anyone help please me re junk shops in & about Udon?
I spend 3 months per year half way between Udon & Sakon Nakhon Thailand. I've looked about over the years with only limited success, a junk shop in Sakon / one shop in Nong Khai [I don't even know if it is still open] / The Udon night market which has very little / the Korat night market.
I have a vehicle & enjoy spending a night or 2 away so if anyone could help me out with any suggestions for Udon / Sakon / Nakon Panom / Korat / Khon Kaen / Mukdahan / Nong Khai etc I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance for any replies to this post

Jet
udonmap.com

Old Vinyl Records / Coins / Watches or Clocks

Post by Jet » June 13, 2011, 11:40 am

Hi, I posted something on the shopping forum but may have been to vague so I'll try here. I collect records, coins & watches / clocks & spend 3 months a year in NE Thailand 1/2 way between Udon & Sakon Nakhon. Can anyone please assist me with locations of second hand shops / flea markets / pawn shops etc where I might be able to find some of the above?
I know about the market in Korat and one place in Sakon Nakhon, but know very little else about Udon, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Nakon Phanom, Mukdahan etc. I figure there must be some vinyl records stashed somewhere; left over from the US troop presence during the Vietnam War.
I have a vehicle so travel isn't a problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 13, 2011, 3:01 pm

Jet, I think shopping is probably the best sub forum to use. I've merged your two posts/topic into that forum and amended the topic title.

Have you tried Tha Sadet market in Nong Khai (also known as the Indo-Chine market. They have things like old coins, not sure about medals.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » June 13, 2011, 3:38 pm

Jet wrote:Hi, I posted something on the shopping forum but may have been to vague so I'll try here. I collect records, coins & watches / clocks & spend 3 months a year in NE Thailand 1/2 way between Udon & Sakon Nakhon. Can anyone please assist me with locations of second hand shops / flea markets / pawn shops etc where I might be able to find some of the above?
I know about the market in Korat and one place in Sakon Nakhon, but know very little else about Udon, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Nakon Phanom, Mukdahan etc. I figure there must be some vinyl records stashed somewhere; left over from the US troop presence during the Vietnam War.
I have a vehicle so travel isn't a problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
the biggest flea market of the north east is in Korat.
It is just outside korat on the way to Bangkok.
I have been there in the past.
The market is open every night from 16,00 till ....
In the weekend very crowded!!!!
I have seen there the things you are looking for: vinyl records, watches, coins, ....
an english friend bought there even the horn of an old (edison I think) record player.....
it is an enormous big flea market.
Locally the market is called "save one"
I hope this helps

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 13, 2011, 6:24 pm

Jet, I Have lots of Vinyl Records here at home Mostly from the 60s & 70s Most are Country & Western LP's 33 rpm ,Some American,Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard,etc.etc,A Few English Country Bands aswell......

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 13, 2011, 7:43 pm

Photos and some directions to Saveone at
http://teakdoor.com/north-east-thailand ... korat.html

Jet
udonmap.com

Post by Jet » June 14, 2011, 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the market in Korat, once last year and 2 years before that & got a few things. It is certainly well worth a look. I'll go again sometime this year.
I'll have a look in Nong Khai as I'll probably cross the border for a look in Vientiane as well. Does anybody know if I can get a re-entry permit at the border crossing or will I need to go to the Nong Khai Immigration Office? I entered on a single 3 month non immigrant visa.
747 Man I am mostly interested in 60's & 70's stuff but mainly Rock / Psychedelic Rock. I do collect some country records & if you wanted to get rid of them I would be interested. Otherwise if you still play them / collect them yourself you may want to keep them. I am coming to Udon tomorrow for a couple of days and if you're looking to clear some house space let me know.
For anyone who is interested in records a few years ago I came across hundreds & hundreds in Sakon Nakhon about 3 years ago. Sadly they were mainly Madonna / Michael Jackson era stuff - nothing much to interest me. I'll head there again in a few weeks to try & find it again for another look. I'll post the address if anyone is interested.
Thanks, Jet.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 14, 2011, 6:00 pm

Does anybody know if I can get a re-entry permit at the border crossing or will I need to go to the Nong Khai Immigration Office? I entered on a single 3 month non immigrant visa.
Jet, you can get a re-entry permit (1000 baht for a single re-entry, 4000 for multiple) from the NK Immigration office about 0.5km before the bridge on the Udon - Friendship bridge road.)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 14, 2011, 7:00 pm

747man wrote:Jet, I Have lots of Vinyl Records here at home Mostly from the 60s & 70s Most are Country & Western LP's 33 rpm ,Some American,Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard,etc.etc,A Few English Country Bands aswell......
Jet I Also have a Stereo Music System, But unfortuneatley the Styluss is broken so I cannot play my records....I Would be prepared to sell them ALL lock stock & Barrel depending on your offer.......

Jet
udonmap.com

Post by Jet » June 16, 2011, 7:45 am

747Man; thanks for the offer to buy the lot but as I said I'm really only after 60's & 70's Rock / Psychedelic Rock & as I'm heading home after 3 months a stereo & a heap of records would be a bit much for the cases. I only want to take 10 -20 with me.
I only collect the records - I don't play them - so the stereo is not really needed anyway. Thanks, Jet.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 16, 2011, 12:10 pm

O.K.Jet No Probs.....

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 29, 2011, 9:33 pm

The restaurant/shop in this story is an antique shop....so maybe not along the lines of what the op is looking for........but it may be worthwhile to check out.
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/182623
The restaurant is located in That Phanom, which is about mid-way between Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan. You can see the location on a map at
http://maps.google.co.th/maps?client=op ... CBsQ8gEwAA
The restaurant supposedly has over 1000 rare artifacts.
Looks like an interesting place to stop by for a visit!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 29, 2011, 9:40 pm

The photos are from the Thai Rath article:

The article doesn't mention it, but back 40 years or so ago, that region had some bodacious bamboo bongs. Judging from the looks of the vendor, he may have some tucked away in the back room. Bring your bell bottoms and Jimi Hendrix tapes.
Attachments
4201.jpg
420.jpg
630.jpg

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » June 29, 2011, 10:34 pm

Looks as if Caribou has decided to branch out from his singing career.

Jet
udonmap.com

Post by Jet » June 30, 2011, 8:55 am

Thanks guys; I actually got some stuff from That Phanom a bit over 20 years ago from a little store along the river - some boat coins & other coins which I've still got in my collection at home. I suppose it would be a bit more developed now. I'll definitely go for a drive there before I head home in another 2 months. Went for a drive to Mukdahan last week & found nothing of interest, although it is a nice drive. I'm going to go to Sakhon today for a look.
I've spent a lot of time in N.E. Thailand over the years and have only lucked upon small finds. [2 Issan Thai wives - you think I should have learn't after the 1st - I'm retired and have a 2 & 1/2 year old son with my second wife - we're spending more time in OZ than Thailand presently as I'm working on my house with an idea to sell in a few years].
I'm here for another 2 months and would appreciate any help / ideas - thanks.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”