This Week's Shopping Deal

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
marcus1
udonmap.com

Re: This Week's Shopping Deal

Post by marcus1 » April 29, 2021, 7:19 pm

I stand corrected...
Home cable TV...
Happy now children...!!!!

YKICAMOOCOW

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 29, 2021, 10:00 pm

marcus1 wrote:
April 29, 2021, 7:19 pm
I stand corrected...
Home cable TV...
Happy now children...!!!!
Happy.

Home Cable service at my house is solely for the squatters and other itinerants who like the local dross and control and payment falls under the remit of Mrs tam. However, if the company is now offering an android box option that has a scintilla of programming that interests their pet farang, I am all ears.

Home Cable are legend in not posting their services and have never, ever been able to provide a simple channel listing (ours changes after power outages). So I am very interested in what they offer, how CONSISTENT it is and of course, how much.

Thanks for sharing.

Ta
tam

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 8, 2021, 8:33 am

Niggly wrote:
April 27, 2021, 9:33 am
Not so much a deal, more a price alert, Makro have increased their prices of croissants from 50 baht to 60 baht. That’s a 20% increase on my breakfast staple.

Goods news is Big C haven’t followed suit................ yet
The Makro price is for a box of 4, so just15bht each, I used to get them every week but since we had a 7/11 open here in Nong wai that bakes them fresh all day long and will deliver free I get then fresh for breakfast every day . Not sure if all 7/11 do this so best to check your local store.
If your in town, Nana bakery located over the railway sells then fresh every day at the same price, or if you don't mind paying a little more the Japanese bakers lower floor of the center has them at 26bht, but they are all equally good, but the Big C ones don't come any where near the quality of any of these in my opinion.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » May 9, 2021, 4:29 pm

IMG_20210509_162729.jpg
Yet another M&S food sale in Central.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 9, 2021, 6:26 pm

Chuchi wrote:
May 9, 2021, 4:29 pm
IMG_20210509_162729.jpg

A deal? How we Know? Whats the discount?

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » May 9, 2021, 7:04 pm

choi choi wrote:
May 9, 2021, 6:26 pm
Chuchi wrote:
May 9, 2021, 4:29 pm
IMG_20210509_162729.jpg

A deal? How we Know? Whats the discount?
There was signs up 30/40 % discount ,I’m not sure I can give you a definitive answer on each product.An example of this is the Toffee assortment I bought consisting of double Devon ,chocolate brownie,salted caramel and coffee latte.On the packet it just reads Sale 59 baht. There may have been a breakdown list somewhere but to be honest as soon as I see chocolates I just want to eat them.I’ve polished the toffees off already.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 10, 2021, 11:08 am

Big C , Nattayo . Chicken breast , skin on only 39 baht a kilo from the bins in the middle of meat department .
I wouldnt eat it personally , but my 3 dogs love it . So i stocked up the dogs freezer this morning .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 14, 2021, 11:17 am

Big C Nittayo, scan a QR code into Line app at the till (I think it means I’m now friends) & get 60 baht off your shopping.

(Skin on chicken breast back at 59 baht/kg)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 14, 2021, 2:26 pm

Villa: Ritters 100g chocolate bars......45-49Baht. Intense Ghana chocolate really sets the mouth up for a cup of cappuccino! Expiration date a year out. I think there are 4 different flavors available.

DIY store, 4th floor Central: I wouldn't buy tools that I'd use frequently from that store.....but there are hundreds of other items that are dirt cheap and usable. 50 o-rings for 27 baht just one example.

Trout available at the RP store nearly every time I go. Bags of small passionfruit about 60 baht.

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » May 14, 2021, 6:25 pm

A few weeks ago I posted about the new Android box that is available from 3BB.
Now Home cable TV has a new android box of their own and free if you are a current customer, they simply swap out your old box for new (No charge). Great for all you Aussie's out there as they stream AFL for free through the ABC Australia (6 games per week) including all the final's..There are 3 Fox sports channels, 7 Sky sports channels, ESPN etc, and the usual Sky news, ABC news, Australia plus and all the normal such as movies etc...Had the box for 2 weeks now and loving the footy..Actually watching Friday night footy as I type.
I am always suspect about home Cable but at this stage it has been brilliant..Worth a try for free.
YKICAMOOCOW

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » May 15, 2021, 10:48 am

Parrot the Ritter 81% cocoa with some crunchy peanut butter on top helps replace the long absent Reeses cups here. I suppose Reeses kept melting so discontinued in LOS.

(The Ritter dark at only 50% cocoa isn't really dark though probably tastes very good.)

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » May 15, 2021, 3:48 pm

Correction: Ritter Intense 81% label is a bit misleading thai label states only 68% cocoa, but close enough to be true dark.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 19, 2021, 12:38 pm

The Marks & Spencer 50% off stand outside Central's mall entrance has about four different types of M&S teabags including Assam and Earl Grey, 50 per box for only 94 baht. Near their sell-by date.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 19, 2021, 1:40 pm

rct wrote:
May 15, 2021, 3:48 pm
Correction: Ritter Intense 81% label is a bit misleading thai label states only 68% cocoa, but close enough to be true dark.
Interesting that the Thai pasted on label says 68% cocoa and cocoa butter 16% for a total of 84%.....but the manufacturer's English label says 81% cocoa solids (that probably includes the cocoa butter). But who's counting? A small square is all I need with my cuppa.

As comparison, my Morinaga Dars Dark Chocolate lists 42% sugar, cocoa 41% and cocoa butter 11%

On the subject of labels.....I've long wondered whether those Thai labels affixed to virtually all foreign food products are done at the point of manufacture or in Thailand. Are they put on by hand or machine? Anyone know?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 20, 2021, 1:03 pm

We used to have to overlabel everything in the UK before it was imported to Thailand or Vietnam. It was all done by hand as the volumes weren’t cost effective to set up a machine. European orders were a lot bigger so labels were machine applied & we eventually went for a bilingual label so over labelling wasn’t necessary.
The Asian labels had to be pre-approved by the FDA before the first shipment & registered so they goods could be checked off against a standard on receipt in country.
A right royal pain in the ar$e it was too.

I’m guessing it will be a similar process for all foodstuffs

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 20, 2021, 2:47 pm

parrot wrote:
May 19, 2021, 1:40 pm
rct wrote:
May 15, 2021, 3:48 pm
Interesting that the Thai pasted on label says 68% cocoa and cocoa butter 16% for a total of 84%.....but the manufacturer's English label says 81% cocoa solids (that probably includes the cocoa butter). But who's counting? A small square is all I need with my cuppa.

As comparison, my Morinaga Dars Dark Chocolate lists 42% sugar, cocoa 41% and cocoa butter 11%

On the subject of labels.....I've long wondered whether those Thai labels affixed to virtually all foreign food products are done at the point of manufacture or in Thailand. Are they put on by hand or machine? Anyone know?
The labels are put on here in Thailand by hand at customs ware house facilities ... done by large groups of often civil service employees and their families as a part time job or retired civil service staff including teachers and police and their families .. this does not effect their government pension and healthcare rights etc thats why so many do it.. like a bit of cream on top a life of civil service... =D>

All imported products require at least 1 sticker affixed .. in our case imported beverages 2 stickers are needed , one that goes over the bottle or can opening /top another showing the importers name address contact details including tax ID.. this process has always been a ball ache and can easily delay products coming out ready for distribution.

So each case of product have to be opened items inside individually labeled and then case re sealed.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 20, 2021, 8:27 pm

Smuggling not easy then .......

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 20, 2021, 8:47 pm

Smuggling might happen in the form.of unlicensed products slipping in with ot without wheels being oiled .... another issue is.theft in the name of " test samples" a problem that must be factored in to the import business here.

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 23, 2021, 1:27 pm

Niggly wrote:
May 14, 2021, 11:17 am
Big C Nittayo, scan a QR code into Line app at the till (I think it means I’m now friends) & get 60 baht off your shopping.

This bar code scan seems to be an going deal as I’ve just done it again even though the Line app was already linked from last time.
60 baht off the shop although I’m not sure if you have to spend over a certain amount to qualify

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » May 23, 2021, 2:09 pm

Niggly wrote:
May 23, 2021, 1:27 pm
Niggly wrote:
May 14, 2021, 11:17 am

This bar code scan seems to be an going deal as I’ve just done it again even though the Line app was already linked from last time.
60 baht off the shop although I’m not sure if you have to spend over a certain amount to qualify
do they sell " Gold sleepers " :-"

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”