This Week's Shopping Deal

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2013, 7:28 pm

She still had the bite marks the night after :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 13, 2013, 8:41 pm

BobHelm wrote:Topps had just 1 packet in there today - so hardly a deal, although it was, officially still on.
I was in Topps this afternoon,Bob,and that 1 packet of Plain Chocolate biscuits was still there.....maybe go to the Customer Service desk,offer them 32 baht and see what they say ?
Actually,something else that could be taken up with the Customer Service Desk is Walkers Salt & Vinegar crisps.They have an expiry date of 24th August and two weeks ago were reduced from 49 baht to 19 baht but that promotion has now finished and they are back up to 49 baht,which is a bit naughty as they only have a shelf life of 10 days now.
A brave farang soul or Cheap Charlie could point this out and say they should be free now and they will either agree or give him a good kicking ! :-"
But plenty of Plain Digestives (not chocolate) still available as "Buy 1 get 1 free" if 747 wishes to stock up on his "comfort eating" food as he starts to worry about the onset of the Premier League season ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 13, 2013, 9:54 pm

stattointhailand wrote:She still had the bite marks the night after :-"
Statts Old Boy, Are you accusing me of something :? :yikes: :yikes: ...........You MUST be getting me :? :? with someone.....

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 13, 2013, 9:57 pm

Zidane wrote:
BobHelm wrote:Topps had just 1 packet in there today - so hardly a deal, although it was, officially still on.
I was in Topps this afternoon,Bob,and that 1 packet of Plain Chocolate biscuits was still there.....maybe go to the Customer Service desk,offer them 32 baht and see what they say ?
Actually,something else that could be taken up with the Customer Service Desk is Walkers Salt & Vinegar crisps.They have an expiry date of 24th August and two weeks ago were reduced from 49 baht to 19 baht but that promotion has now finished and they are back up to 49 baht,which is a bit naughty as they only have a shelf life of 10 days now.
A brave farang soul or Cheap Charlie could point this out and say they should be free now and they will either agree or give him a good kicking ! :-"
But plenty of Plain Digestives (not chocolate) still available as "Buy 1 get 1 free" if 747 wishes to stock up on his "comfort eating" food as he starts to worry about the onset of the Premier League season ! ;)
Loads it Tesco NK Today Andy,might get another couple of " Free Packets " Whilst still on.....BTW, Not Worried at all about the coming season mate, We'll be O.K.me thinks ;) ;)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 14, 2013, 8:09 am

A slightly different shopping deal here......
Central currently has a Motor Show on the 4th floor of the mall.Apart from BMW,its not the luxury models but Toyota,Mazda,Ford,Suzuki,Honda etc. but,for those interested,Mazda are currently doing a 0% finance deal for their Mazda 2 and Mazda 3 models.
But I think the offer ends soon,around 20th August possibly :-k so be quick !

For the wealthy farangs tired of giving their wives 60k baht a month for buying gold (so the wives say :^o )why not try something different and buy them a brand new BMW 5 series ?......theres a lovely white model in there at 3.2million baht,but for the budget concious amongst you there is a model at just 1.99m baht.....maybe the 1 series ?.....thats a snip at just 41.6k GBP :roll: ......you could consider it is a cheap runabout for your wayward teenage son,possibly ?
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » August 18, 2013, 1:06 pm

Dunno if this is a deal or not, but seem to recall it being a LOT more expensive! Tops has Best Foods mayo on sale at 89 baht per 460ml jar. I have been buying Kraft here, since it was considerably cheaper than Best Foods, and you can't really get Hellmann's. The jar says mayo, not salad dressing. Hopefully it will be somewhere close to Hellmann's. :)

They had approximately 8 jars left this morning.

KB

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 18, 2013, 1:59 pm

i do not understand , it is easy to make your own mayonaise , like i do it to my preferences, with lemon and sunflower oil , most of the mayos here they added sugar , ( probably for the english and americans?) , and are bloody expensive and taste like sh*t, ( sorry for the expression )... ;)

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » August 18, 2013, 4:39 pm

Interesting the things you can find by Google these days. I have tried in the past to make mayo, but always preferred the taste/consistency of Hellmann's. Well, it would seem that Hellmann's is no longer the original recipe, as it was changed in 2005. Granted, I have eaten little mayo in the States for a while, but according to those who have noted the difference, Hellmann's no longer tastes the same, is less thick and is in smaller bottles. I am not expecting much from this Best Foods mayo now.

So what to do? I found at least 3 recipes to try that say they imitate the original Hellmann's taste. Since each of them are a bit different, I guess I will have to try them all and see. They do seem to be rather simple, so perhaps it is time to make my own. If it works out, then I will get the flavor I want, and can make enough to last a week or two at a time. Thanks for making me research it kopkei! :)

KB

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » August 18, 2013, 4:50 pm

On board ship we always got Hellman's mayo in our port stores. A few years ago got hellman's in a squeeze bottle that stated on the label no need to refridgerate after opening. God knows what they put in it to make that claim.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 18, 2013, 8:02 pm

merchant seaman wrote:On board ship we always got Hellman's mayo in our port stores. A few years ago got hellman's in a squeeze bottle that stated on the label no need to refridgerate after opening. God knows what they put in it to make that claim.
Vinegar!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 19, 2013, 10:33 am

KB_Texas wrote:Dunno if this is a deal or not, but seem to recall it being a LOT more expensive! Tops has Best Foods mayo on sale at 89 baht per 460ml jar. I have been buying Kraft here, since it was considerably cheaper than Best Foods, and you can't really get Hellmann's. The jar says mayo, not salad dressing. Hopefully it will be somewhere close to Hellmann's. :)

They had approximately 8 jars left this morning.

KB
I tried Best Foods mayo a few years back, when I couldn't find anything else, ended up tossing it. In the states I also used Hellmann's pre 2005. Best I can find is the Kraft here.

Also looked into making, but never got past the google search. If you make any, let us know how it comes out. Thanks

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 19, 2013, 10:37 am

you need to buy best foods REAL mayo, not in jars but comes in a 1 kilo pack.spot on
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » August 19, 2013, 11:43 am

Isn't Hellmans and Best Foods the same?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1263492

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 19, 2013, 2:29 pm

From the above link
Best Foods: "Has a tangy, almost sour note to it.""Tastes more of vinegar." "Too punchy." "Has a citrusy, acidic flavor." "Sweeter." "Has more flavor." "Hit me like a bucket of lard, although it mellowed out pretty quickly." "Good if you like 'tang.'" "Creamier, more whipped."
Bold is what I thought, and didn't seem to mellowed out pretty quickly, to me.

Also about a month ago, tossed a jar of Miracle Whip, seems like it had changed and was in date, Tasted to much of vinegar. Do not know why, but will not buy again.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 19, 2013, 3:01 pm

I prefer Kewpie mayo (Japanese). It's more expensive than Best Foods, but better tasting. Probably because contains MSG and I'm not bother by that or overly concerned.
When we wrote about Hellmann's vs. homemade mayonnaise several of you chimed in to say that you preferred Kewpie to either of the above. (Check out that post, too - see proof that Hellmann's has indeed changed their classic formula!)
http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-kewpie ... aise-44639
Flavor Ammo: The Real Reason Chefs Love Kewpie Mayonnaise
http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/02/kewpi ... ecipe.html

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » August 19, 2013, 3:39 pm

I thought this tread was on SHOPPING DEALS not which is the best mayonnaise. :roll:

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 19, 2013, 9:03 pm

Hellmans mayo is available at Villa Market. However, the price is more than twice that of Kraft for a similar size container.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 20, 2013, 9:18 am

New Tesco,till 21,has 19 milk digestive packs available,do not fret the person buying just one :shock: ,I believe they have buy one get one free on tissues =D>

Also in the cheap charlie section further discount on the Heritage Muesli now only 131 baht on both the blueberry and the rasberry packets 350g \:D/

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 25, 2013, 9:24 am

Left this poor soul on the shelf at Old Tesco this morning,last pack,could not remember if the price was taking the piss or not so available for anyone within a days driving to secure it \:D/
Attachments
Cheap and Cheerful Weetabix 001.jpg

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » August 25, 2013, 11:46 am

Tesco Nadee had those English biscuits you guys were talking about for 64 baht a pack, buy one, get one. Milk Chocolate, Original and Light. Also had some natural Muesli (forget the two types, but think it was Blueberry and Raspberry) for 110 baht/box at the markdown stand in the back right of the store. Also had some pretty nice looking grapes (not seedless) at 20 baht a package.

Did not notice anything else of note. :(

KB

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”