Where to get good liquor?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 18, 2011, 7:25 am

I asked this in another thread, but did not receive a reply.

I have not seen a single liquor store in Udon Thani. I have seen the annex at Lotus, but their selection is quite limited.

Where does one go to buy single malt scotch (Balvenie, Macallan, etc) or Remy-Martin 1738 cognac (or any decent cognac for that matter)? The St. Remy brandy Lotus sells for 5?? baht is not bad, but I certainly would like having some decent scotch and cognac around. I asked at Lotus if they could special order items for me, and was looked at like I had three heads before being told no. ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
KB

stargate
udonmap.com

Post by stargate » October 18, 2011, 8:10 am

try the shop on phosi road, its on the corner at traffic lights with large eletrical goods opposite. map ref. k12

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » October 18, 2011, 8:13 am

The best place I know, in on Phosi road... it's on the left hand side heading North West, right in the corner so easy to spot.
Can't remember the name of the road it junctions with, but it's one of the locations I've marked on this map in red.
Last edited by Stevo on October 18, 2011, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 18, 2011, 8:13 am

KB_Texas wrote:I asked this in another thread, but did not receive a reply.

I have not seen a single liquor store in Udon Thani. I have seen the annex at Lotus, but their selection is quite limited.

Where does one go to buy single malt scotch (Balvenie, Macallan, etc) or Remy-Martin 1738 cognac (or any decent cognac for that matter)? The St. Remy brandy Lotus sells for 5?? baht is not bad, but I certainly would like having some decent scotch and cognac around. I asked at Lotus if they could special order items for me, and was looked at like I had three heads before being told no. ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
KB
Hi KB, not sure about your tastes but you will get those you mention and many more at the wholesale store on Phosri Road . Come out of the immigration, turn right and its on the corner of, I think, the second next turning . Because its wholesale it is not restricted to the retail alcohol selling times .Its not an obvious looking liquor store, more like a typical Thai shop, but when you get inside , it's an alcoholics paradise .Not cheap though a 70cc bottle of single malt will set you back 2.5/3.5 k baht .Whilst the Remy Martin will be nearer 5k . Bottoms up :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 18, 2011, 8:22 am

KB,

the closes the thing resembling a "package store" around is located on Phosi rd caddy corner from the electronics/appliance store with large red TOSHIBA sign.I believe it's the one Stevo is referring to.

Other than Jack Daniels not sure what other "hard" liquor is available, as I normally go for the wines.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 18, 2011, 8:26 am

Thanks guys...my wife said she can find it. (Thanks for the map Stevo!)

And yes, I realize that the cost will probably be high compared to the US, but sometimes you just gotta pay the price for the good stuff. ;)

I was paying $50 US for the Balvenie Doublewood and $50 US for the 1738 Remy, so it was not really cheap there either. But I do enjoy a wee nip or a nice cognac at times, and the St. Remy brandy will work for every day.

Heh, and no, I am not an alcoholic, just someone who enjoys nice things. ;)

Best Regards,
KB

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 18, 2011, 9:06 am

Regarding cost, every so often my wife and a car-load of her friends will make a trip to Nong Khai and take the bus across to the Laos side duty free store. There they will purchase cigarettes and liquor. I know some bargins are to be had but can't say that everything is cheaper. They are limited to a couple of bottles each (I think) and they usually make a day of it shopping at the duty free store and the Indo-Chinese market on the Thailand side. I doubt that the really high end stuff in available there but they carry most well-known brands.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 18, 2011, 9:24 am

Thanks for the info Shado. My wife enjoys going to Nang Khai, but usually stays on the Thai side I think. I will have to ask her. And it is my understanding that it is like $90 for me to go across the bridge and back, so the savings would have to be pretty substantial for me to go. ;)

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » October 18, 2011, 9:58 am

Hi,
Agree with shado. When i used to do a visa run i always got a bottle of glen morangie single malt. A lot cheaper than at Big C. A bottle at Big C costs about 1700B about 800B at border D.F., then. They also have a good selection of wines and cigars. There are a couple of good shops there. Since i stopped B.R's i have not bothered. It costs me 35US dollars to cross, plus photos etc., so not worth it. The Thai wife only paid 50B, i think, to cross. Take a good look around all the D.F shops there before buying.
Cheers Doug

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 18, 2011, 12:32 pm

Well, found the place you guys talked about. Heh, exactly 2 single malts because 'Thai people do not like single malts'. Settled for Glenfiddich and a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP, which was the closest they had to what I wanted. Oh well...I know what I will bring back when I go to the States to visit in April. ;)

Thanks for all the help.
KB

captainahab
udonmap.com

Post by captainahab » October 18, 2011, 12:41 pm

TOPS Supermarket on the third floor of Central Complex has a reasonable selection, particularly of single malt scotch.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » October 18, 2011, 1:11 pm

Definitely Laos.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 18, 2011, 7:36 pm

Be careful when buying whisky from Lao duty free .Your okay with the low volume brands but watch the popular ones , Johny, red and black also Chivas. Many fakes. Went to a friends last week, his bottle of black bought there, had made in England on the bottom of the bottle . :-" :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 19, 2011, 7:48 pm

And you know very well TB that we ENGLISH make blomin' fine GLASS BOTTLES.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 24, 2011, 2:15 pm

Ngeesoon (the old store) has 70cc bottles of Glenmorangie 10yr for 800 baht a bottle. I realize it's at the low end of the single malt scale, but this is Udon!
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/gl ... ld-whisky/

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 24, 2011, 2:33 pm

parrot wrote:Ngeesoon (the old store) has 70cc bottles of Glenmorangie 10yr for 800 baht a bottle. I realize it's at the low end of the single malt scale, but this is Udon!
Heh, yeah, it would seem Glenfiddich 12 or Glenmorangie 10 is your choice for single malts here. ;)

However, one find I must comment about is the St. Remy Brandy sold at Tesco Lotus for 515 baht a bottle. I was afraid it would be swill, but it is actually quite drinkable and of a higher quality than I was expecting for the price. If you like cognac, give this a try. It has a nice smooth finish, with hints of vanilla and warming spice. Almost as good as the Remy VSOP (and maybe better at an almost 4 to 1 ratio) bought downtown for 1950 baht.

KB

rct
udonmap.com

Where to get good liquor? Bourbon?

Post by rct » October 24, 2011, 3:07 pm

Bourbon, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels fans?

The store on Phosri has liters of Heaven Hill bourbon for around 570 baht, compared with 750ml Jack Daniels costing over 1000 baht. In the future they may have more premium bourbons including Single Barrels and Small Batch etc. as some are now coming to Bangkok. Evan Williams is also excellent price and value. Can find information on these at www.heavenhill.com which is the maker.

Bourbons bottled in France, Belgium , Australia etc tend to use younger bourbon (aged less in the barrels), though do not state such on the labels. So bourbon bottled in Kentucky or at least in USA are better quality and gauranteed authentic.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 24, 2011, 3:57 pm

parrot wrote:Ngeesoon (the old store) has 70cc bottles of Glenmorangie 10yr for 800 baht a bottle. I realize it's at the low end of the single malt scale, but this is Udon!
You must be joking. About the price and being lower end.Whilst the "Original "Glenmorangie is the least matured from the cellar, it is still an excellent tipple. I drink 4 bottles a month although I do prefer the Sherry wood. As for the price . I think you have left the 1,000 bht off. I was getting it in their new store and it was 1,600 two years ago. Now they have discontinued it as it wasn't selling in volume .Instead I get it in what used to be Carrfore @ 1,800bht .I will pop in to the old store tomorrow and you can bet if it is 800bht I will buy the lot .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 24, 2011, 4:25 pm

Glenmorangie Original . Winner of double Gold Medal for best single malt whisky in San Fransico last year with a perfection score of 94/100.
http://www.glenmorangie.com/our-whiskies/the-original

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » October 24, 2011, 4:37 pm

trubrit wrote: You must be joking. About the price and being lower end.Whilst the "Original "Glenmorangie is the least matured from the cellar, it is still an excellent tipple. I drink 4 bottles a month although I do prefer the Sherry wood. As for the price . I think you have left the 1,000 bht off. I was getting it in their new store and it was 1,600 two years ago. Now they have discontinued it as it wasn't selling in volume .Instead I get it in what used to be Carrfore @ 1,800bht .I will pop in to the old store tomorrow and you can bet if it is 800bht I will buy the lot .
Bingo...I enjoy the Balvenie Doublewood or Macallan 18 year old Sherry cask a lot. Nothing against Glenmorangie, but it is not what I would reach for first if I had my druthers.

Heh, so the party will be at your house tomorrow night if it is true? ;)

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”