British pies and pastries

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 4, 2012, 1:29 pm

Dean's new muffins are FANTASTIC! Absolutely the best available in Udon (IMO).

Every day I wake up is a good day.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 4, 2012, 2:46 pm

Gentlemen , i have no intention of reading all this thread but just dropt in to clarify ref the sausages/products at CC ........

CC sells approx 150 kgs of ss per week emptying the glass top show freezer and the stock freezer in the rear of the premises EVERY WEEK ,,, they are made and delivered fresh as driven snow ,,, very constistamt , the speciaity ss such as Lorne scotish , JD , Lincolnshire etc are ordered in upon request ,,,,,, the remark about any of them indeed any product in CC being out of date /old etc ...is is total trash talk and plain shitstirring ,,,,by who i dont care tho i have a fairly good idea ,, i wont be dragged into a sausage war because of some folks differing opinions on the taste of a humble sausage or pie or whatever .........

Finally ,,, for anyone wishing to make a problem or stir between business owners on UM or in bar talk is really pathetic ,,, and i will state openly on here i do not have a problem with anyone or any other business ,,,,,, as people do not ONLY use one place to eat /visit business is usually shared even in a tight knit communtity like Udon ,,,

Ive made no bones about my customer base shifting over the last year ,, it was always the business plan to atract more Thais ,, and invariably they have the same spending power as expats .... so all is rosie and the more successful businesss the better for Udon in my opinion .....

Tatty bye

Mash

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 4, 2012, 7:01 pm

Been reet busy today but just had chance to catch up on this thread .......

To add to my previous post bearing in mind TB hasnt frequented CC in almost 3 years i would say it is difficult for for him to from an accurate opinion ref the CC sausage ,,,, unless its a hearsay or second hand remark which is obviously a possibility or a rogue secret sausage .....

suffice to say , or as Mathu says im am indeed a boiled sweety hard on the outside n soft on the inside and irrespective of an apology (sorry TB if i offended ) he (TB) is welcome in CC any time and i believe he knows that ,,, whether or not he wishes to drop by or finds sausage heaven is a matter of choice and taste and everyones taste buds tell a different story .

It is a total impossibilty to have a pack of sausages in CC longer than a week max 10 days as stated the stock is rotated from storage freezer to show freezer with 150 plus kgs per week so i can confidently confirm the only old sausage in CC is the one dangling between my legs can assure all members of that ......... sorry if anyones eating whilst reading .

mash

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 4, 2012, 7:23 pm

I can't see anywhere on here where it was said your sausages are out of date, certainly not by me. My only comment was the last time I tried them , two years ago, your Cumberland sausages tasted nothing like the one I knew from Cumbria.
The reason I don't use your shop is not because I am offended, it would take someone whose opinion I respect to do that , but simply I am selective about the company I keep. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

trubrit
udonmap.com

British pies and pastrieCumberland Sausages

Post by trubrit » October 4, 2012, 7:38 pm

Cumberland sausages are soon to be protected by European law. It will be an offence to call any sausage that doesn't originate from Cumbria by that name .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... U-law.html
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
A Cumberland Sausage meal.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 4, 2012, 11:07 pm

That's not quite true TB.
They Did finally get issued with a PGI (Protected Geographical Indication).
This means that manufacturers who want to call it 'traditional' Cumberland sausage, can only do so, if a member of the scheme.
They also need to be based in Cumbria.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/03/18 ... -sausages/
Last edited by BangkokButcher on October 4, 2012, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 5, 2012, 1:03 am

trubrit wrote:I can't see anywhere on here where it was said your sausages are out of date, certainly not by me. My only comment was the last time I tried them , two years ago, your Cumberland sausages tasted nothing like the one I knew from Cumbria.
The reason I don't use your shop is not because I am offended, it would take someone whose opinion I respect to do that , but simply I am selective about the company I keep. :-"
Arhhhhh well tit appears mi apology hast fallen on deft ears ,,,,,,,,, never mind Tb i can assure a warm welcome would await you if you mellow ref the company you keep MOSTLY VERY PLEASANT EXPATS WITH THE MISSUS and WELL HEELED THAIS so maybe not on the top looking down to coin a phrase ,,,,,,

subject to popular belief i am quite a nice chap , very easy going and a tadge dashing even in my y fronts full of scrumpy .... as stated its your choice ...do not fear for your life if you enter sausage heaven ......... i never turn down a paying customer unless they kick my dog Bisto .

BTW what does Cumbria taste like ?? ...... even a thicket from Scunny got that play on words ,,, please refer to BKKButchers post ref the origin of the Cumberland banger .

well its bed time MATHU I TRIED ,

ull of sausage n scrumpy ,,,,,,, sithee thamorra

mash

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » October 5, 2012, 1:48 am

Blimey you lot get all uptight about named food :shock: ,next we will be having people refuse to say Cornish pasty oop here because I thought the name is protected back in the uk.
Also when next in Bangers I will try and see which Jimmy Dean style sausage or Cornish style pasty or cumberland style sausages that Ville supermarket stock and ask them why they sell and stock items that are so naturally misleading on the packaging. :-k 8)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 5, 2012, 10:15 am

Dear old Dad always said the easy option was to continue a feud, the hard option was to forgive and forget and let bygones be bygones, cmon girls...

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

British pies and pastry's.

Post by harmonyudon » November 6, 2012, 9:39 am

Khun Paul wrote:personally and I do not really care what people say about me, but when one is talking about good food, who gives a damn who makes it or sells it, to bring up the old war about who slags who off is very very childish. In my mind Deans Pies as well as John pies are good as is mali's Pies for that matter . People will buy what they consider the best for them. despite previous posts and slagging off as JS states i do not care. All pies are good some bettter than others.
IF THIS GETS ME BARRED SO BE IT, BUT I THINK NOT CHILDREN LEARN TO PLAY IN THE BIG WIDE WORLD WILL YOU.
Not so often I agree with KP. Never been to Dean's new shop but I ordered Dean Pies and other products
of Dean before for re-sell. And no one ever complained. So it must be good.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 6, 2012, 9:55 am

What about Aussie Pies?

And how are they different from British pies?

Phuket has a very famous local supplier, Susan Usher owner of Lady Pie, and at one stage I know they were looking for an agent in Udon Thani. In additon to operating their own cafe, their central kitchen supplies frozen to many restaurants, retail, and perhaps even more importantly, yachts.

Susan is shown here with Mrs. Balbir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TCP_DEfK0M

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 6, 2012, 10:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vk7rjhsdQk

This is a better video of Susan at her venue in Phuket.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 6, 2012, 10:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMV1kYNg ... re=related

Sorry, can't help myself when I saw this pie advert,,,watch to the end, less than a minute.

Sex sells.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 6, 2012, 10:08 am

A bit of history on Susan from Lady Pie, she learnt her trade from a famous pie pie shop at Nimmitabel on the Snowy Mountains Highway on the Monaro high country, heading from the far South Coast of NSW to Canberra or the ski fields, sheep and cattle country, freezing cold in winter and stinking hot in summer. I'm from the far south coast so we never drove through Nimmitabel without stopping for a pie, now I eat her salad rolls every day, great food and a great lady. Be good if someone became an agent in Udon so when I retire I can keep eating her pie's, the best in Thailand without a doubt!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 6, 2012, 10:21 am

Lady Pies are availble from Croc's Club on Prajak Road.
I think Rosco may be the agent for Udon Thani.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » November 6, 2012, 10:59 am

harmonyudon wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:personally and I do not really care what people say about me, but when one is talking about good food, who gives a damn who makes it or sells it, to bring up the old war about who slags who off is very very childish. In my mind Deans Pies as well as John pies are good as is mali's Pies for that matter . People will buy what they consider the best for them. despite previous posts and slagging off as JS states i do not care. All pies are good some bettter than others.
IF THIS GETS ME BARRED SO BE IT, BUT I THINK NOT CHILDREN LEARN TO PLAY IN THE BIG WIDE WORLD WILL YOU.
True enuff KP

Pies pies n more pies ......... everyones tastes in pies , pastries and their fillings differ and they will purchase wot suits them ... just to clarify and as i once stated on UT i do not have any probs with any other pie maker or supplier , if some one buys a product off me and enjoys it then im happy simple as that , if they choose to say it was good publically thats great ,,,

HOWEVER i get the feeling there are some out there who are baiting myself and Dean at papa farangs bakery into some kind of conflict WELL IT AINT GONNA WORK ,,, i already know Deans products are very good as i used to stock them before whn he stopped baking temporarily several months ago ,, our respective businesses are very different especially since we moved to Nong Sim ... and i wish him well with his business.

Never tried a Phuket lady pie but heard they are very good ,, there are so many pie makers in Thailand now i can recall a friend of mine being the first in Pattaya n Bkk many years ago opening a factory n folks thinking he was daft ,, twood appear not .

mash

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”