Another dog attack yesterday. Looking for pepper spray.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » September 15, 2012, 3:36 pm

antifreeze is much more potent than rat poison

chocolate, I would eat myself! its expensive in thailand!

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 15, 2012, 3:57 pm

My wife is always telling me to watch our dogs don't get out and bite someone, There is a price to pay, at least in my village. It goes without saying that if your dog bites somebody without reason, you are paying the medical bills, and then some.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 15, 2012, 4:11 pm

perhaps not if you're a farang.. I wouldn't want to be a test case though..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 15, 2012, 6:44 pm

I think the village solution to a dog that bites a native or kills a neighbor's chicken is to break the dog's front leg. Breaking a dog's leg is a kinder way of violating Buddha's rule against killing.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 15, 2012, 9:44 pm

Another dog attack yesterday, this time on Ban Sansaran (Lake Garden) a Doctors son was bitten by a loose dog on the estate. The incident was reported to the Police who then came found the dog and the owner and ordered them to pay 6000 baht compo for the kids trauma. The dog was not destroyed.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 15, 2012, 11:53 pm

Where I live the family has two dogs. One, A-tiim, loves people and only growls when the village drunk comes around. I guess he does not like the smell, but he does not bite.

The other dog, A-Bit, lives up to his name, and is very serious. When he was about one he got hit by a motorcycle and disappeared for a few days. His whole body was injured. On his return, I was told that he lost his memory. But he does remember motorcycles. Now he will, if not held back in time, chase them and try to bite the riders. He has bitten two motorcyclists. He has also bitten a neighbour, a young boy of about 11, the grandson of the phuu yaai baan (village headman). The boy's name is 'Ahhm'. A-Bit also snaps at the village drunk.

I told the people that A-Bit would not last long in Canada.

It is strange that the dog has gotten close to me. He wants to follow me everywhere. He wants to romp around and jump up to my shoulders and all that. I talk to him in a stern voice if he gets ready to go after a motorcycle, and he holds back. The male members of the family give him a good hit to the head until he yelps, but he still sometimes will chase the motorcycle anyway.

On my final night on my last trip to Wangthongdaeng, a party was given for me. Poor Ahhm was in tears as he was afraid that A-Bit was going to strike again. However, within an hour Ahhm was feeding the dog pork and they were getting on fine.

My feeling is that this dog should be put down, and the family is talking about it. No-one has asked for compensation, and none has been given. Yet, at times this is a very loyal and loving dog. Even so, it is probably not worth taking the chance because he surely is going to attack people again.

The police, by the way, never come to the village. No-one calls them either as they know the police will demand a sum for having to come out to baan nok.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » September 16, 2012, 12:35 am

Get a plastic squirt-bottle (sports bottle) and fill it with 100% bleach. The next time you see the mutts in the street, give them a face full if they chase you.

As a bonus, you can tell your neighbors to watch out for the white-headed attack dogs.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » September 16, 2012, 8:54 am

gudtymchuk wrote:Redwolf, the owner of the dog is A RETIRED Thai policeman and now a member of the Thai Senate and in the past we have always been on friendly terms. Unfortunately he is away most of the time and the dogs just run loose. I tried a few weeks ago to explain to him the reason he as two empty rental houses is because of the dogs... again, his response was the typical grin. As I said, I am at wits end.
cr4p that stinks, you are in a serious bind -what kind of dog is the lead one? Usually it's a german shepherd or a lab or similar leading thai ridgebacks & others. It's not a pit bull right?

The fact the owner is away most of the time is the key here. This can be sorted by you and the dogs while he's not around for starters. I am sure you've seen a program called Dog Whisperer, -but I'm not sure of your country of origin so maybe not. Cesar Millan is the host of the show, -and basically an expert of the social behaviour of dogs. He's an expert outside of the fact he had a successful TV show. http://www.cesarsway.com/

While dogs can be irrational and annoying at times they do ALWAYS behave in very specific ways. Their focus on defending territory or against danger are the prime reasons they bite or attack. He's a part time house/property dog (e.g. has a home), and part time "roamer" where he probably goes hunting at night with his pack mates.

If you are encountering him during the day then this is likely a home territory issue. I mentioned earlier that kicking the sh#t out of him was an option, maybe that's too harsh (it's a male right?, pls. advise if otherwise).

I have come to respect Cesar Millan's expertise, having raised a pit bull myself back in the US, & also saw a much beloved pit bull of my neighbour in Thailand (who was also a big boss) poisoned over exactly this kind of problem, I can say that the best road is the middle road.

Try to determine if this is a territory issue first. Or if this dog perceives you as a danger (due to some past actions).

You have to home in on what this dog's issue is. My neighbour’s pit was one I used to take care of. I got a new tenant, and the guy "introduced" his dog in the wrong way while my neighbour's pit bull was visiting me for a morning snack, and the new tenant's dog was an adopted old ruff & tumble soi to dog to boot, the former alpha dog of it's former territory. It just followed his truck in down the soi. And it got it's face nearly ripped off for coming into our neighbour's pits territory as had happened to so many other wandering soi dogs.

I tried to advise him weeks prior to introduce the dog in a proper way so it could be worked into the pack that guarded our area. He totally ignored this like an idiot saying his dog was always a boss dog, and basically provoked our pit further, zapping it with stun guns, etc. What started as a pack issue turned into a full-on war between him, his dog and our neighbour’s pit. He even pulled a knife at one point & took a bad beating for it. He lost the face that day & less than 48 hours later one of his massage parlor girlfriends dropped a steak with poison in front of the neighbor's place where they had the dog chained up, and that was it, our beloved buddy Maknam was dead. He'd guarded the children and homes without incident on a 200 rai estate & elephant reserve and was sweet as pie. But he was a dog. He could only behave as his DNA allowed. His DNA, as with many dogs is programmed with signals about pack rank, territory and danger. Under the right conditions, he thrived, under the wrong ones, he was killed as a result.

The dog you are having issues with clearly faces the same fate for very similar reasons. -But if you nail down if this is a "guarding territory" issue, or a "defending/attacking perceived danger" issue, -this website http://www.cesarsway.com/ has a forum as well as a section on aggression. They are slightly geared toward owners but still you can find out valuable info.

http://www.cesarsway.com/community/sess ... -Behaviors

There's a difference between fear when being approached close-on, and attacking, and a "red zone" type of issue where the dog will simply go on the attack upon sighting you from any distance. A typical "pack" behaviour might be to submit, by giving food repeatedly, not looking it in the eye, which would grant you a "passing by" privilege.

There are other resources/forums than this one that are specific to sorting this out. Good luck whatever happens. This situation closely follows what some would refer to as a "catch-22".
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » September 16, 2012, 9:30 am

If I were you I definitely would not go for option # 2.
You’ve already complained about the dogs to the owner so no CSI will be required to blame the dogs’ death on you, and you can be pretty sure the owners will retaliate, most likely in a surreptitious manner.

You’re in a no-win situation so, as has already been suggested, go talk to the puyaiban/Tessaban.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » February 7, 2013, 10:10 pm

For a reason other than dog problems I am also looking for pepper spray or even better, a stun gun. Has anyone seen any of these items in or around Udon?
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 8, 2013, 6:35 am

Alchai wrote:For a reason other than dog problems I am also looking for pepper spray or even better, a stun gun. Has anyone seen any of these items in or around Udon?
Not sure about pepper spray, but have seen stun guns at a small kiosk in front of the express check out lane at the old Big C.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » February 8, 2013, 8:16 am

Thanks Papa. I'll check that out.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 8, 2013, 8:58 am

Alchai wrote:For a reason other than dog problems I am also looking for pepper spray or even better, a stun gun. Has anyone seen any of these items in or around Udon?
Alchai, go to Big-C on Phosri Rd. corner of Ring Rd. There's a small shop upstairs in the vendor area just outside the rows of check-out counters that sells swat type items. I believe the pepper spray is 490 baht. It's located in a glass counter.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » February 8, 2013, 7:54 pm

Thanks Sem, I did just that today. They are out of stun guns at the moment but I purchased a can of pepper spray for 299B.

udon john

Post by udon john » January 6, 2014, 1:58 pm

Coming in a bit late on this thread, but if you have this kind of problem my usual 2 options are:
1. Attack the problem. I drive directly at local dogs that have bothered me, they generally learn to keep out of the way. My gf thinks I'm crazy :) but it works for me.
2. If option 1 is not viable then option 2 is to befriend the dogs as suggested by Jello. Provided you are not fearful of the dogs, I believe it is better to stop the bike and toss them the treats. Do this outside their home.
Dogs are simple creatures and, when food is involved, are usually fast learners. The Thai dogs that run around the streets generally don't have caring owners, so when they are used to you stopping, give them a bit of fuss.

The 2 problem dogs on my gf mother's street now chase everybody but us. Because I stop outside their home they don't even bother chasing me, they wait for me to come to them. Initially, treat in both directions. Once they are used to you, just treat them on the way out or on the way in.
The potential bonus for befriending the dogs, particularly in the circumstance experienced by gudtymchuk, is p*ssing off the owner :)

The idea of pepper spraying a nuisance dog/dogs does have a certain amount of revenge satisfaction.

urban legend

Post by urban legend » January 6, 2014, 4:19 pm

Thai dogs are daft they lay in the middle of the road to say they are fast learners is just not correct fight fire with fire if they become aggressive be twice as aggressive back with a large tree branch \:D/

udon john

Post by udon john » January 7, 2014, 9:55 am

urban legend, I like that kind of problem resolution :)
If attacking a dog with a large tree branch is an option, then yes, go for it. Will show your position as an aggressor and as such, a dominant alpha male.
It's not always an option though. The situation we had involved a friend of the gf's family. I'm fairly new to Thailand and don't want to be causing too many waves with the locals. Giving them treats resolved the problem in 3 days. I would say that was fairly fast learning.
As for lying in the middle of the road - can't argue with that. The locals driving motorbikes sometimes show an equal disdain for self-preservation. For both dogs and locals, you can only get away with it for so long. Eventually you will learn the hard way.

urban legend

Post by urban legend » January 7, 2014, 2:45 pm

It,s the territorial owners dogs that are the problem the limping flee bitten soi dogs are pretty much easy going ... My suggestion if they try to bite you or a family member ,abduct it and turn it in to them dog loving people from Nakon Sakon in a passing truck who will give you a handy gift suck as a bucket for you trouble. As for the aggressive hound ,consequently the hound of the baskervilles will be topping the menu (The way it is don't shoot the messenger) :?

Its only a problem if you mate it so ... Now let the good times roll :D

udon john

Post by udon john » January 7, 2014, 6:34 pm

I've eaten many things over the years, but never had the opportunity to try dog.
It is on my bucket list.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 7, 2014, 9:47 pm

when I go for long walks in the area I generally take a hefty bamboo walking staff.. That would be my ultimate weapon against an aggressive dog. thus far, I've never had to use it.. The old stooping down as if you're picking up a rock (without even doing it) works nearly every time.. When those mangy curs see you bend down, they high tail it, every time.. Occasionally, I've had some come back and then I've actually picked up a rock and have managed to bean a couple of them..
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”