Another dog attack yesterday. Looking for pepper spray.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2012, 7:42 am

Yesterday my g/f and I were once again attacked by the same pack of mongrel soi dogs while riding the motorbike to the local market. Repeated requests to the owner of these 4 dogs to do something has gotten nothing more than the typical stupid grin and blank stare. Can anyone recommend a shop where I can get a less lethal deterrent than rat poison such as pepper spray or mace. I really don't want to kill or permanently maim the dogs but I am at my wits end to do something.

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

poocman
udonmap.com

Post by poocman » September 15, 2012, 7:55 am

The Thailand dog problem is not going to go away... all you doing is winding yourself up... Spraying dogs with pepper spray will only get you bitten or beaten up by one of the owners... if you know where the dogs are don't be stupid... take a detour... fighting with the owners or the dogs could be life threatening for you...

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » September 15, 2012, 8:16 am

gudtymchuk wrote:Yesterday my g/f and I were once again attacked by the same pack of mongrel soi dogs while riding the motorbike to the local market. Repeated requests to the owner of these 4 dogs to do something has gotten nothing more than the typical stupid grin and blank stare. Can anyone recommend a shop where I can get a less lethal deterrent than rat poison such as pepper spray or mace. I really don't want to kill or permanently maim the dogs but I am at my wits end to do something.
As soon as you whip out a weapon owner's going to suddenly jump in and get nuts on you, and has been hoping you would, he's just waiting for you to make the first move that he can use as an excuse. That's why he, as alpha leader, lets them do it. Probably jealous & even a bit racist, or at best unkind.

So you might have to step to him with someone he won't clown on. Don't know how many bloodthirsty cops you know (and pay 2-3k baht) that can have a little chat with him, but if this is on your way in/out from your daily routine it's time to break the owner off some.

I'd have a Thai handle it though. No matter what. Even soi dogs have higher rank than we do here.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2012, 8:26 am

poocman wrote:The Thailand dog problem is not going to go away... all you doing is winding yourself up... Spraying dogs with pepper spray will only get you bitten or beaten up by one of the owners... if you know where the dogs are don't be stupid... take a detour... fighting with the owners or the dogs could be life threatening for you...
Poocman, I'm not stupid. I live on a dead end street and have no OTHER way out. Yes, I am trying to move as soon as I can find somewhere else to live but in the meantime I have to do something to protect me and my family.
Redwolf, the owner of the dog is A RETIRED Thai policeman and now a member of the Thai Senate and in the past we have always been on friendly terms. Unfortunately he is away most of the time and the dogs just run loose. I tried a few weeks ago to explain to him the reason he as two empty rental houses is because of the dogs... again, his response was the typical grin. As I said, I am at wits end.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » September 15, 2012, 8:38 am

Take them out. Don't muck around with pepper spray just annoys the dogs. Anyone with a dog need to give it training - easy to do. I was trained how to train dogs and it's no hard thing to do. Here, the owners don't care what their dogs get up to and there's no discipline for them. In Western countries you can report the owner and something gets done, but not here.

Small dogs are a nuisance - big dogs can take a chunk out of you (or some small kid) or make you have an accident. Then it's costs - hospital, tetanus shots, motorbike repair, etc, etc. We've one next door that I'm just waiting for an opportunity to take out permanently after it attacked my dog twice and went for me twice. And it's not small - it's a 30kg pit bull thing. It's bad enough it going for me, but we've also 3 young kids that wouldn't stand a chance. When it went for me, the owner just laughed and smiled. Great.

It's a lousy situation. Do nothing and put up with being attacked all the time. Do something and possibly have the owner come down hard. I think I can put up with the owner saying something - certainly preferable to having a chunk torn out of my leg or one of my kids attacked.

I've a dog - trained him for endless hours and he's pretty well behaved, doesn't chase bikes, people etc. Friends with everyone (as lab retrievers usually are). Even nice dogs can be a pain with no training - get something like a pit bull and let it run wild and you're asking for trouble.

Cheers and good luck - get the rat stuff

Phil

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2012, 8:42 am

Philrjones wrote:Take them out. get the rat stuff

Phil
Thanks Phil, Yep, that's option #2.

poocman
udonmap.com

Post by poocman » September 15, 2012, 8:49 am

Advice... Put up with it until you move... You're in a no win situation... Injuring a Thai policeman's or ex- policeman's dog could well have you looking down the muzzle of his handgun... at best looking through the bars at the local police station... You are just an irritating nobody "falang" to him... don't expect him to listen to you... At your wits end...?? Maybe Thailand's not for you... :-k

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2012, 8:52 am

poocman wrote:Advice... Put up with it until you move... You're in a no win situation... Injuring a Thai policeman's or ex- policeman's dog could well have you looking down the muzzle of his handgun... at best looking through the bars at the local police station... You are just an irritating nobody "falang" to him... don't expect him to listen to you... At your wits end...?? Maybe Thailand's not for you... :-k
No, fools and narcissists like you are not for me.

poocman
udonmap.com

Post by poocman » September 15, 2012, 8:59 am

No you are the "fool" to even think about hurting or killing a Policeman's dog...?? :-k You got a death wish or something... ? like I said Thailand may not be the best or safest for you...

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » September 15, 2012, 9:19 am

Every situation is different. As for me, I've ridden my bicycle about 2000km around Udon over the last several months. I have encountered dogs many many times. My observation is that most of the dogs that will chase you are not "street" dogs. Street dogs can't afford to get injured in some usless bit of fun. Therefore, most will back away, when challenged, if not in a pack. Only a couple of times have I encountered a large street dog that will not back down, despite rocks thrown at it, etc. Anyway, over this time I have used two bottles of pepper spray. Deploying it whilst being attacked on a bike isn't that easy, let me tell you. I fell once when a dog just nipped my ankle. But, if you can leave a cloud (swerve a little while they trail after you) in your wake, they will get hit by it. So far, knock on wood, the next time I encounter the same pack, they move aside, looking aggressive, as if they lost face, but they are too afraid to do anything. The problem with pepper spray is, it doesn't hit them fast enough... they keep coming, so you need to keep moving until they start to feel the effect.

Also, a couple of times up in the hills I've encounterd some Thai folk that were not too friendly with me, so there is always that pepper spray handy... for the often quoted "darling, they will steal your kidney" encounter :D

As far as owners getting involved, I had one encounter. So far, most have not given me a problem, for whatever reason.

Oh, there are a few shops in the market at Nong Khai that sell Prik Thai. They also sell B-B guns. I asked a Thai gentleman why he was buying a BB gun, his response was... you guessed it. For me, that is not really an option.

I for one am not going to get Rabies if I can help it!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 15, 2012, 9:21 am

If I was in your position, I would have no hesitation in adopting option #2.

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » September 15, 2012, 9:26 am

Give chocolate to the dogs it 's not as obvious as rat poison and it insulates you from legal troubles if the owner is a retired policeman.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 15, 2012, 9:34 am

If you live in the city go to the Tesaban, they have a dog catcher. He will come to your residence, catch the dog and take it away.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2012, 9:36 am

poocman wrote: like I said Thailand may not be the best or safest for you...
What an idiotic statement. So one of your criteria for being a "good fit' for living in Thailand is the willingness to have your family or yourself attacked and bitten by a pack of Soi Mongrels? Just a reminder, mr poocman, I was asking for advice where to purchase pepper spray. Not for advice on how to survive in Thailand, so save it for someone else.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 15, 2012, 9:42 am

If it was me, I'd leave the bike at home and use the pick-up. ;)
A PITA I know, but safer all round.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 15, 2012, 9:47 am

jackspratt wrote:If I was in your position, I would have no hesitation in adopting option #2.
I concur, option #2. Otherwise pepper spray, but haven't seen here. Maybe tasadet market in Nong Khai or make yourself just google.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » September 15, 2012, 10:09 am

Interesting suggestion re chocolate. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.dogsandchocolate.net/dogs-and-chocolate.php

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 15, 2012, 10:23 am

This is what I've done. May or may not work for you.
Dog's on my street that use to chase me, I stated tossing dog treats to them every time I rode by.
They still chase after me, but now their wagging their tails rather than biting at my feet.
Can take some time, but it's always worked for me (with dogs that see me everyday). Best to try this first.

You can complain to your puuyabaan if you have one or if in the city you can go to the tessabaan with your complaint.
They will send someone out to check out the situation. I know a guy who did this, the guy from the tessabaan talked to the dog owner and the owner then started keeping the dog's locked up behind the fence after that. If the dog has bitten you then you should also make a police report. They most likely won't do anything, but you will have it on record if the situation gets worse. These may not solve the problem but will show the dog owner that your not backing down.

I also know one guy who used the ultimate solution, a few days later, new dogs! :lol:
UFF DA!

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » September 15, 2012, 12:10 pm

There are at least three stalls at the Nong Khai market that sell it. One shop is what we'd call an Army-Navy type shop in the US. He sells a black can, with "Police" marked on the outside. That stuff is pretty weak, better to buy the smaller cannister that is yellow and black with a red safety lock top if I recall correctly. If you want to make sure they get the message the first time, get the latter can.

Option #2... yeah, I have certainly reconsidered it a few times. I wanted to go back and kill the whole pack that knocked me off my bike... but jai yen yen . I suppose Option #2 is kosher with the law?

Chocolate, I never knew that. At 4-500THB for a can of pepper spray, it might be worth trying. But somehow I think tossing chocolate at a pack of dogs chasing you isn't gonna hack it.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 15, 2012, 2:03 pm

guess it is a Farang/Thai thing.. We have Thai relatives whose dog bit a person in the village and they were directed by the village chief to pay 3,000 baht compensation to the victim which was to cover everything..
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”