Apple Cider

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by parrot » January 16, 2013, 6:32 pm

What you see isn't always what you get......especially here in Thailand. I'm a fan of Tipco juices.....Ngeesoon sells liter containers for about 53 baht each......I especially like the wide variety of orange juices. I spotted this container of "APPLE CIDER 100% natural and no sugar added" and decided to give it a try. It tasted fine, but not like the apple cider I grew up with in New England. A quick check of the finer print on the front says:
30% pomegranate juice with grape seed extracts. Then a check of the print on the side says: Apple Cider 6%

The grape seed extracts equate to 0.02%.......so pomegranate @ 30% + apple cider @ 6% + grade seed extracts @ 0.02% = 36.02%.
I've poured over the label several times to try and uncover what the remaining 73.08% is........but I can't figure it out from the Thai or from the limited English. Whatever it is, it sure isn't 100% Apple Cider!
Attachments
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG

Barney
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by Barney » January 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Probably Aqua Puree

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by gudtymchuk » January 16, 2013, 6:50 pm

Truth in advertising, Thai style :lol:
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

KB_Texas

Apple Cider

Post by KB_Texas » January 16, 2013, 6:59 pm

I think the rest is water. It states it is made from concentrate, so they would add water. They do the same thing in the States, though add water as an ingredient or say 'made from concentrate' if it is made from concentrate I think. Been awhile, so may be way off base here. ;)

I do remember buying 'Pure' Apple Juice once, where in the fine print it said something like 'up to 18% grape juice from concentrate'. If it is actually MADE from Apple Cider, they do not have to list the water as a separate ingredient. Labeling laws are hard to figure in the States, where they are fairly regulated. Here? Who knows? ;)

KB

Disclaimer: This is what I remember to the best of my knowledge. It may be wrong. I am not a lawyer or consumer affairs expert, nor do I play either on TV.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Apple Cider

Post by pienmash » January 16, 2013, 10:00 pm

I saw in Ngee Soon ,, bought some cos curious ,,, my opinion as i regular drinker of cider from its Home Somerset England .. nonsense with a capital T .... how thaes manufacturers can get away with such infringments is disgraceful ,,,,,,, makes me wanna re think my Sub2u sign colour change ,,, seriously its as close to apple cider as somtam n fish n chips .

mash

Barney
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by Barney » January 17, 2013, 5:06 am

KB_Texas has backed me up with the water in the cider. I was just trying to be HISO and say aqua puree.
It will be water added to the concentrate.

Being a newbie on this UM forum and having observed usually with a smile some of the "straight to the point" comments I cannot believe the forum sharks have not circled and picked Parrot up on his calculated percentage breakdown of the Cider contents. :-"

KB_Texas

Apple Cider

Post by KB_Texas » January 17, 2013, 6:30 am

Barney wrote:KB_Texas has backed me up with the water in the cider. I was just trying to be HISO and say aqua puree.
It will be water added to the concentrate.

Being a newbie on this UM forum and having observed usually with a smile some of the "straight to the point" comments I cannot believe the forum sharks have not circled and picked Parrot up on his calculated percentage breakdown of the Cider contents. :-"
Ah, I thought aqua puree was an instant water extract or somesuch. :-" ;)
parrot wrote:The grape seed extracts equate to 0.02%.......so pomegranate @ 30% + apple cider @ 6% + grade seed extracts @ 0.02% = 36.02%.
I've poured over the label several times to try and uncover what the remaining 73.08% is........

;) I think his fingers were just off one key....63.98%. Off by one on both lead numbers. :lol:

As for the sharks...hence the disclaimer. :-"

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by parrot » January 17, 2013, 7:39 am

Help! Shark! I'm bleeding.....and my left arm is missing!

Thank you for pointing out my miscalculation, Barney. Ooops, I just opened my eyes and realized the second calculating error! Now my right arm is missing!

My apologies for not breaking out the calculator.

Barney
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by Barney » January 17, 2013, 7:58 am

Reading other posts you and your calculator could get a job as cashier at Mt Tongs to remedy the 10bht discrepencies. :lol: :lol:

Why is there no alcohol in this cider?
When i was a young lad growing up in Aussie land Apple cider always had an alcohol content and in fact in the 70's it was not banned but the % of alcohol was reduced because it was then about 10%, easy to get in crates and we were all turning in to AA meeting candidates. Then when i went to the UK as a young tourist in 1980 I found out that it was put 50/50 into pint glasses mixed with beer (snake bite I think). Jesus that knocked you head off once it caught up to you afetr 3 or 4 pints. Disappointing to see the status of Cider is now reduced to Juice on supermarket shelves.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Apple Cider

Post by pienmash » January 17, 2013, 8:04 am

Barney wrote:Reading other posts you and your calculator could get a job as cashier at Mt Tongs to remedy the 10bht discrepencies. :lol: :lol:

Why is there no alcohol in this cider?
When i was a young lad growing up in Aussie land Apple cider always had an alcohol content and in fact in the 70's it was not banned but the % of alcohol was reduced because it was then about 10%, easy to get in crates and we were all turning in to AA meeting candidates. Then when i went to the UK as a young tourist in 1980 I found out that it was put 50/50 into pint glasses mixed with beer (snake bite I think). Jesus that knocked you head off once it caught up to you afetr 3 or 4 pints. Disappointing to see the status of Cider is now reduced to Juice on supermarket shelves.
REAL CIDER with copius amounts of alcohol , infact way too much for some !!! is readily available in Udon ,, bottles , cans and even draught all at the same location ,,,,,,, dam i just cant recall the name of the place ,,, dashingly handsome fella runs the place ,,nar it will come to me later.

Mash

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by merchant seaman » January 17, 2013, 8:21 am

Thought only Chern Chim's sold real cider. Hope you remember the name of the place with the handsome fella might be cheaper there

douglas
udonmap.com

Apple Cider

Post by douglas » January 17, 2013, 9:22 am

Hi,
Cant beat a good pint of scrumpy. Was living down at W.S.M. in the early 60s, great stuff.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”