Villa Market

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » March 31, 2013, 11:37 am

Sounds similar to the Complex,roped off areas for the Laoites,have they amended the sign yet :-k

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by gudtymchuk » March 31, 2013, 12:19 pm

Made a quick pass thru of Villa Market. Overall impression was more than my expectations. Quite a bigger selection than Tops with a nice deli selection of meats and cheeses. Hopefully they will keep the current stock of goods and I will be a frequent shopper. Gotta watch at checkout as they were offering several products at buy 1, get 1 free but when we checked out had to tell the cashier to make good on the promotion.... :lol: :lol:
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by merchant seaman » March 31, 2013, 6:41 pm

Well was anxiously awaiting some price quotes. Anyone see the prices for Bookhouse prepared meals or for Pappa Farangs Pasties and Pies? Will go take a look tomorrow or the next day. I would imagine the prices would be quite a bit lower at the source.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

howard
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by howard » March 31, 2013, 7:10 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Well was anxiously awaiting some price quotes. Anyone see the prices for Bookhouse prepared meals or for Pappa Farangs Pasties and Pies? Will go take a look tomorrow or the next day. I would imagine the prices would be quite a bit lower at the source.
I first went to Papa Farangs a couple of weeks ago. Met the owner Dean. He produces a good stock of various foods which he makes on the premises. Bought some nice ' Crusty loaves' I think they were about 50 baht each. Good stock of pasties and pies from 30 baht. Bought a jar of his home made pickled onions, delicious, as were his Cumberland sausages. Sorry can't be more specific with prices so go and have a look as you have suggested :D

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » March 31, 2013, 7:22 pm

Twas difficult trying to zoom in on the picture on the other channel but am sure the spaghetti bolognaise meal sold in Villa is cheaper than dining at the Bookhouse.Bangers and mash,cannot see the price solly 8)
Options,options,options uptoyou \:D/ ,buy cheaper at source except dining in a restaurant, or buy at Villa with their profit margin on top 8)

Prices are the key to the thrifty farang of Udonsville :D Sometimes I lose my senses and blow a wad of cash in establishments like Villa,Walkers crisps are too tempting whatever the price :shock: :cry: 8)

Jello
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Jello » April 1, 2013, 10:49 am

pompui wrote:am sure the spaghetti bolognaise meal sold in Villa is cheaper than dining at the Bookhouse.
And about a tenth of the cost to make it yourself. Spaghetti's cheap and easy to make at home. If you want to go out for dining, fine. I can't see any reason to buy pre-made take-home spaghetti when your already at a store that sells everything you need to make it yourself.
pompui wrote:Options,options,options uptoyou \:D/ ,buy cheaper at source except dining in a restaurant, or buy at Villa with their profit margin on top 8)
Or go to the real source (Makro), buy the ingredient and make your own food.
That would be the true-
pompui wrote: thrifty farang of Udonsville :D

8)
pompui wrote:Sometimes I lose my senses and blow a wad
Yes, I've had that experience many times in Thailand also... :lol:
UFF DA!

American
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by American » April 1, 2013, 11:36 pm

I didn't take down prices, but I did notice that several everyday items were much cheaper there than Tops or Big C. There were a few imported items on sale (buy one get one free) which made the prices reasonable. You might be able to make out some prices in the photos...

Here's a shot of the cheese selection my wife took at the Villa Market....
20130331_134803 (Medium).jpg
And essentials if you're a Southern boy like me and gotta have your corn bread and grits...
20130331_133742 (Medium).jpg
And my personal favorite, Dr. Pepper and Mtn. Dew...
20130331_135733 (Medium).jpg

American
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by American » April 2, 2013, 12:01 am

American Breakfast Cereal.... (230-260 baht for a big box)
20130331_134035 (Medium).jpg
Kosher Dill Pickles... (200 baht)
20130331_133806 (Medium).jpg
Snack foods (notice the Vanilla Wafers... banana puddin' Mmmmmm).....
20130331_134206 (Medium).jpg

American
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by American » April 2, 2013, 12:17 am

For those folks with Celiac disease or otherwise on a gluten-free diet you'll be happy to know that the Villa is one of the only places in Thailand that carries an assortment of gluten free items.

(BTW, no I don't work for Villa. Just a shopper excited about grits and Dr. Pepper)
20130331_140132 (Medium).jpg
20130331_133726 (Medium).jpg
20130331_134053 (Medium).jpg
20130331_133844 (Medium).jpg

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » April 2, 2013, 6:36 am

Thanks for the photos American 8)

Note of some of the prices shown in a photo on the other channel 8)

Yellow Peaches 300 baht/kilo
White Nectarine 300 baht/kilo
Brown Pears 189baht/kilo
Black Plums 320baht/kilo
Black seedless grapes 279baht/kilo

Svein66
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Svein66 » April 2, 2013, 7:24 am

American wrote:Snack foods (notice the Vanilla Wafers... banana puddin' Mmmmmm).....
20130331_134206 (Medium).jpg
It looks like Wasa "knekkebrød" at the right on the top shelf... :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Shado » April 2, 2013, 8:38 am

Very informative and nicely presented post American. Yes, the cornmeal, Dr. Pepper and grits will fit nicely in my shopping basket. Thanks for the info.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Villa Market

Post by pienmash » April 2, 2013, 9:34 am

Shall go up for a mooch round one evening this week to check out the Cheshire /Feta cheese and of course to price check products that both CC and VM stock ... looks like a very impressive place from initial feedback .

mash

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » April 2, 2013, 9:40 am

I will have to pop in also with my notebook and pen to get some more prices on forum :D Glad they do not mind photos being taken =D> ,shall see if I get followed by their security :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Villa Market

Post by pienmash » April 2, 2013, 10:01 am

pompui wrote:I will have to pop in also with my notebook and pen to get some more prices on forum :D Glad they do not mind photos being taken =D> ,shall see if I get followed by their security :D
If you get chance pomps can you get a few prices on VM staple imported dry goods to compare against the corresponding CC prices on the same items ,,,cheeky i know but aint gonna get up there myself till later in the week and interested to know if they are adopting BK pricing here in Udonsville .

mash

trubrit
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by trubrit » April 2, 2013, 10:07 am

I have heard they have their own car park away from the multi story. Apparently like their other stores get a ticket stamped for free parking when you check out. Can anyone confirm? This would be great for me as I don't want the hassle of going round and round to park when there is no other shops that interest me. If so where is it? Opposite the Bangkok Bank entrance?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by merchant seaman » April 2, 2013, 11:51 am

Just made a trip to the all talked abou Villa Market. If you enter across from the main Bangkok Bank there is VIP parking for Villa and alo for Laos customers. Many products not seen in Udon before. For the Yanks, Hot Pockets, Stouffer's French bread Pizza, Johnsonville Italain Sausges hot and mild, Johnsonville breakfat pork sausage patties and links. Dry breakfast cereals from the states 280-300 baht a box. Most if not all of Bookhouse meals priced at 180 baht but very small portions. Pappa Farang pies 75 and 80 baht each, pasites 90 or 95 baht. Overall some very good and never seen before selections but if you are on a 20-30,000 baht monthly budget you won't be making too any trips to Villa. I won't be doing the weekly shopping there but will on occassion go treat myself to things no where else available in Udon
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by papaguido » April 2, 2013, 12:08 pm

just back myself. Picked up Jalepeno jack cheese 226g for 105bt and Monterrey Jack same price (a lot cheaper then Mainland cheese). Pop tarts & Apple Jacks for the kids :^o and Grape nut cereal for me. Nice range of Mexican food products, especially torillas. Both Danitas & El Charro, flour, corn & wholewheat. Triskets to go with my Jalepeno cheese Also saw that they had graham cracker pie crust and regular pie crust. An much more already mentioned.

Shado
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Shado » April 2, 2013, 2:08 pm

We must not have been too far behind you papaguido. Picked up some speciality items including Calamata olives, Greek yogurt, baby carrots (the wife's favorite after visiting the states), Tricuits (go with just about anything), Provolone cheese, (goes very will with Triscuits), yellow corn meal, grits, tortillas, and a bunch of other things that brought the total bill to ฿3,000. Four small plastic bags of items.

I like the place. I will go again whenever I'm looking for that certain something. Just happy to have the availability in Udon. Suspect that 80% or more of our shopping will be at other venues but would not hesitate to go to Villa Market to get that elusive item not found in other markets. I'll be back!

KB_Texas

Villa Market

Post by KB_Texas » April 2, 2013, 2:20 pm

Can you remember what the calamata olives cost Shado? Also, they have Greek yogurt, did anyone see real Greek Feta (sheeps milk)? I will go down Thursday and look around too. Sounds like they do have a wide selection of 'new' things for UT. :)

KB

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”