Villa Market

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
malc123
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by malc123 » April 3, 2013, 1:36 pm

I was in there yesterday, brought Branston small chunk pickle 360g 129 baht, they also had the regular, only had chicken OXO did not buy, brought a Wholemeal loaf small 6o baht was not very good. Did not think much of the breads as I like brown bread. Did have chocolate Hobnobs at 74 baht.

They did not have any gravy apart from in packets for one meal, not from abroad, and expensive I thought.

Over all enjoyed shopping in there and looking for new things. Spent 900.00baht went to pay with my BKK ATM they could not get it to work, wife had to go to ATM across the road for cash.

Tops had in Bisto Original gravy powder at 137baht 227g

malc123

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » April 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

Maybe need someone to recheck then,any takers.Prices are correct,weight seems a problem :oops: :D

KB_Texas

Villa Market

Post by KB_Texas » April 3, 2013, 1:40 pm

I am going tomorrow Pomps...will check it out and report on these things, as they are of interest to me. Will also report on anything else I notice. :)

KB

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by BigBubba » April 3, 2013, 6:22 pm

Wow, where to begin. First impression was the A/C was cranked... didn't walk around the place sweating like a pig. In fact, by the time I left I was a little chilly. I'll bet the Thais are FREEZING in there! Probably plenty of high beams on ;) . Second impression was they have a lot to offer in a relatively small space. The aisles are a bit narrow. Third, and just a general observation, is that some prices are higher, but some are lower, even than Makro. So, as with shopping anywhere, it pays to do your homework.

I haven't been home in 2 years, so it was funny to run into things that I had forgotten about, or just totally given up on. I didn't make notes or take photos, and I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so I try to report on what I can. Earlier prices for steaks I'm sure were per 100 GRAM. The selection is extensive. From Australian and New Zealand through USDA (American) PRIME Cut and ranged from 140 - 445 per 100 gram. Ground beef was 220b per kilo, comparable to other places. PLUS, they had a Ground ROUND for 260b per kilo. I presume this is leaner beef.

Then I turned down the soft drink aisle. My arm automatically reached for the Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew... until I saw the price tag, 45 baht, PER CAN. Sorry, can't do that. Same for Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, "on sale" for 299b per pint (down from 399!). But let's face it, shipping frozen products from the States HAS to be expensive. Then tack on the duty :-k

Pickle selection was excellent. At least 4 brands, maybe more. Bought 2 today, Vlassic Kosher Dills for 200b and Haywards Whole Gerkins 129b, both big jars. Sorry, don't know exact weight.

The cheese selection, when added together with their deli, is absolutely massive. Only one I bought today, Jalapeno Jack from California, 105b for 8 oz pack (226g).

Sour cream. They carry Foremost brand at 44b per cup (comparable to Tesco, more than Makro) but they also had a local brand for 32b per cup. Plenty of other choices in whole milks, cooking creams, and the like. FORGOT to look for buttermilk :(

Saw a wall of bread, but that stuff's not on my current diet, so didn't look too close.

Parking. I had business to do in Bangkok Bank, so I found a spot on Prajak Rd, walked over to the bank, then to Villa. For a light shopping trip it was a breeze! Used my BKK Debit Card in Villa with no problem.

Overall, a great experience and I'll definately be back. Will I do all my shopping there? Of course not, but I didn't do that in America either. Although Walmart got about 90% of my business!
IMG_4469 (640x478).jpg
Oh, I forgot the hashbrown patties! 125b for a 10 pack, in the frozen foods.

AND, last but certainly not least... LIQUID SMOKE, an essential for making kick a** barbque sauce ;)
Every day I wake up is a good day.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by trubrit » April 3, 2013, 7:48 pm

Well where do I start? Parking I guess. Went straight to where I had been told was the Villa VIP park . Guess what? It was closed as the entire area was being used as yet another flea market. You know the sort of thing, old ladies squatting on a mat selling literally everything .Security directed me to the multi story. Went up 5 floors , tyres squealing all the way. due to the tight turns. No spaces big enough to get my truck in without doing at least 10 3 point turns .Gave up and came down to park on the road. Wish I hadn't bothered. Very little to interest the European farang but possibly of interest to the Mexicans, or lovers of that food .Went to CC and got everything I needed and enjoyed 2 1/2 pints of speckled hen with pleasant conversation thrown in for free .Got that out of my system. Won't bother to go there again.Will stick to CC and Papa Farangs when I need a taste of home .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by parrot » April 3, 2013, 8:22 pm

Bubba, don't know the price for that baking soda, but you can buy thai baking soda at the little baking supply shop in between bangkok bank and Siam commercial bank for a very reasonable price.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by BigBubba » April 3, 2013, 8:42 pm

parrot wrote:Bubba, don't know the price for that baking soda, but you can buy thai baking soda at the little baking supply shop in between bangkok bank and Siam commercial bank for a very reasonable price.
Yeah, I know. It was the Arm & Hammer Brand that caught my eye. Only 35b and large size for keeping open in the fridge.

Forgot to mention earlier... Alcohol, Beer, and Wine. Also, an extensive selection. an individual of Beers, longneck bottles, 81 baht. Stella Artois, 111 baht. Large wine collection from several origins. Full wall of hard liquors, some cheaper than "chinese liquor store" on Posri Rd. (not Jack Daniels :( )
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Prenders88 » April 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

First impressions of Villa Market, were not good, as you have to walk across a market taking place on the floor to get to it. The prices were a laugh, peaches 300 baht a kilo, and strawberries 500 baht a punnet. Vegetable prices were frankly, taking the pi$$. You can find almost everything Villa sell much cheaper if you shop around. Meat did not impress, 91 baht for stewing steak for pieces you could count on one hand. I'll stick to Alain at Udon Delice and Jon at Chern Chim.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Svein66 » April 3, 2013, 9:12 pm

Prenders88 wrote:First impressions of Villa Market, were not good, as you have to walk across a market taking place on the floor to get to it. The prices were a laugh, peaches 300 baht a kilo, and strawberries 500 baht a punnet. Vegetable prices were frankly, taking the pi$$. You can find almost everything Villa sell much cheaper if you shop around. Meat did not impress, 91 baht for stewing steak for pieces you could count on one hand. I'll stick to Alain at Udon Delice and Jon at Chern Chim.
You should visit the foodshops at Siam Paragon and Central World in Bangkok. There you can get imported strawberries at more than 100 baht EACH some times, and also other very expensive vegetables, fruit and berries.

I won`t do much shopping at Villa, but visit 1-2 times a month for stuff I don`t find other places. I`ll try to visit Chern Chim next week. I don`t know where Udon Delice is yet.

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » April 3, 2013, 11:21 pm

Liquid smoke :D Will have to pop back in there at some stage, sounds wicked stuff,thanks for the recommendation,will try it on my TW family for their next barbecue :D
Trubrit,best get there early :D
I will go back after Songkran and after an eye test so that I do not slip up again on price and weight =D>
Want to relook at the freezer sections more closely and also the booze aisles 8)

ps Please they are using the same Security as in Bangers since I know the company quite well :-" Twas a staff member following me around in Bangers before,no one bothered me on my Udon experience =D>

jingjai
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by jingjai » April 4, 2013, 8:47 am

For those of you, who are less than thrilled with Udon Villa Market, might I suggest:

http://www.villamarket.com/gb/contact
Please contact us with any questions or concerns you might have.
Our staff is ready to assist you with ordering and answer any questions.

Customer service 089-991-1199 or [email protected]
Remember, you can also tell customer service what you like about Villa Market, as well.

I do agree about the parking situation, and the late opening hours here in Udon...it's seems like it is never easy...whether it be with Tops or Villa.
Why Tops or Villa did not house their stores in free standing structures with a their own car park, is one of the mysteries of life?
Tops Pattaya is a free standing structure with a their own car park.
Villa Market locations in both Pattaya and Phuket are free standing structures with a their own car park. Don't know about Hua Hin?
I can also tell you this: All the stores I mentioned, both Tops and Villa: open EARLY!!!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by RLTrader » April 4, 2013, 10:21 am

BigBubba wrote:
Yeah, I know. It was the Arm & Hammer Brand that caught my eye. Only 35b and large size for keeping open in the fridge.
You can get the small size Arm & Hammer at Ngee Soon out by the airport. Think it was 15 baht. Ideal for fridge.

Dr. James
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by Dr. James » April 4, 2013, 12:06 pm

I can only report second hand through the purchases my wife made (I am back in Iraq at the university) and can only report very positive results. She was able to purchase Mountain Dew (diet d*** it), grits, corn meal, poppy and poppycock. Great things that I do not usually find in Udon. It is nice to find a place that caters to this market. Prices I really cannot comment on. I have purchased items in Villa Market in Bangkok at the Ambassador location and loved what I found that and happy to see it has found its way to Udon. It does not provide everything that I will need but it sure makes up for those items I have been homesick for.

KB_Texas

Villa Market

Post by KB_Texas » April 4, 2013, 1:03 pm

Ok, made the trek today, and it took me two hours to look around. :)

Here are some of the things I noticed:
Pomps had the prices right and the weight wrong...those prices are per 100 grams as listed below.

USDA Prime strip loin: 3600 baht/kg
Wagyu Ribeye: 4400 baht/kg
Aussie ribeye, grain fed: 2300 baht/kg
grass fed: 1700 baht/kg
Aussie Strip loin, grain fed: 1950 baht/kg
grass fed: 1400 baht/kg

Other things:
Parmesano Reggiano: 2500 baht/kg
Brie: 1155 to 1600 baht/kg
Jagota Extra Mature cheddar: 1500 baht/kg
German Emmental: 790 baht/kg
Grated Parmesian: noname (did not write down) 190b 125gr
Sargento 205b/226gr
Kraft 418 baht same size package
Fresh Mozzarella: 135 baht/125gr
Sargento Light Ricotta: 239 baht/425gr
Another full ricotta, but no price
Creme fraiche: 225 baht/200gr
NO BUTTERMILK!

Smoked Norwegian Salmon: 1150 baht/kg
Also Scottish, but no price shown on rack or pack
Pepperoni: 1140 baht/kg

Mangers Original Cider 159b/330ml
Coopers Extra Stout 99b/375ml
100% Agave Tequila 735b/750ml
others that are cheaper not 100%
Wide variety of liqueurs from Ameretto to Grand Marinier

Ball quart jars, self sealing 64b ea (Southern Iced Tea glasses ;))
Pyrex Deep Dish 9.5" pie plate 440b
Bakers Secret medium cookie sheet 380b

Kingsford charcoal briquettes regular 194b 4.2lb
also had self starting but did not get price
Pledge Lemon or Orange 266b (30+b cheaper than Lotus)
Old English furniture oil 212b 473ml
spray 173b 12.5oz
Axe spray deodorant 145b 150ml
No real condensed milk...only the Thai with palm oil in it
Doritos Corn Chips Special 125b
Pop Secret popcorn 109b 3 pk
SW Applesauce 115b 709gr/25oz
Refried beans 79b 16oz
Kraft mayo 89b 15oz (10b cheaper than Lotus)
Hellmans (aka Best Foods) 225b 15oz
Grandmas molasses 175b 12oz
Dry pinto beans 61b 16oz
Small white (navy) beans 73b 16oz
Sun Maid raisins 75b 250gr
Corn tortillas 52b 200gr (looks like about 6)

And for you Brits: Yorkies Black pudding 93b 250gr

I hope that gives some of you an idea...and there are many other falang goodies, but I was tired of typing on my phone. ;)

KB

pompui
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by pompui » April 4, 2013, 1:10 pm

Thanks KB for the info =D> ,will wait the time when VM bother to have a fully useful website giving prices of goods held in their outlet,not asking for much since they make wads of money profitwise :lol:
Saves us customers having to post prices :shock:
Tis sad their VIP parking area lasted days not months,had a look again this morning while on the way to shop at Tops :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by jingjai » April 4, 2013, 2:24 pm

pompui wrote:Tis sad their VIP parking area lasted days not months,had a look again this morning while on the way to shop at Tops :D
From what I could gather this morning about the VIP parking area, Land Mark Plaza is setting up some kind of "special" event for the upcoming holiday. My wife agrees, she said the security guy told her, only "tempolarry" :D . VIP parking will return after the holidays.
BigBubba wrote:Wow, where to begin. First impression was the A/C was cranked... didn't walk around the place sweating like a pig. In fact, by the time I left I was a little chilly. I'll bet the Thais are FREEZING in there! Probably plenty of high beams on ;) . Second impression was they have a lot to offer in a relatively small space. The aisles are a bit narrow. Third, and just a general observation, is that some prices are higher, but some are lower, even than Makro. So, as with shopping anywhere, it pays to do your homework.

I haven't been home in 2 years, so it was funny to run into things that I had forgotten about, or just totally given up on. I didn't make notes or take photos, and I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so I try to report on what I can. Earlier prices for steaks I'm sure were per 100 GRAM. The selection is extensive. From Australian and New Zealand through USDA (American) PRIME Cut and ranged from 140 - 445 per 100 gram. Ground beef was 220b per kilo, comparable to other places. PLUS, they had a Ground ROUND for 260b per kilo. I presume this is leaner beef.

The cheese selection, when added together with their deli, is absolutely massive. Only one I bought today, Jalapeno Jack from California, 105b for 8 oz pack (226g).

Sour cream. They carry Foremost brand at 44b per cup (comparable to Tesco, more than Makro) but they also had a local brand for 32b per cup. Plenty of other choices in whole milks, cooking creams, and the like. FORGOT to look for buttermilk :(

Overall, a great experience and I'll definately be back. Will I do all my shopping there? Of course not, but I didn't do that in America either. Although Walmart got about 90% of my business!
Agree with all of that :D . I also found some items were less than Udon's "usual suspects".
Plus, I enjoy my shopping experience more with the style of music Villa was playing: low volume background music, IE: light classics =D> .
I will return, but after Songkhran, towards the end of the month. Traffic all over town was intolerable today. According to my wife, Miss Know-It-All ;) , many people are already returning home to Udon for the holidays.

KB_Texas

Villa Market

Post by KB_Texas » April 4, 2013, 3:40 pm

Well, they are still having teething pains. I had to wait almost 10 minutes to check out due to ONE register being open, and a lady buying things that would not scan in their system, then her credit card would not work. Many people standing around but none bothered to open another checkout lane. :(

Heh, and they had some lady hollering on a microphone about Haagen Daas (sp?) ice cream I think...so no subtle music while I waited to checkout either. ;)

KB

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Villa Market

Post by pienmash » April 4, 2013, 5:17 pm

[quote="KB_Texas"]Ok, made the trek today, and it took me two hours to look around. :)

Here are some of the things I noticed:
Pomps had the prices right and the weight wrong...those prices are per 100 grams as listed below.

USDA Prime strip loin: 3600 baht/kg
Wagyu Ribeye: 4400 baht/kg
Aussie ribeye, grain fed: 2300 baht/kg
grass fed: 1700 baht/kg
Aussie Strip loin, grain fed: 1950 baht/kg
grass fed: 1400 baht/kg

Bloomin heck KB sounds very odd pricing on the meat !! ..... if accurate suppose that makes CC Wagyu at 800 bt PER KG and Auusie siloin / striploin 700 bt PER KG ... riduculously good value ....

Looking forward to my price check visit next day or so ....

Will say looks a very impressive place tho judging by the pics posted .,, puts my humble corner shop to shame boo hoo .

mas

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by merchant seaman » April 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

I myself perfer the humble corner shop. The owner of Villa market, well maybe the manager, told Dean of Papa farang fame that he will beat any prices here in Udon. Well he can start with the beef then move on to the pies and pasties. Can't wait for the price war to begin. Mean while I will do my shopping in CC's for imported items and pies.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Villa Market

Post by jingjai » April 4, 2013, 6:17 pm

KB_Texas wrote:Well, they are still having teething pains. I had to wait almost 10 minutes to check out due to ONE register being open, and a lady buying things that would not scan in their system, then her credit card would not work. Many people standing around but none bothered to open another checkout lane. :(

Heh, and they had some lady hollering on a microphone about Haagen Daas (sp?) ice cream I think...so no subtle music while I waited to checkout either. ;)
I must have got to checkout right after you left, because they opened up another lane as soon as I walked up.
Yes, it will take them awhile to get up to speed. But, that is normal.
Overall, I was satisfied with the floor service. I asked someone where an item was, and they took me right to it...after I showed them the picture in their advert.
As for the Haagen Dass girl...let's look at the glass half-full, she was a babeski ;) . But, she wasn't doing any squawking when I passed by her...just giving out free samples of Haagen Daas with a smile.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”