Beer Price Rise - Over 10%!!

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 6, 2013, 6:16 am

Went to our local liquor store, one of the cheapest and most popular in Ban Dung, to be met by the owner saying Leo had gone up from 495 Baht to 550 Baht overnight due to tax increases. That's an excise tax hike of over 50%. The increase was confirmed by a local bar owner, our first thoughts was that this will sort the cheap charlies from the wanna bees. [-(

You guys in Udon seen this?

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 6, 2013, 6:21 am

Will have to wait for one of the forum members to log in to advise of the Archa price rises at Fuzzy Kens. 8)
The government had advised of price rises re beer/whisky/electricity/tolls a few days ago 8)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 6, 2013, 6:24 am

Bad luck for the new "proper pub" and it ain't even open yet . :shock:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 6, 2013, 6:37 am

Sister-in-law at local Mom & Pop store advised her supplier was now charging TBH530, so some suppliers may be trying it on.

The benchmark will be to see what Tesco, Big C etc are charging, as they are very competitive.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 6, 2013, 7:08 am

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 6, 2013, 7:24 am

well if they cant usufruct you out, they will up the beer price until you lot cant afford it..hahaha..

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » September 6, 2013, 7:42 am

At the local mom and pop store where I live individual bottles of Leo went from 47 to 50 Baht. That's about a 6% increase I think. 50 Baht a bottle is not too expensive for me.

udonman
udonmap.com

Post by udonman » September 6, 2013, 7:54 am

Some of the bar owners can't wait to put prices up. Some are over priced at the moment! Best drink in Thai bars or outside Mom and Pop shops.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 6, 2013, 8:11 am

This was in the national press (BP) approx a week ago ,, government passed the new alcohol tax rates then ..that took effect from yesterday , the cut off point was 4pm yesterday for any imported booze products still in bond after that time would be charged at the new rate , the tax went up on local brews as and when it suited the supplier or last point of sale .

Looks like a 3 - 5 bt increase per bottle or can for imported and local booze ,,, tax on draught beers n ciders went up approx 200 bt per 30 liter/54 pint barrel which works out 3-4 baht per pint ...

I was informed the new rates/tax ceiling were set for the next 2 years BUT TIT and ive heard ducks far under water before !!!..depending how the economy goes any thing could happen..... maybe the government could boost the treasury by a NEW TAX ,,,, legalize prostitution and tax those within the said industry << just a thought

TAX is a part of life and ....IMO ,,, prices are fair and still ok here in LOS , no one likes any increases on any products ,,, cant see it making any difference after the whinging calms down ... if you havent got an extra few baht for 3 bottles of Archa they maybe you should consider another route in life ,,, and im sure if a punter has got 160 bt for a pint or bottle of imported beer then they will also have the extra 3 bt increase without fainting or blockading the airports n highways ...

I doubt this will drive any folks to teetotalism .

Mash

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2013, 8:56 am

not just beer, gas, electric and just about everything else.i would expect 10 baht on a beer very soon. thats how it works here.good news is the pound is back over 50 ,so at least its off set. one step forward..one step back..
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 6, 2013, 9:04 am

papafarang wrote:not just beer, gas, electric and just about everything else.i would expect 10 baht on a beer very soon. thats how it works here.good news is the pound is back over 50 ,so at least its off set. one step forward..one step back..
Electric has seen several increases in recent months , gas also but at a lesser rate as subcidies are involved ,,, so what else can the treasury do to boost its coffers ,i can see a big tobacco hike coming soon ,,, worldwide booze and ciggies are always easy options to tax as they are addictive and usually higher prices make little difference to the general public as they lways seem to find the extra few coins to carry on drinking n smoking ....in turn ..,,,, natural resources again we cant live without leccy n gas so another sucker punch and an easy taxable option for governments the world over .

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2013, 9:35 am

pienmash wrote:
papafarang wrote:not just beer, gas, electric and just about everything else.i would expect 10 baht on a beer very soon. thats how it works here.good news is the pound is back over 50 ,so at least its off set. one step forward..one step back..
Electric has seen several increases in recent months , gas also but at a lesser rate as subcidies are involved ,,, so what else can the treasury do to boost its coffers ,i can see a big tobacco hike coming soon ,,, worldwide booze and ciggies are always easy options to tax as they are addictive and usually higher prices make little difference to the general public as they lways seem to find the extra few coins to carry on drinking n smoking ....in turn ..,,,, natural resources again we cant live without leccy n gas so another sucker punch and an easy taxable option for governments the world over .
i'm going to eat more curry and produce my own natural gas...go on try and tax my ass
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 6, 2013, 9:39 am

Sounds like a typical UK budget plan, hike the tax on booze, smokes, petrol and things that people enjoy FIRST. There's nothing new under the sun really, even under the very special sun we enjoy in LOS.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 6, 2013, 11:38 am

No price increase here, yet. We're gonna try to absorb them for awhile and see how it goes. We don't attract "session drinkers" anyway, and that's never been my cup of tea. However, as mentioned, it's all the other price increases combined that are adding extra pressure to small business owners. Also, this is not an exclusive situation for Thailand. As governments across the world struggle with tough economic times they are coming up with ever ingenious ways to increase revenues.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 6, 2013, 11:51 am

I was in the main Tesco's on the ringroad (opposite SB Furniture) earlier this morning.
The price hike doesnt seem to have taken effect yet.....certainly on the individual bottled beers.
Red Horse 39 baht,Archa 41 baht,Chang 44 baht,Leo 46 baht,Tiger 54 baht.....probably till the older stock runs out ?
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 6, 2013, 4:04 pm

The local moms and paps store in TW village,box chang 530 baht,Leos 545 baht,will check Tesco tomorrow for their prices.Funny how local village stores advised yesterday that they had no stock at all,waiting for the increase to be passed on today,plenty of stock found :roll:
Personally feel sorry for the Archa drinkers who are on a strict/fixed pension,maybe bar owners can absorb any price increase on Archas =D>

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » September 6, 2013, 6:47 pm

Top Tip to beat the increase in alcohol tax,start drinking siam sato 20 baht a bottle decant into big jug add ice and pieces of fruit lie down on chair,place knotted hanky on top of head , then imagine your back in Benidorm drinking Sangria. ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 6, 2013, 7:11 pm

Buy a box or 2 of 285 blend whiskey each fornight and has gone from 2460 to 2616.

The bloke didn't have any idea how much the tax had gone up but took a guess :^o . Trouble is i had no idea it was the day before the actual inrease date.

it is not a tax on anyone exept the end user. Will absorb price hike for a short while until it all becomes clear and the locals from the paddies understand that getting pissed will now be more expensive.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 6, 2013, 7:40 pm

Barney wrote:Buy a box or 2 of 285 blend whiskey each fornight and has gone from 2460 to 2616.

The bloke didn't have any idea how much the tax had gone up but took a guess :^o . Trouble is i had no idea it was the day before the actual inrease date.

it is not a tax on anyone exept the end user. Will absorb price hike for a short while until it all becomes clear and the locals from the paddies understand that getting pissed will now be more expensive.
You been on the ethanol again Barney ? still drowning yer sorrows over the cricket no doubt ,,, Rudd or Abbot now theres a choice enuff to send any teetotaler on the piss ......

I think i know what you are saying and if ive got it right ,,,, i agree this tax rise will effect those at the bottom of the laokhao booze chain rather than the folks enjoying a bottle of JW Blue , persoanly i would rather drink my bath water than 40% or archa ,, dont see the point of drinking stuff if you dont actually enjoy it !! or have i missed some thing all these years .

mash

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 6, 2013, 8:03 pm

pienmash wrote:
Barney wrote:Buy a box or 2 of 285 blend whiskey each fornight and has gone from 2460 to 2616.

You been on the ethanol again Barney ? still drowning yer sorrows over the cricket no doubt ,,, Rudd or Abbot now theres a choice enuff to send any teetotaler on the piss ......

I think i know what you are saying and if ive got it right ,,,, i agree this tax rise will effect those at the bottom of the laokhao booze chain rather than the folks enjoying a bottle of JW Blue , persoanly i would rather drink my bath water than 40% or archa ,, dont see the point of drinking stuff if you dont actually enjoy it !! or have i missed some thing all these years .

mash
Mr Mash,
Actually was anticipating thashing the hides of the poms tonight in the first 50 0ver 1 dayer, but the rain gods stopped that. :D
Do not vote in Australia any more :-# , hung up my ticket with the AEC somtime ago. Krudd or the abbot I do not care.
You may have missed something small in that i do not drink the thai stuff, just sell it to locals by the bottle with soda and ice while they pretend to sing into a microphone and fill the music machine with 10 bht coins. But the eventual cost increase for beer and whiskey will not stop a local thai from getting the 40% or a Leo into his tummy, putting on his beer goggles all the while pretending a local pooying is his songbird girlfriend for a few hours. Money costs will not deter them and the only thing other than a good fight that stops them drinking in the shop is a buddha no drink decreed day.

Will know the full increases next week when I top up all the other alcoholic beverages they pour down their throat.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”