Looking for Electric Space Heater

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

I have been looking for the past two days for a small electric space heater. I have been to Global House, Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Do Home, and Home Hub and no one seems to have one of any kind. Home Pro has a fan and heater combo for a whopping 5700 baht, but there's no way I'd pay that much. We can certainly brave this cold spell without one; however, it would still be nice to have one to use for the few weeks of cold weather that we will have in the years to come. Most of the sales clerks don't have any idea what a heater is and most all directed us to the electric water heaters for showers. We questioned three separate groups of sales clerks in Home Pro and got the notorious "no hab" reaction before we walked upon the fan/heater combo by accident. Small ceramic heaters are available back in the States for under 600 baht, but I have heard they can be purchased in Bangkok for over 2000 baht. Any ideas?

When entering Home Pro one sales clerk approached us from a display of pressure washers set up outside the front door to ask if we wanted to see a demonstration. Seems to me if they had set up a display of heaters they could have sold an entire tractor trailer load if the price was right.
Attachments
Ceramic Space Heater.jpg
Ceramic Space Heater.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » December 21, 2013, 5:31 pm

semperfiguy wrote:I have been looking for the past two days for a small electric space heater. I have been to Global House, Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Do Home, and Home Hub and no one seems to have one of any kind. Home Pro has a fan and heater combo for a whopping 5700 baht, but there's no way I'd pay that much. We can certainly brave this cold spell without one; however, it would still be nice to have one to use for the few weeks of cold weather that we will have in the years to come. Most of the sales clerks don't have any idea what a heater is and most all directed us to the electric water heaters for showers. We questioned three separate groups of sales clerks in Home Pro and got the notorious "no hab" reaction before we walked upon the fan/heater combo by accident. Small ceramic heaters are available back in the States for under 600 baht, but I have heard they can be purchased in Bangkok for over 2000 baht. Any ideas?

When entering Home Pro one sales clerk approached us from a display of pressure washers set up outside the front door to ask if we wanted to see a demonstration. Seems to me if they had set up a display of heaters they could have sold an entire tractor trailer load if the price was right.
agreed SFG, it's been so freakin' freezin' at night I've been worried our infant will catch cold. -I was having visions of a space heater similar to the one pictured. -but at this point even the fan/heater would be OK.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 21, 2013, 5:52 pm

redwolf wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:I have been looking for the past two days for a small electric space heater. I have been to Global House, Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Do Home, and Home Hub and no one seems to have one of any kind. Home Pro has a fan and heater combo for a whopping 5700 baht, but there's no way I'd pay that much. We can certainly brave this cold spell without one; however, it would still be nice to have one to use for the few weeks of cold weather that we will have in the years to come. Most of the sales clerks don't have any idea what a heater is and most all directed us to the electric water heaters for showers. We questioned three separate groups of sales clerks in Home Pro and got the notorious "no hab" reaction before we walked upon the fan/heater combo by accident. Small ceramic heaters are available back in the States for under 600 baht, but I have heard they can be purchased in Bangkok for over 2000 baht. Any ideas?

agreed SFG, it's been so freakin' freezin' at night I've been worried our infant will catch cold. -I was having visions of a space heater similar to the one pictured. -but at this point even the fan/heater would be OK.

RW
Hi Redwolf! Actually, that fan/heater combo at Home Pro is quite nice...but no where near worth the exorbitant price they are asking. However, if it keeps you child from becoming sick then it may be well worth it to you. I simply don't understand the mentality here...when it rains you sell umbrellas and when it's cold you sell heaters. It's not rocket science. One lowly clerk's response to me was "Thai people don't buy heaters, so we don't sell them". Guess that's why he's a clerk and not in charge of purchasing/inventory control. Then again, even those guys seem to be brain dead from the cold!!!!!!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 21, 2013, 6:24 pm

Stateside they also have split pack A/C units that have a small heater element in them.. Crank up the temp on the remote and you've got warm air.. I wonder if you can get an add-on for a Split Pack.. Surely the split packs in China must have heating elements...
Dave

weedwacker
udonmap.com

Post by weedwacker » December 21, 2013, 6:46 pm

When I lived in Hanoi several years ago the apartment I was renting had an a/c unit with the heat option. I am really surprised it hasn't dawned on some of the a/c retailers, that there is a need for these units in northern Thailand.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » December 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

A few years ago George who use to run The Fiddler's Green was selling electric space heaters. Don't know where he got them though.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 21, 2013, 6:57 pm

I see in the string that all the big Home Stores were visited looking for space heaters. Anyone gone to one of the big A/C vendors to see if a heater element for an A/C split pack can be ordered??
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 21, 2013, 7:57 pm

When I shopped for an AC a month ago at Nimit, they offered a cooling/heater version. More expensive, of course, but can't remember details.

There were loads of radiator type heaters in Global a few months ago. Never seen a ceramic/fan model.....our daughter has one in Texas......she doesn't use the furnace...just the small space heater. Why aren't they available here??

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » December 21, 2013, 9:42 pm

The inverter a/c units also have heating elements we have a Mitsibishi 24,000 btu unit in the bedroom works well its oversized and (inverter) so energy saving.

Re the price of the heaters here they are not a common item used so expensive, in europe and the states many brands around and there is demand so cheap prices.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 22, 2013, 8:18 am

Hi,
Seen A,C units advertised in LOS with heaters in,. The price of the ones i saw was 28,000B no way would I pay that, Plus installation, I have been looking for days now for a single bar IR heater, 750W. with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get one, in LOS, please let me know.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 22, 2013, 9:04 am

Let's face it, it doesn't get all that cold here. One of these units in a small sized bedroom ought to keep it quite warm I suspect...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301042694519

or you could get a low profile one and stick it under your bed. I bet you'd stay toasty all night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portable-W ... 51b599a1b1

Personally I find the cool air very refreshing after months of stifling heat.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 22, 2013, 11:24 am

Reverse cycle air conditioner is the most efficient form of heating.
It warms the air as apposed to infra-red heaters that do not.
I, for one, would not advise sticking any heater under your bed, especially those shown above.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 22, 2013, 4:01 pm

The second link is a heater element with fan unit. For $15 (including shipping) it is a quick and easy way to get a little heat.

I used to stick one under my bed. :shock:

Disclaimer for all people in the sue happy western world ... "I am not advising anybody to stick an electric heater under a bed" :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 22, 2013, 4:56 pm

For the very few days when a "heater" is required in the childs room, just go and put the wifes hairdryer on for 10 mins before they go to bed ...... it takes the chill off the room till the kids are snuggled up warm under the quilt

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 22, 2013, 9:15 pm

stattointhailand wrote:For the very few days when a "heater" is required in the childs room, just go and put the wifes hairdryer on for 10 mins before they go to bed ...... it takes the chill off the room till the kids are snuggled up warm under the quilt

good basic idea but make sure it is not directly blowing od child. We had a bad incident here in the states earlier this year where a child died because of a hairdryer blowing on her for an extended amount of time

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » December 23, 2013, 3:35 am

If it is of any help, on really cold mornings, I turn on two about 1 KW clothes irons and two hair dryers on full in the office and let them run for a while. They slowly bring up the air temperature.

The idea is to get a certain amount of energy from the AC plug into the air. Paying 3,000 THB for what a couple of clothes irons can do, and only using it three weeks a year does not sound practical. Think about it. (the cost of electricity is the same. A watt-hour is a watt-hour no matter the shape of the appliance that dissipates it)

PRichard
udonmap.com

Post by PRichard » December 23, 2013, 10:09 pm

What about a small portable cooking gas tank? Let it lit up for a while in a room and it will take the chill out. It must be turn off before going to bed. It is a clean burn and cooking gas is cheap. The tank shown in the picture costs about 1,200 baht and to fill up the tank costs about 120 baht. It can also makes noodle soup and scrambled eggs. Cheers.
CIMG0430.jpg
Cooking Gas Unit

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 23, 2013, 10:49 pm

Will it fit under my bed? :lol:

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » December 23, 2013, 11:09 pm

Are there any special risks using one of these indoors?

Hold on tight...probably only another two or three weeks to go.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 24, 2013, 7:15 am

Do not use in a closed room. It uses up the oxygen in the room.
CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”