New Global Grand Opening

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by parrot » January 31, 2014, 12:54 pm

Global 2, on the KK Hwy, is set to open for sales on 5 Feb, and officially with ceremonies on 8 Feb.
Attachments
1622005_555922774502829_994127403_n.jpg

Prenders88
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by Prenders88 » January 31, 2014, 1:04 pm

What is the point, the first one hardly has any customers.
There is a glut of DIY shops in and around Udon.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

socksy
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by socksy » January 31, 2014, 1:29 pm

Another one with more staff than customers?
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

kopkei
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by kopkei » January 31, 2014, 2:54 pm

What is the point, the first one hardly has any customers. :confused:
we have been building a home , and even last week i have been to global and as usual almost no parking spot to find ...
the only pain in the ass is the traffic on the ring road from bigc ( bridge ) to global, now to me best and most cheap now is do home but for us again this stupid road ..., thai watsadu is more convenient than... ;)

rick
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by rick » January 31, 2014, 11:12 pm

Yes, Global car park is absolutely full at weekends and pretty full the rest of the time - it is just around the corner so first port of call for me. The new places on the Nong Khai road may be twice as big but have half the customers.

redwolf
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by redwolf » February 1, 2014, 2:07 am

So far it's been Global and Tool Pro Plus that have been worth the while, so good on em' open up another one, maybe they can launch a counter-attack on all the 7-11's one day.

Global's actually got some good wood furniture now and then, at really good prices, and has a decent heavy building materials (roofing, sheet metal, rebar, etc.) selection & loading dock / ticketing system out back.

Fewer bums posing as workers per aisle than the competition. Heck, some even know stuff about stuff. Most of the lighting fixtures are low quality though, tons of fake "Stanley" & other brands but oh well par for the region.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

papaguido
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by papaguido » February 1, 2014, 4:52 am

Perhaps the point is that the store will serve those who live/work south of ring road down to Nong Soon. What I don't get is Home Hub and Do Home, they're a couple hundred meters apart.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by FrazeeDK » February 1, 2014, 4:36 pm

drove by the new Global House this afternoon.. It just doesn't appear to be finished yet.. I don't see how they can get it all done in five days or so..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by parrot » February 1, 2014, 4:56 pm

Although I don't have a Chinese calendar handy, no doubt, 8 Feb is some prestigious numbered day.....and if they say they'll open then, then woo be the gods of fortune if they don't. Most all the stores look that way a few days before opening....Platinum 168 is a good example. Pass by and you'd be hard pressed to guess they're open....but officially, they are.....and it doesn't look anything like the artist impression a year or more ago.
For me, my go to stores are Global #1, Homepro #2, Toolpro #3. If I want toilet paper, I go to Ngeesoon.......not Homehub, DoHome, or Thaiwatsadu. If the second Global is as well-stocked as the first, I may go to that one instead....about the same distance from my home and I can avoid the Sam Prao goat rope intersection.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by KHONDAHM » February 2, 2014, 5:05 am

I'll be glad when they open something on 210 West. I've been holding off building a pool and pool house until they do. ;)

We could easily get there via the network of back roads and avoid any Ring Road traffic. I used to hop on my samlor and visit the tool places on a whim just to pass the day. Nowadays, with traffic so bad, I don't even want to go when I need to go. Times is a'changing!
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

parrot
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by parrot » February 4, 2014, 8:44 pm

I did a google earth distance check......kilo 5 (Udon-NBLP) - old Global vs. to new Global. Good news is the new Global is just about the same distance as the old, with only the ringroad/KK Hwy intersection traffic light in between, vs at least 5 traffic lights to the old Global.
The bad news......leaving the new Global back to the city, you'll have to go south on the highway 2 full km to a turnaround....for a total of 4 added km. There's a turnaround about 200m BEFORE you reach the new Global....and that means there will be a fair number of people who will drive against the traffic rather than do the extra 4km route.

parrot
udonmap.com

New Global Grand Opening

Post by parrot » February 11, 2014, 3:26 pm

Went to the new Global today.....3 days after the 'official' opening. Shelves all seemed stocked, so I consider the store to be pretty representative of what will be in stock.

As I did at Homehub, DoHome, and now the new Global, I walked in with a wad of credit-card cash, honestly prepared to spend up to 25k for a high quality lawnmower, another 4k for a gas operated hedge trimmer, and 3-5k for a small chainsaw. I walked out of DoHome empty handed, Homehub with a 100 or so baht of things, and today after walking the entire store, 107 baht.
With the exception of a small electronics section (TVs, washers) and maybe the vinyl guttering, I didn't see anything in the new store that's not in the old. I did need to pick up some small garden spray heads for our irrigation....available in the old store, but not in the new.
So, my vote is......if I need something, I'll probably end up going to the old Global, knowing that if I strike out there, I can pop up to HomePro a km away or Toolpro, a km the other way.
As with the old Global, the new one isn't air conditioned, so a plus for Homepro. And as with the old Global, the new one didn't have tp in the bathroom, so another plus for Homepro.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”