where to buy a self propelled lawnmower?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » July 20, 2014, 9:44 am

NongKhaiLee wrote:Yes it is really expensive for a push type mower, I had to look at it a long time because it was so expensive that I just couldn't believe it wasn't self-propelled. They told me it was from the U.K.
They are an Aussie brand .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 20, 2014, 12:52 pm

I seem to recall the Rover is an 18" or 19" model. Okay for a small sub-division yard......but I wouldn't want to be using it on something large.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 21, 2014, 1:39 pm

I was at Toolpro today....they have a 21" auto drive (rear wheel) Sakari lawnmower with a Honda GXV160 engine on display. Just shy of 18,000 baht. The self-propelled model has two bars on the upper handle.....one to engage the blade, one to engage the rear wheels.

Again, my take on the Sakari lawnmower. The Honda engine on it is very good quality. Starts first time. Parts available in Udon. Quiet. Sips gas. Excellent power.
The Sakari body is probably galvanized.....as mine has not a smidgen of rust after 3.5 years of heavy use.
The auto drive may work fine for a year or so......and you might be able to keep the auto drive working for 2. But once it goes, you're out of luck. No parts and no one has just the transmission.
Overall a good lawnmower......just a shame they couldn't put on a better transmission.
Attachments
20140721_113913.jpg
20140721_113816.jpg

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » July 21, 2014, 4:23 pm

Who would ever buy a lawn mower with an engine that cannot propel itself? seems really strange to me a bit like a chocolate fireguard, totally useless!

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 22, 2014, 11:48 am

Thanks Parrot

I was at ToolPro last week (Monday to be exact) and they did not have that lawnmower. I asked them how long it would take if I did order the Sakura and they told me two weeks. I am leaving for America next week and besides am undecided about the Sakura so didn't order one.
I guess my point is that ToolPro sure doesn't seem to be on the ball, evidently they had one already coming, or there but not on display...but when a customer (Me) asks they say it would take two weeks to get one!

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 22, 2014, 12:01 pm

Thanks for the pictures Parrot,

I have been researching the Honda gxv160 and the Sakura. It appears that the transmission is belt driven, is that correct? If so then the engine must have a pulley on the crankshaft just above the blade?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 22, 2014, 12:45 pm

Just for clarity......it's Sakari. Yes, it's belt driven with a pulley just above the blade. I didn't have a problem with the pulley or the belt, but did with the transmission........I was able to use it for over 2 years.....with occasional maintenance. But when it finally crapped out, I tried to buy a replacement......could not find one locally or in Bangkok. I finally removed the transmission and use the lawnmower as a push mower. The engine is a fine engine....lots of power for 3 rai of land. The difference in price for a real McCoy Honda mower body with the same engine as the Sakari is between 8,000-12,000 more.

As for Toolpro or any of the other shops around town, I've never been able to figure out their way of doing business. Sometimes, just when you think you do, you find out you don't. Sometimes you have to know the manager to break through the levels of incompetence or lack of concern by staff.....and if the manager isn't in, well, you're out of luck. To me, it's one of the greater trials of living here.......bearable, but often makes you wonder how they stay in business.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » July 22, 2014, 12:52 pm

Have you tried the mower shop next to the old ford dealer in the centre of town, went there at the weekend for a new blade and alloy spacer for my mower and he was extremely helpful and had everything I needed, spoke reasonable english as well, excellent service.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » July 22, 2014, 12:54 pm

Also went to toolpro first, but as usual they had nothing and not willing to order, totally useless, how do they survive?

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 22, 2014, 3:51 pm

I just came back from ToolPro for the third time. I figured I would buy the mower Parrot saw there. They did have the self propelled lawnmower Parrot took pics of, so I asked, "why didn't you tell me you had it when I was here a few days ago?" and they replied "because we can't sell it to you!"
Evidently whoever shipped it to them from Bangkok sent it with the wrong grass catcher basket,so they can't sell it until the correct one comes.

I went back to Global House also, had to buy new wheels for my old mower for the fourth time. I asked them once again about self-propelled mowers, and this time they said they could order me one! They asked if I wanted a Makita or a Honda, and I asked them to give me prices on both. They said the price of the Makita was "somewhere over 20,000" and the Honda "around 25,000" but they would check availability and call me with the exact amount.

Does anyone have any experience with the Makita Self-Propelled Mower? This is the first I have heard of that option.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 26, 2014, 7:47 am

Regarding your transmission Parrot...

I did some searching online, and found transmissions for other models of lawnmowers available through e-bay and amazon and Sears, some new and some used. The prices were anywhere from 46$ to 140$ u.s., I am pretty sure that they would fit in a suitcase. Of course I have no idea if that is an option for you or not, or whether TSA would let it go through or not, they confiscated my neighbors lawnmower engine when he tried to bring it in his checked luggage.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 27, 2014, 5:27 am

In my case parts were redily available by special order from Home Pro. However, I simply contactsd the distributor in BKK which was listed on the warranty card for the spare parts at a much better price. Once contacted by phone the rep sent me an email with pics of the parts I wanted just to make sure. I then transferred the funds via ATM to their account. The parts were promptly delivered by EMS. I'm pretty sure the same would apply to any brand self-propelled lawn mower sold here in LOS.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

pimples
udonmap.com

Post by pimples » August 3, 2014, 11:11 pm

plans for a solar powered lawnmower here ,why all that toil in the sun when the home made solar powered mower will take care .surely thais could make these for export ?its a global market waiting to be tapped .

http://hackaday.com/2014/08/01/solar-po ... t-have-to/

It takes a lot of power and energy to keep grass levels down to an appropriate level; especially when it’s hot out. If cool glasses of lemonade aren’t around, the task at hand may not be completed any time soon causing the unkempt blades of green (or yellow) vegetation outside to continue their path of growth towards the sun.

Instead of braving the oven-like temperatures which will inevitably drench the person in sweat, this solar powered robot has been created ready to take on the job. With the heart of an Arduino, this device shaves down the grass on a regular basis, rather than only chopping down the material when it gets too long. This helps to save electricity since the mower is only dealing with young and soft plants whose heads are easily lopped off without much effort.

Internally, the robot’s circuitry interfaces with an underground wiring system that defines the cutting zones within the lawn, and proves to be a simple, accurate, and reliable approach to directing the robot where to go. If the device travels under a shaded area, a battery kicks in supplying energy to the engine. When sunlight is available, that same battery accumulates the electricity, storing it for later.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » August 25, 2014, 1:48 pm

I finally just bought the Sakari self propelled mower at ToolPro, as my old mower quit running while I am back home and the grass was getting very tall. My wife had some of her relatives pick it up and said that it works very well so far...when I asked her if it propelled itself well she answered "we have to chase it around the lawn!"
I really would rather have bought the Honda or the Husky but none were available.

Thanks so much for all of the input!

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » December 28, 2014, 7:14 am

kubotatim wrote:What do you call selfpropelled, they were all self propelled, but not ride on, the ones they had you squeeze a lever and they go along with the power of the engine, you do not have to push them, loads there. including Husquvana.
The youtube has got me interested,22 inch awd self propelled available in Udon :-k

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » December 28, 2014, 7:30 am

Is there a Lowe's in Udon?
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Col Rose

Post by Col Rose » February 14, 2015, 11:21 am

I bought a self-propelled mower from a dealer on a corner near the Fountain Circle in Udon. A Honda GXV 160. A bloody good engine!!! However, the self-propelling mechanism failed after about 1 year so it is now a "push" mower. I recall it was about 35,000 baht from what I have now learned is a known expensive place for falang to buy. however, I've seen them in the other larger hardware stores on the outskirts. I also bought a standard Honda GXV 160 from Home Hub in Udon. Again, a good mower with a solid pressed steel base and the price was quite reasonable .. approx. 14,000 baht. A word of caution. If the cutting blade is just a solid piece of steel with turned up ends to represent throwing blades, then to replace is quite expensive .. about 1000 baht. On one of my mowers I cut the ends off the solid piece of steel blade (accurately) and bolted Rover Rancher 2 thrower blades (bought on one of my trips to Australia) on and now the grass is correctly caught. Also, the second machine I have has replacement blades ... just like the old Victa at home .... and I replace them with Masport thrower blades which suit the indentation

Hope this helps someone!!!

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Re: where to buy a self propelled lawnmower?

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 26, 2018, 3:06 pm

Update....the sakura self drive mower (push mower which propels itself) has lasted these four years with just normal maintenance, I change the blade and air filter every year and drain the carburetor bowl once in a while. Last month the self drive quit working, I found that the cable to the transmission was frozen but when I went to take the drive wheels off I found that the teeth of the driven gear on the insides of the wheels had been stripped off also.
I purchased new drive wheels (gear included) at ToolPro for 820 baht each and also a new transmission cable for 450 baht. While I had it torn down I also replaced the drive belt. Hopefully it will last a good bit longer.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”