Meat Pies

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by merchant seaman » January 31, 2015, 12:25 pm

Frozen pie in the microwave takes approx. 5 min. on full power. Toaster oven for the pies work great. Not much difference in the models and they are not very expensive. Defrosted pie in the fridge should be good for 3 days.

No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Griffo
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Griffo » January 31, 2015, 12:27 pm

Yes no MSG in the Lady Pie Ranges, and Khun Paul they must be "pretty bad Pies" as we have sold over a 1200 Pies Pasty's and Sausage Rolls in the 8 Weeks we have had them in Stock, thanks for the Comments Coxo, see you when you get back up to Udon

Cheers

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2015, 12:30 pm

chewbacca wrote:Instead of everyone playing the brand bump game, -my question is, if not using a proper gas oven, what method do you gents use?
I put the frozen pie in the microwave on the defrost setting for 12 minutes. I test the underneath, in the centre of the pie to make sure it is fully defrosted - if not, I will give it a minute or so at the next higher setting.

On the higher setting, need to keep an eye on it to make sure it is not swelling ie boiling inside. If so, put a small hole or two in the top of the crust.

When defrosted, and warm to the touch, I switch the microwave to convection oven mode, and give the pie about 1 minute @ 160C.

Perfect every time. \:D/ :D

Martyn
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Martyn » January 31, 2015, 12:34 pm

Also, what kind of 'electric oven' is preferable if any? I'd like to buy a small one just for pies and melting choc chips onto Nilla wafers. No really.
Convection oven, or Halogen oven as they are sometimes called. I bought one in Makro for 660 baht, reduced from 999. It cooks pies perfectly and many other things too.
SAM_7473.JPG

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 31, 2015, 1:05 pm

semperfiguy wrote:My guess is they used MSG in the cooking of the meat to tenderize it and give it flavor, so all you consumers who may be allergic to MSG, as am I, beware of the meat pies.
Best to avoid my place for coffee, TW has the MSG and Sugar stored in unmarked jars adjacent to each other and on more than one occasion I have tried to poison a guest! :-& Don't use sugar myself.

And I heat my pastries in a device similar to above, about 10 minutes at 130 deg C after thawing. Wonderful
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by merchant seaman » January 31, 2015, 1:11 pm

Is there still an outlet in Ban Dung for pies?
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2015, 1:19 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Is there still an outlet in Ban Dung for pies?
Yep - a couple that I know of.

Eddies Bar and Pin's Cafe.

Plus I heard a rumour that the Dero went into the pie business a little while back. :D

The big news here at the moment - OK, not much happens :D - is that a mini-Tops will be opening on 8 February. At this stage unknown if they will stock pies, or whatever else. :-k

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 31, 2015, 1:23 pm

Yes the "pie" wars continue. I still buy from Bunters Bangkok for my own use, still to find anyone who can beat their small goods, pies, sausage rolls etc. AND after seeing Jack's post buy for a few guys as well (no profit) to fill a transport cooler.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Khun Paul » January 31, 2015, 8:34 pm

When one comments on a particular brand, which was not to ones liking, one is making an accurate assessment of that particular pie at that particular time . I have had the same over a number of foodstuffs over the years, some have rectified the problems others not. I do not really care if a person or company has sold inumerable items over a l;arge swathe of the country, on that day that particular pie was not acceptable. i have had bad Big Macs here, bad food from many a restaurant the odd bad packet of sausages purchased in Thailand, if asked I have stated my viewpoint.
So to criticise me for saying what I bought to eat was not acceptable is not really in the spirit of the post which was asking about pies and their how peole found them to eat and where you could buy them. take note Coxo, there's a good chap OK !!

broon97
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by broon97 » January 31, 2015, 8:44 pm

choice-foods-udon wrote:Just like to Confirm our Freshly baked pies do not contain any MSG, Im not sure if thats the case with The lady pies and others.
But, of course, the price is secret!!!

ozzydom
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by ozzydom » January 31, 2015, 9:59 pm

broon97 wrote:
choice-foods-udon wrote:Just like to Confirm our Freshly baked pies do not contain any MSG, Im not sure if thats the case with The lady pies and others.
But, of course, the price is secret!!!
No secret, but its cheaper than a Lady pie :D
ozzy

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » January 31, 2015, 11:22 pm

At least neither were the ones that SFG tried so am no nearer knowing which establishment out of a few has msg pies. :-&

ozzydom
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by ozzydom » February 1, 2015, 8:06 am

semperfiguy wrote:I had a steak and mushroom pie for dinner in a reputable establishment recently and it sent me into a tailspin. I was up half the night with palpitations and high blood pressure readings. My guess is they used MSG in the cooking of the meat to tenderize it and give it flavor, so all you consumers who may be allergic to MSG, as am I, beware of the meat pies. My concern is that if I ask about the MSG beforehand I probably won't get a straight answer, and once consumed it's too late!
It is rumoured that excessive ogling of lovely ,sexy ladies can result in the same symptoms. :-"
ozzy

jingjai
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by jingjai » February 1, 2015, 2:32 pm

old-timer wrote:PIE WARS
There was such a thing as Pie Wars in Pattaya & Jomtien some years ago.
I believe Simple Simon's of Jomtien came out in front. I bumped into Greg of the famous Greg's kitchen, 2nd Road (Pattaya) buying in bulk the pies, scotch eggs etc from Simple Simon in Jomtien.
He then took them back to Greg's Kitchen and put them on his menu with a huge profit. They were home made pies as he advertised, just not his home made pies.
OT......... \:D/
I lived in Jomtien at the time... There was a little more to it...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/City+busi ... a077652496
City businessmen in bar-room brawl as Thailand 'pie war' erupts.
Two Birmingham entrepreneurs are at the centre of a violent 'pie war' with a rival UK company over who should sell meat products to British tourists in Thailand.

Armed Thai police moved into a British-run pub in the beach resort of Pattaya, where a meeting between the competing firms turned into a bar room brawl.

One of the feuding firms is Simple Simon, a butcher's shop owned by Brian Fewtrell, aged 50, from Northfield and 55-year-old Wayne Harper, also from Birmingham.

Their rival, the Bangkok-based Royal Oak meat pie company, is run by Robin Wallbank, aged 62, who is formerly from Bradford.

The row erupted over the rights to supply pies, sausages, chicken and Cornish pasties to thousands of British tourists in the popular beach resort town.

Mr Fewtrell's brother Mickey, who runs a jewellers in the Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, said last night that he had recently been out to Thailand to stay with his brother.

'Brian's been out there off and on for two years now, but for the last eight months he has been in Thailand full time sorting out the business,' he said.

'Wayne is the one with the expertise, he was a qualified butcher somewhere in the Black Country before he went out to Thailand.

'Brian used to be in the jewellery business as well and he put up the money to get the business going.'

Mr Wallbank, who received a black eye during the skirmish, said: 'Suddenly the pie business has taken on an ugly side. I have been in Thailand selling successfully for over ten years.'

Fists flew at a bar in Jomtien on the outskirts of Pattaya after the representatives from the two pie companies met to discuss business.

'I did not have any time to say anything. I was grabbed round the neck and then thrown to the floor,' said Mr Wallbank.

'Just then police broke in drew out their guns and pressed them to the temples of my adversaries.

'I had reported the matter to a colleague who was a policeman but I wasn't expecting such drastic action. However I am thankful they intervened'.

Mr Harper, of Simple Simon, said last night: 'It was all a misunderstanding. I don't really want to comment. But we do not want to go to war. There is plenty of business here for us all.

'When police arrived I was buried under a pile of them. One drew a gun and held it to my throat. It was scary.'

Last night, Mr Fewtrell, who is divorced and has two children, confirmed he was involved with the Simple Simon company but refused to comment on the incident.

Pattaya police said that Londoner Ray Rose, aged 59, who runs the Jigsaw Pub in Jomtien where the showdown happened, had been arrested and bailed in connection with allegations of assault, and licensing irregularities.
BTW. Not that anyone is probably particular interested. I had my first taste of Scotch Eggs, and authentic English pasties, pies and sausages from Simple Simons in 2000. Wayne became a friend of mine.
As for reheating frozen pies: I thaw them in the fridge, take 'em out, let them attain room temperature, and pop 'em into a toaster oven for 15-20 minutes, perfect. :D

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » February 1, 2015, 3:00 pm

Robin wallbank :-k

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by mathusalah80 » February 1, 2015, 3:13 pm

ozzydom wrote:Today, I was lucky enough to be invited to try a meat pie created by Peter the resident cook at Cherm Chim and what a great pie it was.
Great pastry (not to thick) filled to the brim with tasty wagyu beef mince and gravy of perfect consistency , I then tried the steak and mushroom creation, this pie was again full to the brim but of cubes of tender beef in a mushroom gravy.
These two pies were the best I have eaten in S/E Asia and not just Udon Thani.
TWO pies! :shock: Hope your stomach doesn't match the size of your appetite. :lol: What are the respective weights and prices of these two pies?

pomps
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by pomps » February 1, 2015, 3:23 pm

I think Ozzydom has said they were both cheaper than a Lady pie in comparison so a pie filled to the brim with Wagyu mince must be below the 90 baht Aussie meat pie and the Steak n mushroom must be below 120 baht 8)

At least gives you a starting point \:D/ Maybe cheaper in comparison with a higher weight tho :-k :D 8)

The policy at chernchimchoice is that you phone for the price of any goods 8)

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by mathusalah80 » February 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

Poms wrote:........Maybe cheaper in comparison with a higher weight
Hence my enquiry regarding the respective weights, to enable a comparison! :-k :lol: So?
Also wrote:....The policy at chernchimchoice is that you phone for the price of any goods.
Naah! I prefer to obtain such vital information from a knowledgeable & impartial source, such as you Pomps! ;) :lol:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by Khun Paul » February 1, 2015, 4:52 pm

In all honesty pies are a delight that many of us indulge in and where one buys it and who makes it is also a personal choice. me I'd rather buy from places where not only do I know the chef, but also having eaten at their establishments, I am aware that the kitchen is ok as well, which therefore leads me to believe that the quality of the pies are also good. Value ( cost ) is rather irrelevant in any event, if I am happy eating them I will continue to do so, after all it is my stomach that digests them NOT yours.
I have had pies that have come up from Pattaya/Bangkok, and too be honest they are not the same nor in my estimation will they ever be, quality wise . However to each there own, if you are happy eating over-priced and in my estimation poor quality pies , that is your decision and I would not try to sway you away from your provider.

socksy
udonmap.com

Meat Pies

Post by socksy » February 1, 2015, 5:09 pm

Bloody hell! I can see this developing into another BBQ cook off with blindfolded tasting. Everyone has their own personal taste and favourite chef/cook. So be it. At least the Pattaya saga never resulted in death unlike the 'ice cream war' in Glasgow years ago. Off to watch the grass grow now.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”