AlibabaExpress & Custom's Fees

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » April 23, 2015, 1:55 pm

I am considering ordering for the first time a massage cushion product off AlibabaExpress.com with a value of 6000 Baht and it would be delivered from China by parcel post in a box which is approximately 32" x 20" x 10" and weighing 26 lbs. My concern is that the larger parcel would attract the attention of customs and the local post office will call me in to pay a heavy customs tax. Has anyone ordered a larger product from AlibabaExpress and what was your experience with delivery and customs? I have had much smaller packages mailed from the US and never had a problem. The smaller packages seem to come in "under the radar". Thanks in advance for your responses.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » April 23, 2015, 2:17 pm

I just ordered an Android TV box from them and it was one of worts experiences. I had to argue with them constantly to get status and get the product. It was promised in 5 - 10 days and finally took about a month.

The people lied to me by giving me a non-existent tracking number for DHL. Then told me the slowdown was because of a big Chinese holiday. When I researched it I found the holiday was a 3-day weekend. Only one working day!

Finally when it was shipped and I got a valid DHL tracking number it took 8 days to deliver the package from Bangkok to Udon.

Maybe I am an isolated acse but I don't think I will order again from these guys.

By the way, you probably know Alibaba is just a broker, a middle man between you and the seller, kind of like E-Bay. Its the seller you have to argue with. Maybe you will get a better seller.

As for customs, I would expect the seller to handle that for you. When I finally got my box there were no customs issue but mine weighed maybe 10 pounds with packaging.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » April 23, 2015, 2:43 pm

If you go to the Thai customs website, then hit the "search for import tariff" and then type in "cushion" you will get a
few sub-categories...

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

I couldn't see anything for "massage cushion" in particular, but under "cushion" unfortunately what is there would seem to indicate that you might wind up paying "ad valorem rate %" of 80%. Hope I am wrong about that :)

I have ordered dozens of things from ebay and 99% of them I never paid any import duties. I have only ordered one thing through Aliexpress. That was a 26,000 THB solar inverter. I had a similar experience to the poster above in that the tracking number I got was useless. The inverter did arrive though, in 3 weeks, and I paid less than expected... I think around 8% of cost.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » April 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

If you can get them to send it via ChinaPost, and thence through Royal Thai Post rather than through some private delivery service you might avoid the duties completely. If it arrives through DHL or the like, you will DEFINITELY pay the duties!!!

FYI, I also noticed that on ebay they have a new gimick to make money. Some sellers will pay the customs duties for you, and add that to the price of the item. The added customs charges are ridiculously high in my opinion. I'd avoid this "service" like the Black Plague if I were you, since most things that arrive via the RTP are never charged a single Baht.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Re: AlibabaExpress & Custom's Fees

Post by dingdong » October 25, 2016, 11:55 am

Wife is asking if Aliexpress is a site that can be trusted in delivery of orders
Your comments woud be appreciated

Thanks Ding

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » October 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Lazada *MUCH* better!

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » October 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

And Reason(s) would be ???

DuiDui
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui » October 25, 2016, 1:06 pm

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 25, 2016, 2:19 pm

Banggood and ebay,using PayPal, are my go to sites. Excellent CS if an issue.

lazada next , COD, as usually a bit more expensive, but faster delivery, so if close, will use. NEVER a customer service problem, and 2 (free) returns / refunds were fast and professionally handled. No complaints with all 3.

AliExpress my last choice, since don't use PayPal, and if a problem, not the best at solving quickly. Saying that, I've ordered plenty from them and will continue to, when needed.

Couple items w/AE, slow and or crappy customer service from the vendor. AE will step in and assist. All in all, trustworthy. CS......just OK.

I buy most of my electronics online (drones, RC, whole, parts, phones, and novelty items)

Since above poster's WIFE asked.............shoes, clothes, jewelry are simply things I wouldn't recommend buying online, or anything expensive from AE. Sizing being the main issue, unless extremely familiar the the product manufacturer.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 25, 2016, 2:36 pm

I've made a few orders on AliExpress since last posting on this thread. All went okay. With all the hype on UM about Lazada I went through and compared some of the items I bought from Ebay and AliExpress vs Lazada and almost always they were cheaper (including shipping) than Lazada. As they say... Up to You :)

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 25, 2016, 2:49 pm

For me, Ebay all the way with anything and everything. From simple and small electronic items to large motorcycle parts. Never a problem.

If it's speed you want in delivery, you'll probably get tagged by Customs on anything that comes UPS, FedEx or DHL. With anything I've ordered using those carriers, it gets stopped in BKK, and I get a phone call.

If it's to avoid Customs and VAT, the postal services give you the best odds. For some reason, it's always under the radar, and probably due to the sheer volume of it. If you want to improve your odds, get the vendor to use a mailing label in Thai addressed to a Thai national. For me, this has totally eliminated being "falanged" on import duties. I can only speak from my own experiences with this, and I get packages every month. The last package was over 13 pounds in a 12x12x12 box. With the postal services, everything comes straight to the house, never a Customs fee and very rarely a VAT charge. I can't recall the last time I had to pay any fees of any kind using the postal services.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 25, 2016, 2:55 pm

rjj04 wrote:I've made a few orders on AliExpress since last posting on this thread. All went okay. With all the hype on UM about Lazada I went through and compared some of the items I bought from Ebay and AliExpress vs Lazada and almost always they were cheaper (including shipping) than Lazada. As they say... Up to You :)
Agree, as stated, Lazada is usually more expense. Sometimes quite a bit, others, just marginal, so will use then. A couple times, surprisingly, much cheaper. Of course if a large or expensive item, no worries about a custom duty, which 3 things I ordered, not expensive, but large parcels, were cheaper, and one less worry.

Fast delivery is always a plus with Lazada, if in country. If import, no advantage on delivery time. The other 3 have improved delivery times immensely, and most things arrive from China in 2 weeks or less recently. But all before their estimated delivery dates.

Never.........never..........did I mention ...... NEVER ...... use expedited service, FedEx, DHL, UPS, as guaranteed to get hit with a stiff customs duty. At least 10 % of declared value, up to 80 %, and that from personal experience.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 25, 2016, 8:32 pm

Went onto e-bay and looked for a specific product I Want.....Found the product & MANY Sellers....But NONE Will deliver to Thailand....

pomouk
udonmap.com

Post by pomouk » October 25, 2016, 9:46 pm

I through China had free trade with Thailand maybe not
if that is the case no import tax

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 25, 2016, 10:12 pm

I have no problem getting what I want, even some things they probably shouldn't be sending. What you looking for ???

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 26, 2016, 2:07 am

pomouk wrote:I through China had free trade with Thailand maybe not
Yep. I have never had anything taxed that came from China, or Korea, or any of the other Asian countries. But that is only MY experience.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 26, 2016, 2:08 am

12345 wrote:I have no problem getting what I want, even some things they probably shouldn't be sending. What you looking for ???
Same here. I've always been able to find an Ebay merchant who ships to Thailand. Just have to do a little extra searching. =D>

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 26, 2016, 6:15 am

novelty items...oyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 26, 2016, 6:27 am

pomouk wrote:I through China had free trade with Thailand maybe not
Twice had custom duty via China and Singapore, though sent DHL, which simply gave it to ThaiPost anyway. At least it was a proper tax or 10 %. Sadly had no choice around DHL, though it did offset the sale price.

Won't make that mistake again.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 26, 2016, 10:34 am

maaka wrote:novelty items...oyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not that kind, maybe I should have added 'movie novelties', like Yoda, IronMan figurines..... :roll:

Though my other "flying" toys, and not out of my butt...........take batteries, and may be considered HazMat in some circles and surprised shipped. Some vendors will, some won't.

Although, just another knee jerk reaction for control, and nothing has ever happened due to batteries exploding or combustion.

And Curious George of course...........

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”