Complaining about Prices?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Complaining about Prices?

Post by parrot » June 5, 2017, 4:40 pm

Here's some food for thought:
My 500g box of Kellog's Cornflakes still costs 94 Baht at Ngeesoon.....after more than 7 years!

My TOT internet speeds have gone up....as in, way up!........yet my internet bill is lower than before.

An electric bill, 7 years ago, was 2680 Baht for 689kwh. Our most recent bill was 2688 Baht for 647kwh......only fractionally higher.

Our 3kg bag of O-Mo laundry soap costs the same today as it did 8 years ago.

One year extensions on retirement visas cost the same today as they did 8 years ago........as does our annual truck registration.

Yeah, I know, milk prices are way up as are many others. But I'd make a fair bet that you'd be hard-pressed to find anything in your home country that costs the same today as it did 7-10 years ago.

Just food for thought, next time you think about prices.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Re: Complaining about Prices?

Post by Alchai » June 5, 2017, 5:24 pm

Interesting information Parrot. I could never remember prices for that long unless I documented them. One thing that has gone up that changes everything is the Thai Baht :cry:
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 5, 2017, 5:56 pm

not complaining about prices , but the lack of mentioning them , isn't it a taboo to post prices here ? :D
advertisers without pricing , wonderful services anywhere but no price , home building and decoration materials all so beautiful but no price , many so called excellent services offered but at what price ? all a big mystery here ..
to me this is useless info because without a price we can never compare or conclude it was indeed good service at a good price ...for this of course you will need to be conscious about what the real thai price is and surely never compare with abroad ...so maybe there is hope here :lol:
and indeed ,fe many building products cheaper than 5 years ago, cellular blocks 15 baht( before 18-20) , normal cement 74 baht/bag (before 92) , iron rebar sd30 145 baht(165before)...enc...the registration of the car lowers every year because older , difference in electric bill with 15 years ago is + 500 baht now for same usage ...
medicine prices cheaper than before ..
but food has gone up a lot ...although we are still happy with the prices in los ... ;)

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » June 5, 2017, 7:00 pm

parrot wrote:Here's some food for thought:
My 500g box of Kellog's Cornflakes still costs 94 Baht at Ngeesoon.....after more than 7 years!
My takeaway from this is if someone is reasonably fit and healthy and eats corn flakes, I am going to go back to eating them.

My wife mentioned they aren't healthy but gave no reason. I eat them with low-sugar lactasoy.

They're way cheaper than my imported "Shredded Wheat honey flavor".

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 6, 2017, 8:06 am

I am hard pressed to complain about just about any of the prices of the stuff in the chest freezers at Tops these days.

...because nobody working there bothers to move and update the bloody price tags when they shuffle ---- around!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2017, 11:29 am

jimjay wrote:
parrot wrote:Here's some food for thought:
My takeaway from this is if someone is reasonably fit and healthy and eats corn flakes, I am going to go back to eating them.

My wife mentioned they aren't healthy but gave no reason. I eat them with low-sugar lactasoy.

They're way cheaper than my imported "Shredded Wheat honey flavor".

For about the last 3 months the imported shredded wheat (honey/raspberry/Apricot) have been down to B79 for 500g in the old Tesco. (from shopping deal thread)

Think you are being more than a bit selective with your choice of items parrot all imported or things the lower or middle class Thais would not have had 10 years ago [-X ... (your not a govt official working out Retail Price Index to adjust pensions are you?)

How about Somtam was B15 - B20 now B40 - B50, Chick fried rice (frozen) was B29 now B49 Petrol was B16 now ???

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 6, 2017, 11:53 am

I have just booked an Eva Air flight , Heathrow return for a little over 26k bht, that's less than I paid last time I went 10 years ago.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

trubrit wrote:I have just booked an Eva Air flight , Heathrow return for a little over 26k bht, that's less than I paid last time I went 10 years ago.
Sounds good trubrit ......... now work out the cost in GBP (pension money currency) and see if its the same price :lol:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
trubrit wrote:I have just booked an Eva Air flight , Heathrow return for a little over 26k bht, that's less than I paid last time I went 10 years ago.
Sounds good trubrit ......... now work out the cost in GBP (pension money currency) and see if its the same price :lol:
I don't know what you are saying Statts. The pound high and low for this day in 2007 was High 43.89.Low 43.73. Not much difference than today's actually .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » June 7, 2017, 2:55 am

65,28 THB=1 GBP on 6th June 2007 according to Historic Exchange Rates (x-rates.com)
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2017, 7:52 am

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » June 7, 2017, 8:13 am

tamada wrote:I am hard pressed to complain about just about any of the prices of the stuff in the chest freezers at Tops these days.

...because nobody working there bothers to move and update the bloody price tags when they shuffle ---- around!!

Tops must be losing a lot of money because of this inattention to pricing detail. They have the staff, but appear not to have supervisors. Freezer is full, of Japanese product, while Western type product is becoming less and less. Probably only 15% of items in freezer are priced. Some outlets though, have almost zero prices displayed, and it is down to the poor sales assistant having to call her Boss to get the price of a tin of beans and a can of soup.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 7, 2017, 8:15 pm

parrot wrote:
Yeah, I know, milk prices are way up as are many others. But I'd make a fair bet that you'd be hard-pressed to find anything in your home country that costs the same today as it did 7-10 years ago.

Humm where I live there have been very few price increases since I came here in 1990 though a few have gone up a little in the last 2 years. Almost all the price increases have been due to two changes in the consumption tax rate.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 8:58 pm

Uk prices since brexit have come down approximately 16-18%... the uk imports haven't dropped and have probably risen.i wonder who's pocketing this.also how low would the pound have to sink before any sort of show.im thinking maybe 20b to the pound and we might get but two get one free would be the best we would get.nothing more than getting milked,probably get told,oh well you've not took inflation into account and transport costs when oil not been this cheap for years.i don't do uk stuff anymore,I've learned to live with Thai alternitves and stock up when I go back to uk.mate comes once a year and brings me tea bags and ciggy papers.i have noticed food in general creeping up.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 9:02 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
parrot wrote:

Humm where I live there have been very few price increases since I came here in 1990 though a few have gone up a little in the last 2 years. Almost all the price increases have been due to two changes in the consumption tax rate.
Are you really sure about that,1990 was 27 years ago.i know the prices on the moon ain't changed much.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2017, 1:26 pm

Marcosteffano wrote: Are you really sure about that,1990 was 27 years ago.
Yes, I am. There was some increase in In the first couple of years.

A few prices have increased but many are the same or lower now than they in 1990.
Not really so strange given that in 11 of those years the CPI fell by an average of 0.6% per year and in 9 more the increase averaged just over 0.4% per year. The three years within the period when there was a big jump were caused by rises in direct tax of 60% and 62% even then the increase the first time was well under 2%
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 9, 2017, 11:22 pm

Come to think of it since 1990 the r2d2 hasn't risen,the cp3o hasn't risen and the o,b 1 kanobi has flatlined so you are probably right.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 30, 2018, 2:59 pm

We had one of those days....shopping/eating.....in Udon.....where everything went as planned. Even though it was a Monday/holiday/schools closed, we beat the rush to our favorite lahb restaurant near the mosque. By the time we left at noon, the place was nearly full.
Then to buy mealworms next to Bangkok Hospital.......no traffic on Watthananuwong Rd. Then to Makro where the parking lot was overflowing (end of month pay, holiday). But inside the veggies and fruit were abundant and cheap. I've never seen melons cheaper and better than in Makro.....several variety as well. All the cashiers were open, so despite the crowd, there was only a few minute wait. On the way home, we stopped at a store just past the kilo 5 turnoff to KK on the ringroad.........bamboo ladders, freshly delivered from Prachinburi.......thick aged bamboo and straight as an arrow. 5meters/500 Baht.
On the way home, my wife and I were yakking about how Makro was a dump 15 or so years ago....poor selection of everything, not fresh, checkouts that took ages, and dirty bathrooms. That was then. There's even a uniformed greeter at the store now (maybe not everyday) who seems to enjoy engaging in a bit of English conversation.

Another day in paradise!

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 30, 2018, 3:15 pm

I will be shopping at Macro shortly.Hope not crowded!
I wonder why they dont have credit card service?
No plastic carrier bags! Thats good.
I bought their own reusable ones they sell.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » July 30, 2018, 3:21 pm

"There's even a uniformed greeter at the store now (maybe not everyday) who seems to enjoy engaging in a bit of English conversation."
Guy with glasses ? I see him 3 times a week and I always stop to do the "good morning ,and how are you today" routine
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”