Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by glalt » June 14, 2019, 10:01 am

I'm not a trained electrician either but I do know how to use a multimeter. I have two of then, one is a high quality Fluke and the other is a cheap one. Both work well enough for my use. Checking extension cords is simple using the continuity setting. You don't have to tear it apart. Touch the ground pin on the plug and the ground hole on the outlet. If there is no continuity, there is no third wire in the cable.

You can also check your three pin house outlets. Set your multi meter for voltage and insert the black probe into the ground hole and the red probe into a slot. You will need to try it with both slots because you won't know which one is the hot one. If there is no voltage reading that means it is not grounded.

My Fluke meter is a clamp type that I regularly use to check the amperage draw on my solar systems. It can read the DC side as well as the AC side of my inverter. The cheap meter doesn't have that option. To check the current draw, you can make your own splitter or you can buy one. To check the amperage draw you can only put the meter clamp over the positive wire. You cannot put the clamp over both wires.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 14, 2019, 11:51 am

If 2 prong plugs and sockets "are perfectly safe and acceptable" i wonder why electrical codes call for a 3 wire grounded system? i would suspect the 3rd wire is for safety purposes. So if you're not concerned with electrical safety than by all means use a 2 wire system.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 14, 2019, 1:12 pm

fdimike wrote:
June 14, 2019, 11:51 am
If 2 prong plugs and sockets "are perfectly safe and acceptable" i wonder why electrical codes call for a 3 wire grounded system? i would suspect the 3rd wire is for safety purposes. So if you're not concerned with electrical safety than by all means use a 2 wire system.
You are talking about house wiring, I'm talking about extension cables.

Of course House wiring should have an earth, I've never suggested otherwise, so earthed appliances will have the correct connection.

There is no point to use a three pin extension cable and socket for double insilated items.

Of course a 2 core cable and extension is not correct for an item that has a 3 pin plug on it, I have never suggested that it is
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 14, 2019, 2:13 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 12, 2019, 6:50 pm
It seems that all the big places like Global House sell some quality cords in different lengths, but all are really 2 wire, even though they will accept 3 wire plugs. I have made some, but just not the same.
Hmm, seems that everything electric I buy here in Udon has a 2 prong plug. lawn mower, hedge trimmer, miter saw, lawn trimmer, refrigerator, washing machine, you name it.

I did replace the one on the washing machine and installed a ground wire. Why, "I Just Don't Know".

The above Extension Cords have a international receptacle, so it will accept any and all types of plugs, and on the other end, a 2 prong American type plug.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 14, 2019, 3:29 pm

II agree with RLT, many too, many tools , appliances are connected via a 2-prong socket, is it safe ? I dont think so. Many people will tell you that the ground wire is not needed because ( 1) most appliances-tools are made of plastic and ( 2) major appliances ( water heaters, ac unit) are RCD breaker protected. Few years ago when we purchased a new modern ( electronic ) washing machine without a draining pump, water flowing on the ground but with a 3-prong plug, i asked a << qualified >> electrician to install a ground wire to the existing ac outlet.... Don t need- he said, i know by experience that a ground is needed for proper functioning of the electronics. I asked to install a RCBD..... DON t need he said.
But wait, things are changing, improving.... I am buying a Mitsubishi submersible pump... as you can see in the attached image Mitsubishi now advertise that the pump comes with a GROUND WIRE..... progress my friend. So the old one did not have a GROUND WIRE.

[attachment=0]pump-p-.png[/attachment]
Attachments
pump-p-.png
pump-p-.png (94.39 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Actually I'm talking about ANY kind of electrical wiring. There's absolutely no difference between house wiring and an extension cord when it comes to the safety aspect. Short of a cordless/double insulated tool i always use a a 3 wire especially when working outside. When outside the extension is connected to a GFCI circuit for additional safety. They're very easy to make and rubber covered 3 wire cable is easily sourced.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 14, 2019, 4:26 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 14, 2019, 2:13 pm
RLTrader wrote:
June 12, 2019, 6:50 pm
It seems that all the big places like Global House sell some quality cords in different lengths, but all are really 2 wire, even though they will accept 3 wire plugs. I have made some, but just not the same.
Hmm, seems that everything electric I buy here in Udon has a 2 prong plug. lawn mower, hedge trimmer, miter saw, lawn trimmer, refrigerator, washing machine, you name it.

I did replace the one on the washing machine and installed a ground wire. Why, "I Just Don't Know".
Any double insulated appliance which many are these days are clearly marked on the label with a double square, one inside the other.
Anything marked with this symbol does not and should never be , earthed.

Example here.......( first to come up on a Google search)
https://www.grainnet.com/enewsletter/Sa ... 0_17.html

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 14, 2019, 4:29 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:57 am
bluejets wrote:
June 14, 2019, 5:35 am
So I stand by my statement that 2 pin and socket extensions on 2 core cable are perfectly safe and acceptable.

Just goes to show you know nothing about electrical application.
No, it just goes to show that you should read and understand before making assumptions.

bluejets wrote:
The first thing that most would do presented with a 2 core cable/plug socket arrangement would be to cut or remove the earth pin as it won't fit the extension lead.
How can you cut off something that isn't there? Hint 2 pin plug, socket & cable extra bonus hint, no Earth pin to cut off.

A perfectly safe 2 pin plug, socket & cable being used for double insulated items. Not designed to be used for items that require an earth.

IMG_7560-2.jpeg
bluejets wrote:
I've seen it happen many times when a 15A lead is presented up to a 10A socket because "that's all they have at the time".
Same applies when they present the same 3 pin extension to any 2 pin outlet, which should be banned into the bargain.
I've never said that any of that is sensible

bluejets wrote:
Modifying the facts to suit your particular application because it is more convenient just doesn't cut it.
Cherry picking and ignoring points that are there for everyone to see does not help you claim to knowledge either.

Post number 10
June 13, 2019, 7:12 am
I completely agree that a 2 core cable with a 3 pin plug and sockets should be banned.
Typical know it all know nothing argumentative reply.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

bluejets wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:29 pm
Typical know it all know nothing argumentative reply.
And where was any factual error?

Maybe you don't like to admit that you couldn't be bothered to fact check you writing.

Plonk!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 14, 2019, 5:13 pm

I should post a picture of my Extension Cord on my lawn mower, which I have been meaning to fix for maybe a dozen of years. Sure you'al would get a kick out of it.
Maybe tomorrow. :lol:

aussie1.1950

Post by aussie1.1950 » June 17, 2019, 9:59 am

The 3 pin plug and socket in the picture are only rated for 125 volts.
I saw them at Dohome and asked them to remove them as they are dangerous.
Yes an ELCB or GFI are a must for safety.
Look at how many people die using chargers for phones that fail.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 17, 2019, 6:34 pm

aussie1.1950 wrote:
June 17, 2019, 9:59 am
To be exact they have a number of 15A 125V stamped into the plug. This suggests that they have been tested at that voltage/current and they are designed for the US market as you can see from the differential widths on the socket pins.

That does not make them dangerous used in a 220V application.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 17, 2019, 7:06 pm

Back when Cellini was being built, a bike-riding friend and I stopped by the show room and asked to see some of the models under construction. They were the premier homes of Udon at the time (probably still are). In the home we visited, still under construction, I noticed the wall outlets (not yet installed) were strung with 2 wires only. I asked......why not 3? The salesgirl said that construction had begun before the new building regulations had taken effect, requiring 3 prong/ground. A few months later, I visited again.........all the outlets were 3 prong. I can't remember the year, but probably 2005-2007. Prior to that time, you'd be hard pressed to find a 3 prong plug in any Thai home....new or old. Today it seems to be the standard.....whether the outlets are properly installed is anyone's guess.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 17, 2019, 7:58 pm

parrot wrote:
June 17, 2019, 7:06 pm
A few months later, I visited again.........all the outlets were 3 prong. I can't remember the year, but probably 2005-2007. Prior to that time, you'd be hard pressed to find a 3 prong plug in any Thai home....new or old. Today it seems to be the standard.....whether the outlets are properly installed is anyone's guess.
It is, the current standard is under, it came in officially in 2003

IMG_7582.JPG
Or at least the part that applies to most new houses.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » June 17, 2019, 8:48 pm

Having recently read the news of Udon expat that died while servicing his well pump. I was saddened by the news and thought I would enter this thread of old guys talking passed each other and being mean to each other for no good reason. I am a well driller I am not an electrician but I play a electrician in my own small world. Ungrounded circuit's are a way of life on construction sites it is not safe but is clearly manageable if you can pay attention to some golden rules that I won't discuss here because some people don't know what gold is or can't handle or follow the rules. A couple general thoughts however.
1)Have a discussion about proper wire size for the job with the ones you care about 2) Don't get on a high horse about ground wires unless you actually know what you probably don't actually know. Just because a wire goes to ground and it happens to be the ground wire is a great start but where is the grounding rod? how deep is it? and is all this s*&t actually connected to it? 3. And the one that single handedly scares the bejeses out of me in Asia is the use of PVC everything to include ungrounded PVC water well casing and on demand water heaters and suction well pumps. Stop for a second dip that drinking straw into your coke put your finger over the end of the straw now pull it out and wait for the air gap what is grounding what and when. Make goddamn certain your well pump and resistive hot water heaters are not just grounded with a "meter" but properly grounded with a properly driven rod.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 18, 2019, 7:13 am

first step is to turn off the power to what ever your working on, this place is so bad I wouldn't even change a lightbulb without turning the fuse box off first. safety first . playing with thai electrical equipment is about as safe as driving blindfold. as for extension leads best just make your own . Every extension I have had here eventually has a melt down , microwaves kill them,toasters, electric grills . had one melt down last week just drawing 400w.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 18, 2019, 8:31 am

papafarang wrote:
June 18, 2019, 7:13 am
as for extension leads best just make your own .
I'm with you on that. The extension lead I showed above is quite happy at 3000W as it's 2.5mm multi strand copper home made. Shop bought are ok for lights and fans only IMHO.

aussie1.1950

Post by aussie1.1950 » June 18, 2019, 4:44 pm

June 17, 2019, 6:34 pm
aussie1.1950 wrote:
To be exact they have a number of 15A 125V stamped into the plug. This suggests that they have been tested at that voltage/current and they are designed for the US market as you can see from the differential widths on the socket pins.

It means they are not tested for more than 125 volts (or may have failed) and should not be used above that voltage.
Also it will invalidate any insurance should it cause a fire, because it is rated at a lower voltage than 240 volts.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 19, 2019, 7:28 pm

aussie1.1950 wrote:
June 18, 2019, 4:44 pm
June 17, 2019, 6:34 pm
aussie1.1950 wrote:

It means they are not tested for more than 125 volts (or may have failed) and should not be used above that voltage.
Also it will invalidate any insurance should it cause a fire, because it is rated at a lower voltage than 240 volts.
Exactly correct.
Voltage and current rating are just that, the rated safe use levels which should not be exceeded.
I think some of the drongos here think electrical rating is a bit like advisory speed signs, only when it suits the cheap charlie pocket.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Interesting post blue But I disagree with you completely. The same size and construction of every appliance here in Thailand using a FLAT blade plug is no different than 3 prong flat blade plug pictured earlier. I've been using those same flat blade with a ground pin plugs on every extension cord I've made here in Thailand. I've never had any issues at all. Additionally, every surge suppressor sold here in Thailand has the sane type flat blade with a pin plug. I suspect those plugs are made in the US and have to have that rating on it. 220V plugs in the US have a completely different design.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”