Automobile Battery

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
jingjai
udonmap.com

Automobile Battery

Post by jingjai » June 19, 2007, 1:34 pm

My new car is now 14 months old. I was told by someone that the battery that comes with new cars (here in Thailand) usually go bad after a year and it's a good idea to replace them after a year?
Hoping to pre_empt a dead battery in the middle of a rain store. Can anyone recommend a good shop to get a new battery?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 19, 2007, 1:38 pm

14 months may be a bit on the shy side - Average seems to be about 24 months.

Any tire shop - especially the big ones - like at Tesco or Big C - should have batteries. Of course, the dealership you bought the car from is another alternative.
Ain't Easy Being Me

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 19, 2007, 1:43 pm

Arjay,I have replaced my battery 3 x in the last 3 years.Of course it could have alot to do with the quality of battery.I only pay about 1100 baht.5 years before that,I can only remember changing it once.I think the battery that came with the car lasted over 3 years!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 19, 2007, 1:54 pm

I had to replace my battery once in 3 years, so far. Though I think that was caused by the fact that when I was away in England, the car was left with the vanity mirror flap open which meant that a small light stayed on. After that although re-charged the battery tended to go flat if left more than week unused.

The new battery bought about 6 months ago has been fine so far.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 19, 2007, 7:08 pm

ok, batteries here are sht, very old tech, not sure they even sell in states anymore. get this, you still have to add water to them, yikes. so if you don't and i'm sure many don't or don't realize it, as i didn't and replaced battery once when one cell crapped out. probably because dry. so, every so often, 6 months, pop the top and add water and they will last a lot longer.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » June 19, 2007, 7:41 pm

use Distilled water to top up
tap water will FK the battery up

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » June 19, 2007, 7:57 pm

Jing If your bored and dont mind the potnetial of covering yourself in battery acid and possible lighting your car on fire you can do this. Pop the caps on the battery fill them to the top with distiled water reverese the polararity on the battery charger so black neg to pos pos to neg and hit it with a couple hundred amps for a minute unplug the cord but dont get close to the battery yet drink a beer and wait a few minutes for the battery to stop offgassing add more distiled water. At this point you have either destroyed the battery, lit your car on fire ( take the battery out to do this) or burnt out whatever was stuck between the anode and the cathode in the bad cells. Now you can recharge your battery like normal and it could be fine for a while.

202marcellus
udonmap.com

Post by 202marcellus » June 20, 2007, 12:31 am

ok, batteries here are sht, very old tech, not sure they even sell in states anymore. get this, you still have to add water to them, yikes. so if you don't and i'm sure many don't or don't realize it, as i didn't and replaced battery once when one cell crapped out. probably because dry. so, every so often, 6 months, pop the top and add water and they will last a lot longer.
Are you kidding? I had no idea they still made those type batteries. I have 3 vehicles. 2 newer models and a 1996 model that I bought in September of 1995. It still has the original battery and starts fine every time.

With each passing week the more I learn about Thailand the more interesting I thinks it's going to be living there.

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » September 4, 2007, 6:35 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking on this site for some time. Lots of good info and good guys it seems.

Anyway I need to buy a battery for the pick-up. I went to the tire center behind Lotus and they refused to check/test the battery and just wanted to sell me a new one.

Fu%^ that.

They also told me their best battery for pick-ups was only warrantied for 6 months. Is this normal for Thailand?

So my question(s) are:

Do any of the major tire centers sell good quality truck batteries and do they have the equipment to actually check the old battery?

Does anyone know of a shop in town that sells/installs a good quality truck battery?

Also does anyone know what the best brand of truck battery is that one can buy in Udon?

Thanks in advance,

g.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 5, 2007, 7:50 am

My Nissan pick up is now three years old and the original battery is still going strong. My wife came home the other day and told me the battery was no good. I was getting ready to go shop for a new one and then she told me that she had forgotten to turn off the fog lights. I asked her how long they were on and she told me only for four hours. A jump start and it is still going strong. I intend to wait until it dies before replacing it.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 5, 2007, 8:01 am

I have a Nissan neo 8 yrs old!The battery lasted about 5 years.I have bought 3 batteries in the last 3 1/2 years for aprox 1200 baht a piece.It seems to me that the original battery probably was not made in Thailand and the subsequent ones are typical Thailand stock,but they are not to expensive! :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”