Buying Furniture

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
stockmktgenius
udonmap.com

Buying Furniture

Post by stockmktgenius » June 20, 2007, 10:16 am

Anybody know where I can buy some solid-wood furniture? I need a individual-size bed and a chest of drawers. There's a shop selling it near Teung Sri Meung, but it's really expensive! At fairs I've been to in Udon, they have solid-wood furniture for half that price, but I don't know how to contact them now. Can anybody help? :D

valentine

Re: Buying Furniture

Post by valentine » June 20, 2007, 10:22 am

stockmktgenius wrote:Anybody know where I can buy some solid-wood furniture? I need a individual-size bed and a chest of drawers. There's a shop selling it near Teung Sri Meung, but it's really expensive! At fairs I've been to in Udon, they have solid-wood furniture for half that price, but I don't know how to contact them now. Can anybody help? :D
You get what you pay for. In my experience the market fairs sell cheaper but generally the wood is not seasoned, therefore it shrinks after manufacture leaving unsightly cracks in the finished product. Unfortunately there is no way to determine this but having to rely on the makers integrity, but remember TIT. :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 20, 2007, 12:02 pm

There ARE a few guys who drive around our housing estate selling This type of Furniture but I live in Nong-Khai,But IT Does LOOK the Business,BUT then again I AM NO expert. :oops: :oops:

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » June 20, 2007, 12:37 pm

Try the prison shop.
Located outside the prison :lol:
The have some really nice stuff and between myself and some friends we have purchased quite alot with no quality issues.
If you don't see what you like you can talk with them about having a special made.
I think it is cheaper, better quality and you actually have a choice in design unlike the same same fair product's.
Well worth a look but beware you may come away with more than you bargained for if you take the wife.
"Is very cheap darling, we buy this too" #-o
Free the Doug 1

valentine

Post by valentine » June 20, 2007, 12:50 pm

Roy wrote:Try the prison shop.
The have some really nice stuff and between myself and some friends we have purchased quite alot with no quality issues.
If you don't see what you like you can talk with them about having a special made.
I think it is cheaper, better quality and you actually have a choice in design unlike the same same fair product's.
Well worth a look but beware you may come away with more than you bargained for if you take the wife.
Good Tip Roy. Yes forgot that one. Some excellent stuff in there ,all at knocked down prices. :lol:

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 20, 2007, 5:12 pm

I think this topic would actually be more appropriate under "Shopping".
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 20, 2007, 5:25 pm

JimboPSM wrote:I think this topic would actually be more appropriate under "Shopping".
"And so it came to pass" (just as it had been written). ;) :D

stockmktgenius
udonmap.com

Post by stockmktgenius » June 24, 2007, 10:23 am

Thanks for the advice! The prison shop had beautiful furniture! We found exactly the item we wanted- solid wood- at half the price of stores!

whittler

Post by whittler » June 25, 2007, 11:19 am

Roy wrote:Try the prison shop.
Could you tell me where the prison is located ?

whittler

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » August 9, 2010, 6:16 pm

Just wanted to bump this topic as I will be furnishing my home this week or next. Is the prison shop still in business and is it located at the prison?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 9, 2010, 9:20 pm

greatsnake wrote:Just wanted to bump this topic as I will be furnishing my home this week or next. Is the prison shop still in business and is it located at the prison?

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Yes,the shop is still there located right near the prison, not actually in the prison.

OT........ \:D/

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » August 11, 2010, 2:55 pm

For solid wood furniture, you may also want to check out the store on the opposite side of the highway overpass from Big C. I just purchased a bedset there and found the selection to be better than the prison store. Prices at both places seemed comparable.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 11, 2010, 6:56 pm

Global is now carrying a decent variety of wood furniture. I'm not certain, but guessing it's rubber tree wood (I think that's a medium grade of wood). Nothing fancy in design, but the prices looked fair.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » August 12, 2010, 6:37 pm

Just got back from the prison store and found exactly what I was looking for at good prices ( the labeled prices are the starting point for negotiations).

=D> Thanks to everyone who chimed in with information. =D>

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » August 12, 2010, 7:24 pm

Guys - I'd never heard of this prison shop, I'm all ears. Come on Roy lets have some proper directions, Passing prison heading towards Prince Pratamnak monument, would it be b4 prison or after? Is it on same side or opposite side? How many shops between or is it right next door?

Have to ask, is this furniture by chance made by the in-mates, would explain why the prices are so reasonable???

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » August 12, 2010, 7:31 pm

Global has got some real nice stuff in right now, and I wouldn't necessarily say it was over-priced, just not within my budget for 6 rental apartments, it's got that sort of beauty about it that would only be appreciated by the owner, sort of stuff that would need professional polishing to remove tea cup marks. Well worth a look if you appreciate the beauty of real-wood.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » August 12, 2010, 9:10 pm

The shop is on the left side as you look at the prison. You can't miss it as they have the front open and even have a few items on the sidewalk. The man whom we paid actually was actually a policeman. Yes, the items are actually made by inmates, but the quality is quite good. Do a Google Maps search of "Udon Thani prison" to find the location of the prison.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Buying Furniture

Post by KHONDAHM » April 15, 2011, 7:53 am

I had a HORRIBLE experience at Koncept (SB Furniture). I was so disgusted, I waited a week to post about it just to give myself time to cool off.

I found a bedroom set for one of my kids in the brochure, went back to the store - same display as in the brochure. I ordered it, paid a deposit, and it was promptly delivered and assembled the next day. But wait...the steps were missing. So, the installer referred us to the "owner" (who was actually the "salesperson" I spoke with) and, thinking there was surely a simple mistake, I figured she would just send the steps right over. No. The steps would be another THB 4,500. But...the catalog AND the in-store display were identical and each had the same price, how could you think to charge me more, I politely asserted. So, I put the wife on the phone to sort the matter. The owner became VERY belligerent towards my wife to the point that my wife had to scream through the phone for the owner to shut up and listen. Totally not in my wife's congenial nature - so that is saying something right there. Still, my wife tried to politely resolve the matter by asking to see some evidence that the steps were indeed not included in the price - another catalog, a warehouse order book - anything. We would not object to paying the difference after seeing such evidence. I could hear the owner screaming at my wife from 5 meters away and my wife becoming visibly upset and angry (never happens). The call ended with the owner saying she would send her people back to take back the entire set (wardrobe, table, bed) AND keep my THB 8,000 deposit as a penalty for "us" wasting "her" time, then abruptly hung up on my wife. It was now late evening and I was :badteeth:. The installers returned (nice fellas) reluctantly and I informed them they could take the bed (useless to my son without the steps), but the rest was not going anywhere and I would pay the THB 1,200 to square things for the cost of the desk and wardrobe. They listened, understood our position, and mediated with the owner to simply show us the evidence we requested - no problem.

Next day, the store called my wife and I went down to see the catalog evidence. A young gentleman I'd seen before who speaks clear English greeted me and immediately apologized for the whole incident. In fact, he handled everything from that point very well - explaining to the owner (perhaps she was his wife?) that they were indeed at fault. Without any indication or explanation that the steps were not included, any reasonable person would be led to believe the displayed steps were included in the price for the set. I paid the difference and the steps were delivered and assembled.

A week later, my wife and I are still upset about the treatment we received by the owner. We are still disgusted and decided to take the rest of our business to Index where we have been treated well. When Index screws up something, we never had any problems getting it sorted out promptly and professionally. If it means I have to fork over a 15%-20% premium over Koncept prices for such service, so be it.

It is especially disappointing because we'd ordered quite a bit from Koncept over the years with no problems. We were returning satisfied customers ready to give them the majority of our business to furnish a 4 bedroom/2 living room/1 office home. Knowing this is what happens when there is a problem has put us off from that particular location forever. It is a shame because everyone else there has always been great. The owner still has not contacted my wife to personally apologize for her disgustingly rude behavior or offered any concession whatsoever (throwing in the steps for free or offering them at cost would have been a welcomed gesture - but no - the owner still insists on keeping her margin). IF she were just a salesperson, I would simply go to someone else next time; but as it is, I refuse to put anymore of my money in her pocket.

I still need some built-in work done which I planned to have them do, but it looks like I will be visiting some of the UM sponsor shops instead (should have checked them first, actually). I hope this helps someone make an informed decision in the future.

Cheers!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Buying Furniture

Post by Prenders88 » April 15, 2011, 8:38 am

Thanks for the heads up KD.
For all that customer loyalty and money you spent in Koncept, don't mean Jack Schitt.

We like Index, never had a problem with them.

Look out for their sales when they change the ranges, you can get some stonking bargains.
I think Index are better than IKEA in the UK, try finding a sales assistant in IKEA to help.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Buying Furniture

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 15, 2011, 8:39 am

Wow! Talk about shabby treatment and insulting behaviour, this store, and that woman, has to take the cake. You and your wife must still be fuming.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”