CVT fluid change

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: CVT fluid change

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2020, 4:52 pm

Doodoo wrote:
December 13, 2020, 2:54 pm
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... acture.%22

Jack
The tires he is talking about are not on a shelf (shelf life ) but are on a car
To take you pedantic response one step further, you may note that I was talking about tyres, not tires. ;)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 13, 2020, 5:18 pm

We aint in the Olde County

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » December 13, 2020, 6:15 pm

[quote=jackspratt post_id=599635 time=1607842576 user_id=1139]
[quote=pf-flyer post_id=599628 time=1607835839 user_id=4566]
Our last straw with the Honda Dealer was when they told us the we needed new tires when there was lots of tread left on our Bridgestone tires. We stopped at the Bridgestone store on the way home where we bought the tires and asked them to inspect our tires and they said that there was nothing wrong with the tires and the tires had plenty of tread left on them.
[/quote]

How old were the tyres?

There is a recommended shelf life, which is independent of the tread wear.
[/quote]

Please note we had our tires inspected by the Bridgestone dealer that we purchased the tires from. They had a record on file of our tire purchase.
From The Bridgestone Web Site:

When Should Your Tires Retire?
No matter how new your tire is, Bridgestone recommends checking inflation pressure every month and scheduling regular inspections with a pro. After five years, an inspection is essential to determine if a tire is still road-worthy.
We recommend tires that were manufactured 10 years prior (or longer) be taken out of service and replaced with new tires. Same goes for the spare. If it’s 10 years old, it needs to be replaced, even if it appears new.
It’s important to note that the age of a tire is not the only indicator of whether it needs to be replaced. Many tires will need to be replaced before 10 years of age due to routine tread wear and other conditions such as punctures, impact damage, improper inflation, overloading and more. If a tire is worn out or otherwise unserviceable from damage or conditions of use, it should be replaced regardless of when it was produced or purchased.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 13, 2020, 7:23 pm

Tyre's have a life regardless if they are on a shelf in the store or on the car, the tyre has a date on it and for me four years for the the car and two and a half years for the bike, then they are trash, hard as a rock, not real good in wet conditions, tread depth is irrelevant.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 13, 2020, 8:06 pm

Absolutely agree with fatbob.
I replaced my original Bridgestone on my Isuzu.
Still had 10k left after 70k.
Hard as a rock and squeeling on u-turns. Limited traction stopping I the wet.
But you don’t have to be a mechanic to know when to change your tyres.
Many years and 4 Tojo landcruisers in Aussie living out bush and deserts with 1 million Klm’s behind me teaches you not to go to the final limit of tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 13, 2020, 9:53 pm

Where would I find the date on the tyre?

Our renter is only 18 months old but the tyres squeal terribly on every u turn & multi storey car park ramps
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Centi
udonmap.com

Post by Centi » December 14, 2020, 5:21 am

Niggly wrote:
December 13, 2020, 9:53 pm

On The Tire is a 4 Digit D.O.T Number. For example 3316. This mean the Tire is Produced in Week 33 of the Year 2016

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 14, 2020, 5:39 am

Tyre date.jpg

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 14, 2020, 6:04 am

fatbob wrote:
December 13, 2020, 7:23 pm
Tyre's have a life regardless if they are on a shelf in the store or on the car, the tyre has a date on it and for me four years for the the car and two and a half years for the bike, then they are trash, hard as a rock, not real good in wet conditions, tread depth is irrelevant.
Agree 100% , good tyres are like good brakes, no point in starting if you cannot stop safely .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 14, 2020, 6:05 am

fatbob wrote:
December 13, 2020, 7:23 pm
Agree 100% , good tyres are like good brakes, no point in starting if you cannot stop safely .

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 14, 2020, 6:23 am

If the tyres are not inflated enough will cause squealing when turning

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Hot road surfaces will make for squealing tires too whether the tires be new or old. Also hot rubber on cool, smooth concrete or the glossy epoxy covering in parking garages will squeal too. Not a reliable metric for estimating tire replacement IMHO. Maintaining the correct tire pressures and knowing how old they are is the best guide, not how they sound. Tires are also the first part of your vehicles suspension and riding around on stiff rubber gives the springs and shocks a harder time too so the feel is also important. If you start feeling every expansion strip in the pavement or your fillings start coming loose, check your tires.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 14, 2020, 11:00 am

Centi wrote:
December 14, 2020, 5:21 am
Niggly wrote:
December 13, 2020, 9:53 pm

On The Tire is a 4 Digit D.O.T Number. For example 3316. This mean the Tire is Produced in Week 33 of the Year 2016
jackspratt wrote:
December 14, 2020, 5:39 am
Tyre date.jpg
Thanks & thanks 👍

I seem to have 1 x 3418 & 3 x 3518 which is 8 months before the car was registered which kinda makes sense.

They still squeal a lot though 😬

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 14, 2020, 3:45 pm

Interesting articles fopund relating to tyre squealing :
Your tyres’ squealing sound is caused by the coefficient of grip on a particular surface, as well as the speed and manner of the maneuver being performed. Of course, since such noise is caused by the tread block, the tread pattern also matters, with the different number of blocks, grooves and lamellas all factoring in.

If your tires squeal during normal driving conditions, it may indicate a problem. The problem usually lies with the tires themselves. New tires, worn tires, or low-quality tires can all cause a problem. Low-quality tires (often the least expensive tires) use a different tread compound than high-quality tires. This tread compound can cause a ..

Obvious causes, Low tyre pressure, incorrect alignment, low tread, sometimes very smooth surface ( like car parks ) .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 14, 2020, 7:57 pm

and also during the dry season as crud accumulates at the U-Turns it can cause squealing with some tires.
Dave

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
December 13, 2020, 12:03 pm
We had the CVT Fluid changed on our Honda City about a year ago at B-Quick on ring road right next to Home Pro. I do not remember the cost but it has always been cheaper to go to B-Quick than the Honda dealer. The Honda dealer always found ways to pad the bill and we would be there most of the day waiting for the work to be done. Our last straw with the Honda Dealer was when they told us the we needed new tires when there was lots of tread left on our Bridgestone tires. We stopped at the Bridgestone store on the way home where we bought the tires and asked them to inspect our tires and they said that there was nothing wrong with the tires and the tires had plenty of tread left on them.
The registration and insurance for my old Toyota were about to expire. Since the car had to be inspected, I took it to the Toyota dealer for service. When I picked the car up, they told me the tires needed replaced. The tires still look nearly like new. They also told me that the car needed new shock absorbers. The dealer was even a little pushy telling me the car was dangerous to drive. I told them that I would take my chances. The car passed the vehicle inspection with no problems.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 15, 2020, 3:08 pm

glalt wrote:
December 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

When I picked the car up, they told me the tires needed replaced. The tires still look nearly like new. They also told me that the car needed new shock absorbers. The dealer was even a little pushy telling me the car was dangerous to drive. I told them that I would take my chances. The car passed the vehicle inspection with no problems.
While the dealer may have exaggerated a little, that it passed the inspection tells you nothing about the quality of the tyres or shocks. If there is enough tread it passes, they don’t test the shocks.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 15, 2020, 5:20 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 15, 2020, 3:08 pm
glalt wrote:
December 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

When I picked the car up, they told me the tires needed replaced. The tires still look nearly like new. They also told me that the car needed new shock absorbers. The dealer was even a little pushy telling me the car was dangerous to drive. I told them that I would take my chances. The car passed the vehicle inspection with no problems.
While the dealer may have exaggerated a little, that it passed the inspection tells you nothing about the quality of the tyres or shocks. If there is enough tread it passes, they don’t test the shocks.
The entire set of tires have no more than 10,000 kilometers on them and have no weather checking or cracks. The car doesn't bounce up and down so the shocks seem to be working fine. I didn't look at the tire manufacture date.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 16, 2020, 6:43 am

We forget that like Hospitals Thais are looking to make a buck or two and if a gullible driver/owner can be persuaded to part with money then a bonus is they can sell your tyres to others , second hand price.
I always go back to the place I purchased my tyres, in this case Dunlop, no mucking about, honest appreciation but they said 4 years okay, tread fine.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 16, 2020, 9:38 am

Khun Paul wrote:
December 16, 2020, 6:43 am
We forget that like Hospitals Thais are looking to make a buck or two and if a gullible driver/owner can be persuaded to part with money then a bonus is they can sell your tyres to others , second hand price.
What absolute codswallop. Do you have to think about what you’re writing or does it just flow from your fingers?

Hospitals in the main are private companies who are only in business to make money. It’s not like the NHS in your beloved UK where the service is free. They should be treated like any other purchase, do your research & get quotes for big spends. (Unless life or death emergency of course where you might not get a choice)

As for selling tyres off second hand by persuading gullible people they need changing, do you have any evidence of this slur on respectable businesses?

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”