RIP Tesco

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
tamada
udonmap.com

RIP Tesco

Post by tamada » February 16, 2021, 2:06 pm

CP Group drops Tesco in rebrand move

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... brand-move

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: RIP Tesco

Post by semperfiguy » February 16, 2021, 3:15 pm

I had to laugh at the company's explanation of the new name, LOTUS'S...."The drop pin that appears in the new logo signifies that Lotus's is a one-store destination for customers while the S at the end stands for "Smart'' in all aspects".

As for the new colors on the sign and storefront, they offered this explanation....."With the store's new pastel tone, it is likely to help attract new young modern lifestyle consumers".

Wonder how much money they had to pay a professional consultation company to come up with that nonsense? Yea, when I see the store's new name and colors, that is exactly what I think of....NOT! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Then again, no prestigious Thai Fortune 500 company would want to be associated with those nasty farang companies.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 16, 2021, 3:47 pm

I'm more concerned about the befuddled farangs who will be driving around in northern Udon city circles, arguing with their long-suffering partners with, "Nonsense! Tesco's was here last week!"

Never mind, there's still a large Mr. D.I.Y. to draw the punters in.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 16, 2021, 5:35 pm

Basically our Tesco here in Ban Dung has been the "pits" from the day they opened, haven't been to either stores in Udon for years so don't care what they call em selves.
In saying that I do shop Tesco BD when effin BigC (just opposite) close off half of their undercover parking for "street vendors" or all sorts of other nonsense. Just can't figure the mentality.

Then again, maybe it's me who is "bar bar bor bor"!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 16, 2021, 9:30 pm

CP now owns Tops, Central Plaza, Lotus, 7-11. Given a choice of going to the old Tops, the old Complex (Udon), or Tesco mini marts, or going to the new Central Plaza or one of a gazillion 7-11 in Thailand, I'd happily choose the later. Tesco lost its footing in Thailand several years ago. If'n'when we return (sked this month) to Udon, I'll be happy to see a makeover at the new Lotus's. That said, CP Group has one hell of a stranglehold on the retail market in Thailand these days.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 16, 2021, 10:54 pm

parrot wrote:
February 16, 2021, 9:30 pm
CP now owns Tops, Central Plaza, Lotus, 7-11. Given a choice of going to the old Tops, the old Complex (Udon), or Tesco mini marts, or going to the new Central Plaza or one of a gazillion 7-11 in Thailand, I'd happily choose the later. Tesco lost its footing in Thailand several years ago. If'n'when we return (sked this month) to Udon, I'll be happy to see a makeover at the new Lotus's. That said, CP Group has one hell of a stranglehold on the retail market in Thailand these days.
And Makro is also CP owned
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 16, 2021, 11:05 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 16, 2021, 10:54 pm
parrot wrote:
February 16, 2021, 9:30 pm
And Makro is also CP owned
CP All have about 38% of Makro but are not the majority shareholder. The majority 55% belongs to Siam Makro Holdings (Thailand) Limited.

BUT... Siam Makro Holdings (Thailand) Limited and CP All Public Company Limited are BOTH subsidiaries of CP All Group, which holds the combined shareholding of 93.08 percent of total issued and paid up shares.

YCMTSU

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 16, 2021, 11:13 pm

Yeah, I should have added to the above list of old/new.......Old Makro, new Makro.....no comparison.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2021, 6:55 am

Wjat I have been told by my local shopaholic neighbou8r the downside is that CP /whatever is NOT going to honour all the points owned by the new remarketed store, so goodies and discounts will have to be reearned. I find that surp[rising but as this is Thailand, expect anything eh !!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 17, 2021, 7:54 am

i always was under the impression central group who own central plaza/robinson department store/tops was not part of the cp group ? ...but owned by the chirathivat family , not pokphand family? , is this changed? tesco lotus has been distributed by Ek-Chai Distribution System Co , owned by cp ... ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2021, 8:14 am

The CP family (Pokaphand) are if i recall correctly in the worlds top 10 rich list and worth zillions ..

On my travels i have seen huge factories and office blocks bearing the CP brand in MSK HW 23 and Chok Chai HW 24 they have huge swathes of land and thousands of employees apartments as all of their chicken processing is based there....also a massive 7/11 distribution center on HW 226 between Buriram and Korat.. and these just scratch the surface.

The size of the CP company is astounding.

I dont use Makro ..but is it better nowadays under CP control then it was prior to them being involved ?

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 17, 2021, 9:18 am

kopkei wrote:
February 17, 2021, 7:54 am
i always was under the impression central group who own central plaza/robinson department store/tops was not part of the cp group ? ...but owned by the chirathivat family , not pokphand family? , is this changed? tesco lotus has been distributed by Ek-Chai Distribution System Co , owned by cp ... ;)
No, you are correct. Central is owned by a completely different oligarch to CP.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 17, 2021, 9:22 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 17, 2021, 8:14 am
The CP family (Pokaphand) are if i recall correctly in the worlds top 10 rich list and worth zillions ..

On my travels i have seen huge factories and office blocks bearing the CP brand in MSK HW 23 and Chok Chai HW 24 they have huge swathes of land and thousands of employees apartments as all of their chicken processing is based there....also a massive 7/11 distribution center on HW 226 between Buriram and Korat.. and these just scratch the surface.

I dont use Makro ..but is it better nowadays under CP control then it was prior to them being involved ?

DM
And for those who's principles prevent them from feeding the obscenely rich billionaires, there's always Ngee Soon, your local Sino-Thai rich millionaires emporium. Alright if you don't mind the heat and the birdsh*t.

Last time I darkened their portals was well over a year ago but I recall they employed more katoeys on the checkouts than other places. Is this still the case DM?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2021, 9:40 am

tamada wrote:
February 17, 2021, 9:22 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 17, 2021, 8:14 am

DM
And for those who's principles prevent them from feeding the obscenely rich billionaires, there's always Ngee Soon, your local Sino-Thai rich millionaires emporium. Alright if you don't mind the heat and the birdsh*t.

Last time I darkened their portals was well over a year ago but I recall they employed more katoeys on the checkouts than other places. Is this still the case DM?
Yes ..

One of the few benefits of shopping there Tam .

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 17, 2021, 9:51 am

For what its worth, Ngsoon are the best value nappies in Udon even after the rip off 3% charge for using a credit card
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”