Khao Soi - ข้าวซอย

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
tamada
udonmap.com

Khao Soi - ข้าวซอย

Post by tamada » May 4, 2021, 1:00 pm

Traditional northern Thai breakfast/brunch dish is now available in Udon Thani Mrs tam found it online and ordered via Line.

60 baht a serving.
67603.jpg

Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Khao Soi - ข้าวซอย

Post by Niggly » May 4, 2021, 2:25 pm

Makro do a pretty tasty frozen boil in the bag/microwave version. I think it’s a 6 serving catering pack
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Post by tammakhun » May 4, 2021, 3:06 pm

It has been available consistently during the 13-years I lived here. it is just not a popular dish for most Isaan people so likely went unnoticed. I like it and eat it occasionally.

Khaosoi Udonthani has been around for years and moved locations a few times. It was originally a huge shop with way more chairs than needed.
S&P is a popular chain with it on their menu (expensive).
There is a vegan shop that started at Chinese temple, moved to near Mcdonald's and is now near airport that has a vegan version (inexpensive and tasty). I can't remember the name.
Can find it at a few other odd places too.

Edit to add: there are 6 shops that sell.it via Grab food. Only noticed this hours later because I decided to order some now due to this post. :)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 7, 2021, 7:42 pm

This is one of the frozen Khao Soi from Makro

Delicious

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2021, 9:19 pm

tammakhun wrote:
May 4, 2021, 3:06 pm
It has been available consistently during the 13-years I lived here. it is just not a popular dish for most Isaan people so likely went unnoticed. I like it and eat it occasionally.

Khaosoi Udonthani has been around for years and moved locations a few times. It was originally a huge shop with way more chairs than needed.
S&P is a popular chain with it on their menu (expensive).
There is a vegan shop that started at Chinese temple, moved to near Mcdonald's and is now near airport that has a vegan version (inexpensive and tasty). I can't remember the name.
Can find it at a few other odd places too.

Edit to add: there are 6 shops that sell.it via Grab food. Only noticed this hours later because I decided to order some now due to this post. :)
I've been here for the best part of thirteen years and the only time I had this before was when Mrs tam found some at an OTOP event at Central after she got her DL renewed, never to be seen again. I'm the only one that likes it so that's why it's been a bit off the tamada radar until this Grab and Line stuff.

But it's true that it's probably a niche market here in Udon so it's good to know there are some choices. Which one you reckon is the best? Don't fancy the vegan one as the fall-off-the-bone chicken is one of the best bits. Not keen on S&P either. Khao soi can be like pizza or somtam in that what one person likes, another may not. There were three places in Pattaya and the most authentic (and smallest) one on Chaloem Phrakiat was the one that sold out quickest. Some preferred another location on Third Road but it wasn't an exclusively Northern Thai restaurant so IMHO wasn't as good.

Meanwhile, I found Khaosoi Udonthani on Google maps but I'll get Mrs tam to check out some of the others on Grab.

Ta
tam

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2021, 9:20 pm

Niggly wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:42 pm
This is one of the frozen Khao Soi from Makro

Delicious

Where's the crispy noodles and pickles?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 7, 2021, 10:44 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2021, 9:20 pm

Where's the crispy noodles and pickles?
Crispy noodles still in Mrs N’s kitchen, I forgot to add them. They don’t come with the frozen meals.

Pickles, scoffed the lot yesterday, must get some more

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » May 8, 2021, 4:34 pm

Coincidence but had lunch at Khaosoi Tai today – always excellent and an equal to our favourite khaosoi restaurants in CM
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 8, 2021, 5:15 pm

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosoiUdonthani
ข้าวซอยไทยใหญ่ Khao Soi Thai Yai

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2021, 6:17 pm

parrot wrote:
May 8, 2021, 5:15 pm
Mrs tam confirmed the one pictured in my OP was indeed from Khasoi Udon Thani out near the airport. The broth needed a blast in the microwave to get it back up to piping hot. Their delivery is in 'kit form' with the broth/chicken in 1 bag and the wet noodles & cilantro, crispy noodles, dried chilli, pickles, chili sauce and a slice of lime each in individual wee bags.

Tomorrow's brunch (again)

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » May 9, 2021, 3:33 pm

tamada wrote:
May 8, 2021, 6:17 pm
parrot wrote:
May 8, 2021, 5:15 pm
Mrs tam confirmed the one pictured in my OP was indeed from Khasoi Udon Thani out near the airport. The broth needed a blast in the microwave to get it back up to piping hot. Their delivery is in 'kit form' with the broth/chicken in 1 bag and the wet noodles & cilantro, crispy noodles, dried chilli, pickles, chili sauce and a slice of lime each in individual wee bags.

Tomorrow's brunch (again)
Next time I suggest you prder the beef version - melt in your mouth
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”