TANG NGEE SOON SUPERSTORE

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
lee
udonmap.com

TANG NGEE SOON SUPERSTORE

Post by lee » April 3, 2008, 6:34 pm

We would like to welcome Tang Ngee Soon Superstore to udonmap.com. Some of you are probably already aware of their new store that has just opened, if not you can find the details on the advert below. Please click to enlarge.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 3, 2008, 7:58 pm

Was just in there today, again.
Good selection in their "international food corner".
Plus many other items in other locations around the store. Great selection of jams & jellies & breakfast cereals in other locations besides the "international food corner".
Plenty of parking.
One thing I enjoy, there IS NOT the constant bombardment of noise, ie: music, announcements, promotions, video games, etc., all happening at the same time.
Unlike some of Udon's other stores.
Plus, better prices. =D> :D

Dave58
udonmap

Post by Dave58 » April 6, 2008, 2:58 pm

Off topic posts split off.
rickfarang wrote:Got to agree - this place is pretty quiet. I hope it stays that way. I noticed that Big C now starts the aural bombardment with blaring speakers as soon as you arrive in the parking lot.

Tang Nee Soon compares nicely with Makro when it comes to dry goods. I liked the prices too. And yes, as when shopping anywhere, don't but too much of anything with which you are not familiar.
jingjai wrote:TANG NGEE SOON SUPERSTORE.
IMO, good positive shopping experience.

To the owners of TANG NGEE SOON SUPERSTORE, if you are reading this. Thank you for keeping it relatively quiet in there. Thank you for no video games. Thank you for wide spacious aisles. Keep doing what you are doing and you will keep me as a happy, contented, frequent customer.

My only suggestions, maybe a bigger bakery section, more dairy products and more imported cheeses. :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » April 6, 2008, 3:52 pm

I agree with the positive comments above about this place....good selection, wide aisles, ample parking, quiet surroundings without the blaring advertisements over the loudspeakers, etc.

The only negative comment that I have is that the place has no air conditioning. I personally find the heat/humidity in the place almost unbearable and we're not even into our hottest days yet. Wonder what it will be like in there when outside temps hit 42 or 43 C? Yeah, I know that not having a/c probably helps them keep their prices lower but seems a bit ludicrous to build such a nice facility without the a/c. Maybe if they placed some industrial-size fans around the store? jmho. :D

Also found the Western Meats products in the freezers and bought some fine looking steaks for the grill along with some bacon.

carpy

Post by carpy » April 20, 2008, 8:54 am

Tang Ngee Soon Superstore is having a promotion day with a free bbq and cider tasting from Western Wholesale Meat Company and Honey Apple Company from 11am till 3pm.Come on down.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 20, 2008, 9:15 am

Will the Honey Apple Company girls be there? ;)

carpy

Post by carpy » April 20, 2008, 9:32 am

Yes the girls will be there.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 20, 2008, 5:51 pm

Ok, the freeloading cheap charlies were out and about today, (myself and Dave/thai1on). After driving in to market, and scanning the outdoor vendors, hmm, there wasn

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 20, 2008, 5:55 pm

oops, dupe, one big one is enough, did i say that or did she say that. :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 20, 2008, 7:23 pm

Sorry I missed it. :(
I didn't log-in to the forum until after 3pm.

Still dreaming of the Apple Honey Girls... ;)

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 20, 2008, 10:09 pm

Ahhh yes the Honey Apple girls...you missed it boys. Yep me and LA were there (man they let anybody in there ;) ) and yes I too sampled Carpy wares. I myself like the steak between samples. Being an American I don't know a damn thing about cider so I when in unbiased. After tasting the different ciders I choose the Olde English Medium Dry Cider. I fact as I write this I'm drinking it right now, great stuff. Great product Carpy and a nice treat to drinking Leo or Tiger at the night market.

Great to meet Carpy too, hope you can make it to the night market now and then. OK A just switched off the lights and I can't find my Olde English 800 opps I mean my Olde English Cider :oops:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 21, 2008, 7:39 am

Ok, the meats, negative first, prep, not to my preference, as grilled on steel plate, no much if any seasoning notice/used. And most already on display. Barring that, some nice flavors
a negative, yes, but very positive, as that means the flavor was coming from the meats themselves, which is a good thing. when i do cook steaks at home, i'm not a sauce person, i prefer to taste the meat, so usually just garlic powder and seasnoning salt for me, and the steak will have to carry itself.

thought i make that clear, so nobody got the wrong impression. tasty stuff indeed. 8)

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 21, 2008, 9:30 am

Got a new job for LA - "Food Critic" or "Roving Gastronomic Reporter" or maybe "Marketing Associate".

You could visit all the local restaurants and submit your reports on Udonmap's "Gourmet Forum". "I opted for the good old fried rice garnished with Puerto Rican prawns, and my partner decided on the Tibetan braised venison" type stuff.

Oh though wait a minute you pretty much do that already. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 21, 2008, 2:01 pm

Good to see you enjoyed yourself LA.

Also good to know that not everyone shares your taste - but of course if they choose to express that they may be subject to a vitriolic attack.

Of course good judgement, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Some of us have got it, and some haven't :D

carpy

Post by carpy » April 21, 2008, 6:16 pm

Thanks to all who came out Tang Ngee Soon Superstore and sampled some the fine products.We will be their every Sunday for at least the next month.We hope with all the support of the Udon residents that we will just keep increasing the line of products to Udon and Isarn.So next week we will be adding our Tropical Foods line of delicious products to our promotion day.So please spread the word and head out for a while.The more people who come means more quality products that will be available.The supermarket won't give me another fridge until they see the stuff going thru the cash registers.Next fridge will consist of German products ie: salami's,bratwurst etc.Cheers again guys and hope to see you all there Sunday.

PS ,Come hungry and Thirsty.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 21, 2008, 6:28 pm

vitriolic
yikes, wasn't that harsh was it. just trying to be unbias, and let people know of others opinions. a negative out there, so as always, buyer beware. of course, being a forum, these are just my opinions. 8)
Some of us have got it, and some haven't
i can't argue with that.
Good to see you enjoyed yourself LA
yes i did, very much so, thank you for steering me in their direction, and thank you for you concern.

please, continue with you pleasant day. 8)

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 29, 2008, 12:18 am

Big thumbs down from me. We did our shopping and when finished we were ushered to a checkout. There was a large trolley/cart blocking the way and there were pallets behind the checkout but we loaded the stuff on and the girl steered the trolley around behind her. She had to then hand us over our bag and a case of Tiger so we could not pack/receive as normal.

We only got 1 bag but when I asked was there more she said no and seemed to be in a hurry and left hastily. You take this sort of thing for granted don't you... Put items in bag, give bag to customer. I thought no more of it as we didn't get a HUGE amount so we loaded the stuff into the car and as it was raining we piled in and left in a hurry.

Back home we noticed there were things missing. In the region of 400 Baht worth of stuff.

G/f rang but they insisted that we were given all our stuff. Well where is it? 1 box and 1 bag in the trolley. Magic bullet? Well this was the magic bag. Packed and given to us but where is it? Tell you where it is... On the f**individual hooks but the checkout girl had to go home or for an Eartha Kitt and didn't give it to us.

The checkout operator had to go somewhere in a hurry and she missed out on 1 bag. Okay before you all jump on me it was only 400 Baht for a rich fahlang so f**k it just wont go back again.

Verdict: Cheap but staff incompetent.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 29, 2008, 12:52 am

bummer, that sucks. been there about 5 times so far, 3 major affairs, others just picking up few things. all very good, uncluttered checkout, organized and efficient, faster and easier than all others. always off hours, never rush hour or weekends. usually aboutt 5 registers open, 3 empty.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 29, 2008, 11:51 am

yea i agree with la , i think you just got a bad day irish, i use it all the time, its handy for me and much much cheaper than tesco on many lines , sometimes by 40%, and i also like carpys stuff, ( that boy works hard doesnt he) and ive never had any problems ever, i just wish they had air con, especially this time of year.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 29, 2008, 11:55 am

Surprised about your problem Irish Alan. Like LA I have always found both the store and the staff are out to please.I go in every week, normally on a Friday, a busy day. I start by going to the left as you get in the door, troop up and down all the aisles and end up at the furthest on the right, just alongside the fridges for Wholesale Meat company. After that I go to the whiskey counter last. For some reason the staff here have to take your whiskey to the check out themselves, so the young lady puts it in my trolley and pushes all my shopping to the counter. If they are busy she calls another cashier to open up for me, then proceeds to place my stuff on the belt, after wards going to the other end to put it all back in my trolley. If not too busy she even pushes it out to my car for me. Its not that I spend big, very rarely over 3,000bht as I still get my fresh goods shopping in Tesco.I am very impressed with the service.
A suggestion to the management though. Please put some English signs on the aisles. I can read some Thai but my neck aches trying to read it looking up.
For the wholesale meat co. Your T bones are a bit on the thin side and could you put your bacon slicer up a notch or two, otherwise excellent products.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”