Plant killer

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Plant killer

Post by Thai_1_On » April 29, 2008, 11:41 pm

I was out at the "Jungle House" and it seems the jungle wants to reclaim the house. You see I have an empty lot next the property line and I'm trying to keep the jungle out. In the US we had a thing called "Roundup" and it would kill anything quick. So do you know of any kind of product I can get around here. Shame I can't get any "agent orange" to use at the place :shock:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 29, 2008, 11:48 pm

Be careful what you use T1O... Remember poor Jeff Porcaro. (RIP)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 30, 2008, 8:03 am

TIO if you find something like roundup, let me know, ive got the same problem with a piece of land i cleared 6 months ago, stuff sure does grow quick here !!!!!!!

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 30, 2008, 11:51 am

Back in Florida I had a problem with Palmetto trees growing under the fence line. I tried every time from Roundup to God knows what and nothing worked so as a last resort I tried gasoline :shock: and it worked :D Problem is with gas getting so high and the amount of vegetation that needs to be killed gasoline doesn't seem to be the answer.

On the subject of plants I need to burnout an old tree stump. Back in the States I used kerosene to soak the stump and after a week set it on fire. Where can I get kerosene around Udon?

Othello
udonmap.com

Post by Othello » April 30, 2008, 12:17 pm

Kerosene, Jet A1
Try the airport.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 30, 2008, 1:20 pm

I bought some paraquat dichloride from one of those shops in Udon that also sells seeds and fertilizer. I have been spraying it on plants that sprout form the storm drains and on the edges of my driveway. Every plant it touches was dead, dead, dead within 24 hours.

The bottle I have is a concentrate. All of the writing on the bottle except the name "paraquat dichloride" and the ingredients are in Thai. I think that if you write the words "paraquat dichloride" neatly on a piece of paper and show it to some of the shop owners, one should recognize the name.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 30, 2008, 3:55 pm

thanks rick, ill get onto it next week. :D :D :D

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 30, 2008, 4:04 pm

Hey Rick any directions to the shop?

Othello good tip on the fuel but a falang showing up at the airport asking for flammable substances might raise a few eyebrows :shock:

fdimike
udonmap.com

Roundup

Post by fdimike » April 30, 2008, 9:27 pm

What you are looking for is called "TAKEDOWN" here in Thailand. I bought a 1/2 liter bottle at Tool Pro Plus on the ring road. I believe I have also seen it at Home Pro and some downtown seed shops. The active ingredient that you are looking for is Glyphospate. The majority of the label is written in Thai but the name TAKEDOWN is written in english on the front. The bottle I purchased is white in color with a purple , black and pink label manufactured by Siam AG. It is a concentrate which is mixed at a ratio of 1 cup/20 liters H2O. Less water will strengthen the mixture. I have used it successfully on a variety of brush, vines etc. Best to cut them down by hand a bit first and then spray them on a day without the wet stuff coming down.
Let me know if you have difficulty finding and I'll scan the label and send it to you by email.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 30, 2008, 9:51 pm

Thanks FD I'll be out to Tool Pro tomorrow.
Punish the Liver

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » April 30, 2008, 10:13 pm

rickfarang wrote:I bought some paraquat dichloride from one of those shops in Udon that also sells seeds and fertilizer. I have been spraying it on plants that sprout form the storm drains and on the edges of my driveway. Every plant it touches was dead, dead, dead within 24 hours.
Down the drains hey where do they empty too?? the local river that feeds the local rice paddies maybe. Not trying to be a smartarse here but back home one of my neighbours did a similar thing killed all the local frog took them 10 years to recover

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » April 30, 2008, 11:50 pm

theres loads of things you can use , save up gallons of urine from all the neighbours and drench the soil ,that adds lots of ammonia , then theres buckets of salt water on the soil, sodiam chlorate weed killer in bulk , and caustic soda too that will rot the roots. even sulphuric acid will rot the roots .
cheapest option is prolly salt water in bulk

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » April 30, 2008, 11:55 pm

[quote="rickfarang"]I bought some paraquat dichloride from one of those shops in Udon that also sells seeds and fertilizer. I have been spraying it on plants that sprout form the storm drains and on the edges of my driveway. Every plant it touches was dead, dead, dead within 24 hours.

The bottle I have is a concentrate. All of the writing on the bottle except the name "paraquat dichloride" and the ingredients are in Thai. I think that if you write the words "paraquat dichloride" neatly on a piece of paper and show it to some of the shop owners, one should recognize the name.[/quote]

deadly stuff ,even to inhale it .

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 1, 2008, 2:25 am

Yep, its bad stuff. The stuff I bought contains a blue dye to you can tell if a person has ingested any.

I don't spray it into the storm drains directly, just onto the plants. Maybe 1/8 cc every month or two. It doesn't take much! (I won't go into the world wide disappearance of frogs, but many now think that is related to a fungus.)

Some Americans my age might remember when the U.S. government paid South American countries to spray parquat on marijuana fields. The farmers quickly picked their crops before they died, dried them and shipped them up North, where Americans smoked it. Some organizations offered free testing so people would know whether they had bough tainted MJ. It was knows and the big paraquat scare. Nasty stuff. Don't drink it.

0The shop I use is just about in the middle of square J-11 on the map. It is an open air shp at the very corner, opening out onto both streets. It is across the street from one corner from a large open-air market. The corner is the Sangruang Road and an un-named road that crosses it but is marked as part of bus route #5.

Since it is across the street from the large open-air market, there is usually a number of tuk-tuks parked in front of the store. It is across the street from the South-Eastern most corner of the market.

I hope this gets you pretty close :razz:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 1, 2008, 4:27 pm

Thanks Rick it was right where you said it was. Good prices too, I got the plant killer along with a spraying rig 420 baht. Turns out the lady running the shop is a neighbor down the soi so I got a little discount :D She even through in gloves and a mask so I don't die and be a repeat customer.

Looks like I'll wait a few days and see if we are going to get a few days without rain. Then I'll be looking like the weed terminator Image

Othello
udonmap.com

Post by Othello » May 1, 2008, 8:30 pm

Fair comment on the Kerosene and the Airport if you look like a Muslim.
Try some rice whisky on the stump as it has done a fair job of killing off the brother in laws brain cell.
Paraquat ! I still remember the smell !!!!!!!!!!!!
My father sprayed the nettles and doc leafs with it when I was a kid.
Killed everything it touched, dogs, cats and the local wildlife.
If you use it wear gloves ans a mask and wash your hands 3 times.
Happy spraying.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 2, 2008, 4:38 pm

Othello wrote:Try some rice whisky on the stump as it has done a fair job of killing off the brother in laws brain cell.

Hate to waste good er, um, bad, :-k any kind of whiskey on a tree stump ;)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 5, 2008, 2:03 pm

Thai_1_On wrote:Thanks Rick it was right where you said it was. Good prices too, I got the plant killer along with a spraying rig 420 baht. Turns out the lady running the shop is a neighbor down the soi so I got a little discount :D She even through in gloves and a mask so I don't die and be a repeat customer.

Looks like I'll wait a few days and see if we are going to get a few days without rain. Then I'll be looking like the weed terminator Image
You could get yourself a little white van (tuk-tuk), paint "WEEDBUSTERS" on the side, and have yourself a nice little earner!! as Delboy would say. 8)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 5, 2008, 7:16 pm

I'm glad you found the place. And the discount is nice too :)

You don't need a much time between spraying and rain. I sprayed some grass poking up in the driveway at about 08:00 this morning. I just checked (19:15) and its already died back from the tips of the blades. It looks like 12 hours is enough for grass, anyway.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2008, 8:21 pm

If you are looking at relatively small areas to kill off the weeds or unwanted grass, I have found boiling water to be as effective as any chemical product - and of course, a lot cheaper, and far more friendly to the environment.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”