Buying Auto's

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Dakoda
udonmap.com

Buying Auto's

Post by Dakoda » July 13, 2005, 3:13 pm

Anyone with experience buying from car dealers, here in Thailand? I have noticed that you can find the SRP on the net for Thailand autos, but I have not found a way to find the invoice price. Is it possible to pay less than SRP? by how much less? Any info much thanks. :roll:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 13, 2005, 4:18 pm

I started off by buying a couple of the thick Thai car trader type magazines, about 60 baht each and usually in there they have the reccomended retail prices for all makes and models and in my experience the price was just about 100% accurate as to what the dealer was asking.

Secondly most dealers will have a printed sheet (albeit photocopied) with the current prices of each model and that is pretty much what you are going to pay. I found it much easier to get extras thrown in rather than a discount, but some were willing to discount slightly. some also discounted for cash rather than finance - others didn't because they make much more from a finance sale.

Lastly. in that magazine mentioned above I looked up on the internet anyone who had a website advertised (not that many actually) and came across a few dealers who would discount new cars. these tended to be in Bangkok though -although the saving would more than cover your travel expenses. I used to have the sites in my favourites list but deleted them after I bought my car - sorry. There was one particular one I remember who had some very good offers, but I guess you will have to do the legwork yourself - as I did. Another one I remember had the showroom price of each make and model - so it was easy to research prices with just a click of the mouse. cars tended to be discounted more than pick-ups for some reason.

Hope it helps a little.
Paul

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 13, 2005, 7:49 pm

Thanks Paul. Hmm guess I will need to venture out and test the waters.

Seems like there needs to be some discount from SRP.

The strange thing for me is that AIRBAGS & ABS are extra!! (only on a certain model which are thousands more)

From what I am told, "Nong Khai, little money, Udon, big money" But the sheet from both has the same numbers! At the moment just looking! 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 13, 2005, 8:08 pm

yes - airbags and abs are extra and usually the price list will show to this effect. ie. this is the price without and this is the price with ......
They tend to call a fully equiped car "top" here.

If you buy at or around the million mark then usually these will be standard safety features but I don't know what make model you are interested in - so hard to give specific experience from when I was looking last year.

And I certainly wasn't looking anywhere near the million mark - jeeez anyone who pays more for a car than you can buy a house for must be very rich indeed. Accounting for the driving standards here too by the average Thai and I think those who drive mercedes around town are very brave indeed.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 13, 2005, 8:16 pm

was looking at staying around half million, but it seems to be creeping up. Can no longer afford a BMW (except the 2002 I saw in Bangkok, hoping it is still there (and that is not the year)), so am looking for a Honda Jazz! :?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 13, 2005, 8:27 pm

Honda City
When I was looking (last year) - base model was 474,000 baht (they had just reduced prices across the board - tax perk or something from the government)
I almost bought the v-tec city. It was a toss up between that and a pick-up. The pick-up won mainly due to the state of the roads and being seated that bit higher too (and can put crash bars all round for those khamikaze motorbike riders).
At the time (last year) the v-tec (manual) was 560,000 (no abs/airbag)

The toyota vios is priced around the same mark for the base model but the city has an enormous boot and all but the base model have a clever rear seat arrangement which can change to many different configurations to suit odd shaped luggage.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 13, 2005, 8:45 pm

Base for Jazz is now 508, for the Jazz v-tec (as) 685 - (as) has everything!
which is 185 more than I wanted to spend! :(

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 13, 2005, 10:59 pm

Bought a Toyota 4 door pickup for the family a couple of years ago from Nong Bua Lamphu Toyota dealership, price quoted was same in Udon & NBL (I understand the Toyota dealerships in Udon & NBL are owned by the same company / person).

I kept completely out of sight for the negotiations (was actually in UK at the time!), declined the finance deals offered, only noninal discount given but sweeteners from the dealer to get the sale were great deals on the "Thai must have extras", bullbars, wind deflectors, go faster stripes etc. :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 14, 2005, 5:43 am

I can now see them throwing in a spoiler, TG thinks looks sexy, I think right, really need a spoiler on a 1.5 mini van. :roll:

First looked in Nong Khai. Sent TG alone to Honda Udon same price. I always think a two price system, TG does not agree with me, she seems to spend the same at market, with or without me, for the same items each week.

valentine

Post by valentine » July 14, 2005, 7:57 am

Last month I helped pull a body from a smashed Jazz, it was completely flattened with bits of plastic everywhere. I commented at the time." If a bird nonsense on the bonnet, it would dent it. A remark subsequently born out by the safety rating given in UK tests, a big Zero.
Nothing is 100% safe but give yourself a chance of survival, buy a pickup, it shouldn't fit under a bus, the Jazz did, completely.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 14, 2005, 8:40 am

Got the perfect compromise :

Buy a pick-up and put the Jazz in the back of it :)

Everyones happy all round, you and the little lady 8)

Seems the price of the jazz hasn't altered since last year too (and all models have the clever seats on the jazz)

It seems that most accidents here are bumps and scrapes (trust me I have experience lol) and the high speed head on collisions I saw almost daily on my M40 commute in England don't happen here so often coz the roads are so bad you can never pick up enough speed :)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 14, 2005, 9:39 am

valentine, any web link to UK tests?

Jazz is not sold in the states, so no tests there! The most unsafe vehicles are pickups and suv's (same frame as pickups) in the states. They only look safer! By the Jazz folder, it was tested for off center head-on crashes! Guess one of their selling points.

If I had to drive into the back of a stop bus @ 160k would rather be in a BMW Z3 than any pickup or SUV, think I would have a good chance to tell about it.

You are right on, Paul - thats what I was thinking about when I saw the picture in the flier for their off center crash, driving in Udon.

Also, we already have a pickup, can't see any use in having two pickups? :roll:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 14, 2005, 7:04 pm

A BMW Z3 in Thailand !

Never in your wildest dreams

All the nice cars I ever wanted to own/drive went out the window when I came to Thailand. Its not going to happen :(

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 14, 2005, 7:49 pm

Well Paul, I have some good news for you, there is one sitting next to the 2002 at a second hand lot in Bangkok! Oh, the bad news is the price is maybe well over 2 million baht! :cry:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 14, 2005, 8:51 pm

Second Hand car in Thailand - never !
The stories I have heard are the stuff of nightmares.
My wifes relative was involved in an accident last year - his car was a complete write off: and he drove round here a month or so ago to show me his 'good-as-new' car

Whilst it did look good as new - I would worry each and every time I drove it.

I would only buy second hand from someone I knew and they could prove its history.
Car dealers here make Arthur Daley look positively trustworthy

Sorry: for the americans - Arthur Daley was a TV character in a uk series who sold rather dodgy motors - but a loveable rogue nonetheless :)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 15, 2005, 5:12 am

Hmm, I may be Naive, but I would be more worried buying a second hand car/bike in the states. If you get stuck with problems in the states, @ 3,500 baht an hour, you can be bleed dry. Here they can fix about anything cheap!

If the prices is right on the 2002 (80'), and things look in order, I will most likely be driving back from Bangkok!

Ya, I know, like I really need more than one car! :roll:

Old habits die hard! :?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 16, 2005, 7:52 am

3500 baht per hour - Expensive ? man, good job you never broke down in England !

Fortunately the majority of people in UK belong to one of the breakdown organisations and at a cost starting at about 3000 per year, should you break down , they will attend and repair/tow you to a garage or home and you just pay for parts used - labour is free.

As far as I am aware there is nothing like that here in Thailand.
The nice lady who did my insurance though said that if I ever break down I should call her office and they will 'sort me out' - whatever that means :?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 16, 2005, 1:41 pm

I had 24 hour breakdown cover on my last pickup rentel from Steves, so I presume there must be something around.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 16, 2005, 2:25 pm

Was that nationwide ? or just an agreement he has between him and a local garage ?

Can u remember who it was with (name) if not I will ask Steve - but that means going into a bar again, and I am sat nursing another hangover currently and never even want to see another beer for well, at least 24 hours lol :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 16, 2005, 2:47 pm

as far as i know it was nationwide, but not 100% sure so you may well have to go get a hair of the dog to find out some more info ;), remember it is the best cure for a sore head... :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”