charoen hotel

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
macduff
udonmap.com

Re: charoen hotel

Post by macduff » October 31, 2009, 4:58 pm

I was looking at this hotel for a three /four night stay with my family but after reading that i dont think i'll bother :-k

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 31, 2009, 7:12 pm

I have not stopped there macduff, but I am told that it is in two parts - the older is pretty much as described - the newer is said to be much better.... If with family the President is worth a look. Bit farther out of town but new with nice pool & easy to get in & out of town except for LATE at night & then still possible, just a bit more expensive...Otherwise, if you want to be in centre Irish Clock is about the best quality/value (850 a night) you will find.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » October 31, 2009, 7:34 pm

I've been looking on the Irish clock website and i must say i'm impressed with the rooms and the locations perfect but,with a 2 year old i'm concerned about noise levels even though they do have back rooms away from other bars.I'm also looking at Englishmans Retreat as a family alternative and the fact that it's located away from any noise and has a pool :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 31, 2009, 7:45 pm

The Clock is NOT that noisy - even if you are on the front. The bars that were opposite (Meeting Point??) are now closed. NICE place to stay, but not many rooms is the only problem. Staff would spoil a 2 year old rotten, but that is true of most hotels in Udon... :D
Englishman's Retreat is also good - & does have the pool. I would not entertain staying that far out of town without hiring a car though!! I believe that is essential so does add to the cost, but also gives greater flexibility in what you do...

Dublin Tony
udonmap.com

Post by Dublin Tony » November 1, 2009, 1:33 pm

The Charoen newer wing aint that bad.Rooms there are 900 baht and the older wing 800 baht.Dont know why homer was charged 1100 baht.That should be the price for full board !!
Its got a pool and walkable to the centre.
Centara is in an even better position next to the mall.Dont know the current rates but wouldnt pay over 1200 baht with breakfast.It was a nice hotel 15 years ago but tired now.
Irish Clock probably about the best,if you can get in.
President,a modern hotel with pool.A good option but youll need a saamlaw every time you visit town and back.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2009, 6:33 pm

The bars that were opposite (Meeting Point??) are now closed.

NO they are NOT, they are open and working as well, just a point or order as it were. ......... :|

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » November 2, 2009, 12:53 am

Dublin Tony wrote:The Charoen newer wing aint that bad.Rooms there are 900 baht and the older wing 800 baht.Dont know why homer was charged 1100 baht.That should be the price for full board !!
Centara is in an even better position next to the mall.Dont know the current rates but wouldnt pay over 1200 baht with breakfast.It was a nice hotel 15 years ago but tired now.
President,a modern hotel with pool.A good option but youll need a saamlaw every time you visit town and back.
Isn't it the case that the Centara (formerly known Charoensri Grand) is now the name of the hotel that forms an integral part of the Charoensri Complex, consequently, they areboth in the same location because they are one and the same. Your post describes two different places which seems confusing IMO. Care to share where the location of the two places that you describe are to clarify :| ?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 2, 2009, 1:12 am

Your post describes two different places which seems confusing
they are two different hotels, one located at the complex, the other, if going away from complex on your right, pass bus station to prosi rd, turn left, and 1st major driveway, is the chareon hotel.

i'll agree they are both tired, overpriced, and IMHO, poor values. centara, if you must have a pool and be centrally located. personally, i would spend the extra money and rent a motorbike and if pool was necessary, stay at nakhaburi resort, bit out of town, 15km, or presidents, if too lazy to walk, though pool small, but under utilized, fine for cooling off, but no laps. both quiet locations to relax at. 8)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » November 2, 2009, 1:26 am

Confusion over. Thanks.

Yep, both places have seen better days but I can't remember when, they have always seemed be rather drab and dull, mutton dressed up with lamb I guess.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » November 2, 2009, 4:02 pm

It seems the better option for us as a family is to venture out from the main centre as there are a lot of mixed opinions on the hotels in udon,plus the fact having a young family would be better to stay away from the noise and use a taxi in or out if we fancy some action or late nights :D

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 2, 2009, 4:12 pm

Englishmans Retreat is a good option. Has the best Full English breakfast in Udon IMHO, plus very good menu of other farang/thai food. Pool is not too deep for littluns. The owner Glyn also has young kids, so company for yours. I'm sure Glyn can supply telephone number for reliable tuk tuk driver to get you into town. Send them an e-mail and ask questions.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » November 2, 2009, 4:46 pm

The Englishman's retreat is very high on my list and I'll definitely be giving them a call .I've been on there website and it seems ideal for our requirements :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 2, 2009, 4:57 pm

macduff

dont forget there is now a dedicated meter taxi service in Udon, and that may also assist with your choice of location.

The locations previously just out of walking distance of the city centre are now just a call away for a new air con taxi.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 2, 2009, 5:01 pm

stay away from the noise and use a taxi in or out if we fancy some action or late nights
presidents hotel sounds like it will fit the bill, still close to town, but quiet. very nice buffet next door, down the street for little farang/thai, sit down, more comfy place, KInnaree, all walking distance. if flying in, get some phone numbers from metered taxis around town, as baht buses (10 BAHT)are available during the day. one should do it, then everything is in walking distance. i'm a fan of staying inside the ring road, unless having you owe transport, since renting a car will cost as much or more than hotel. much closer to shopping, night market, but still far enough away for peace and quiet, yet, not isolated. but definitely get some taxi driver numbers, now sure where they are allowed to hang out, but great for avoiding the tuk tuk mafia at night, if out and about. their are so many options close to everything, just depends on personal choice.......enjoy.

Dublin Tony
udonmap.com

Post by Dublin Tony » November 3, 2009, 3:29 pm

Astana wrote:
Dublin Tony wrote:The Charoen newer wing aint that bad.Rooms there are 900 baht and the older wing 800 baht.Dont know why homer was charged 1100 baht.That should be the price for full board !!
Isn't it the case that the Centara (formerly known Charoensri Grand) is now the name of the hotel that forms an integral part of the Charoensri Complex, consequently, they areboth in the same location because they are one and the same. Your post describes two different places which seems confusing IMO. Care to share where the location of the two places that you describe are to clarify :| ?
Astana,
Sorry if my Irish post confused you and thank you to laphanphon for backing my post up.
I mentioned BOTH the Charoen and Centara in my post so thats why I describe two different places.
I see it was after midnight after you made your post so maybe you were a little tanked up ! :-"
If not,I think theres little hope for you ! ;)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » November 3, 2009, 4:45 pm

Astana,
Sorry if my Irish post confused you and thank you to laphanphon for backing my post up.
I mentioned BOTH the Charoen and Centara in my post so thats why I describe two different places.
I see it was after midnight after you made your post so maybe you were a little tanked up ! :-"
If not,I think theres little hope for you ! ;)[/quote]

Don't drink, so it must have been your your dazzling literary wit that led to the confusion. :lol:

farlong68
udonmap.com

charoen hotel/aek apts email adresses

Post by farlong68 » August 19, 2013, 10:21 pm

if anyone has current e mail addresses for chareon hotel or aek apts pls share them with me will be staying in udorn for a month or longer... know in past lifetime chareon had service apts 5 or 6th floor and trying to explain to desk clerks is show and tell thanks in advance for your help john

parrot
udonmap.com

charoen hotel

Post by parrot » August 19, 2013, 10:54 pm

Got this off of [email protected]

rickfarang
udonmap.com

charoen hotel

Post by rickfarang » August 20, 2013, 12:33 am

Having stayed at the Charoen, a few times before moving to Udon, I would caution you to ask for a room on the other side of the hotel from Yellow Bird Disco, that is if you plan to get to sleep before 02:00.

farlong68
udonmap.com

charoen hotel

Post by farlong68 » August 20, 2013, 2:36 am

thanks rick and parrott I know about the disco I will be 3 or four stories up pool side parrot that e mail doesn't work I have two old ones neither work I guess its time to bring in the tw and we will have a threesome with the clerk trying to get this worked out thanks guys john

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”