Average rent in Udon

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Average rent in Udon

Post by tingtongfalang » May 6, 2008, 2:13 am

Does anybody know how much rent the average Thai pays or how much the average Thai pays for buying a house? I look at FBI and see 5000THB-12000THB rents. Is that falang price? Is that the same for Thai's? Can I rent at the Thai price? It seems a little steep when I think the average wage is 3000THB-5000THB per month.

I ask just from curiosity. I don't want to start a big debate. If anybody knows for sure, I'd like to hear from them because when I move to LOS I would prefer to live in a average Thai apartment or house in a average Thai neighborhood with average Thai neighbors. I don't want to be in a falang house or falang area. No offense intended. I want to learn the Thai ways and language and teach english if they want to learn.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » May 6, 2008, 2:35 am

Buying a House:

My sister-in-law bought a repossessed two bedroom bungalow from the bank at 500000 Baht. It's on an estate in a village/suburb on the Sakhorn Nakhorn road 5 Km (max) past the Big C.

Renting a House:

My outlaws say that 5000 - 12000 Baht to rent is about right for Thais aswell.

The wife's niece has just finished Uni. She reckons that students will pay around 4000 Baht a month for a room.

Hope this helps.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » May 6, 2008, 7:08 am

I dont understand why people are paying these prices.I guess you pay for what you get.
I live at Ban kham not far Big C.My funds are bit on the low side so I cant rent a top of the range property.But I rent my bungelow for 3,300 baht a month.If I haggled could have got It for 3,000 baht.Its only 3 years old.No aircon,2 bedrooms,kitchen.living room,one bathroom.small garden front and back.Just 2 minuted from main road.
Ther are other bungelows here similar bigger and with air con.not more than 6,000 baht.
Buy house? forget it! or lose it!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 6, 2008, 7:21 am

that's about right. for 5000, you want, must have, water storage tank w/pump, or one story up for gravity, even better, and at least one ac. proper hot water shower. 5000 seems to be start for this. which is what i pay, also at ban kham, hey neighbor. 1 bdrom, 2 closets (bdrm), lg kitchen, and decent living area, private parking and outhouse, optional to one inside house, good for laundry room. yard uselss, as dirt/rock patch, needs soft dirt. small balcony for morning coffee. have priced couple areas, and 5000-7000 for basics, the rest is up to you.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 6, 2008, 10:00 am

Noticed just the other day on the chalkboard at Nobi's a house for rent Bht3000 per month, no other info, oh sorry 2 bed. Talking to one of my friends employees who lives with her Fireman Boyfriend and she pays Bht1500 per month for a fan room. I guess you have to talk to a cross section of People to get a good picture of the true cost :D

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 6, 2008, 3:33 pm

I'm renting a three bedroom, two bath townhouse in the development across from Home Pro, 4000 baht a month. Run at least 1 aircon 24/7 and a rice cooker most of the time so utilities (including ADSL) run another 3200 baht. I installed 2 aircons, two water heaters in the baths, and a car port (roughly 50,000 baht total) to bring the place up to my comfort level. In Hawaii where I retired from a like situation would cost me more than 80,000 baht a month;o)

swami
udonmap.com

Thais

Post by swami » May 6, 2008, 5:19 pm

It may sound nice to want to live in a Thai neighborhood with Thais, but many ex-pats have not found this to be comfortable. Thais simply do not have the regard for their neighbors that Farang have. The culture is totally different. Thais, generallly speaking, have little regard for the interests of anyone but themselves.

Thais take no responsibility for their dogs which are allowed to run free, to bark at will all night, and to attack as well. It is customary for Thais to rent the biggest sound speakers that can be found when they have a party and to turn the volume as high as possible until whatever time in the early AM that they decide to turn it off. Usually the sound will start the day before the party as well. When Thais listen to their music or TV, you may hear it at full volume as well.

Expect to have an endless string of loud motorcycles going by your house at all times of the day and night. Add to that the procession of vendors from trucks who will go up and down the street either with a loud speaker or blowing the horn or just shouting from the cab of the truck. I would also like to add that Thai children are seldom, if ever, disciplined and there is no predicting what problems may occur with them.

You may find you have problems with garbage, parking, and most probably having your house robbed unless you have someone there 24/7. And, you will have little or absolutely no recourse. In any case, good luck. love, swami

jingjai
udonmap.com

Re: Thais

Post by jingjai » May 6, 2008, 5:38 pm

swami wrote:It may sound nice to want to live in a Thai neighborhood with Thais, but many ex-pats have not found this to be comfortable. Thais simply do not have the regard for their neighbors that Farang have. The culture is totally different. Thais, generallly speaking, have little regard for the interests of anyone but themselves.

Thais take no responsibility for their dogs which are allowed to run free, to bark at will all night, and to attack as well. It is customary for Thais to rent the biggest sound speakers that can be found when they have a party and to turn the volume as high as possible until whatever time in the early AM that they decide to turn it off. Usually the sound will start the day before the party as well. When Thais listen to their music or TV, you may hear it at full volume as well.

Expect to have an endless string of loud motorcycles going by your house at all times of the day and night. Add to that the procession of vendors from trucks who will go up and down the street either with a loud speaker or blowing the horn or just shouting from the cab of the truck. I would also like to add that Thai children are seldom, if ever, disciplined and there is no predicting what problems may occur with them.

You may find you have problems with garbage, parking, and most probably having your house robbed unless you have someone there 24/7. And, you will have little or absolutely no recourse. In any case, good luck. love, swami
=D> =D> =D> swami!
Cannot add anything to that and could not have said it any better.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » May 6, 2008, 5:49 pm

Gee Swami, you must LOVE it over here in LOS. :shock:

I live within the ring-road, in a Thai neighborhood - I'm the ONLY farang on my street and I've never see other farangs in the neighborhood. I'm treated well and in fact (I'm embarrassed to say) I've even 'borrowed' money from a neighbor when we were fixing up the house prior to moving in. :oops: Everyone speaks Thai (except me) and although there are a couple of dogs up the street, they don't really bark without reason and they don't bark at me or me on my m/c when I come home after dark. House (actually a townhouse which I've raised to American standards) cost us 3000 / month payments plus the utilities. We have 3 bdrms and 3 baths with over 250 sq. meters of floor space. I guess this goes a long way towards keeping that smile on my face.
8)
Stay atop the grass

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 6, 2008, 6:08 pm

Wow! 250 sq. meters, that's 2,675 sq. ft. that is one huge place. Utilities?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 6, 2008, 6:35 pm

jingjai wrote:
swami wrote:It may sound nice to want to live in a Thai neighborhood with Thais, but many ex-pats have not found this to be comfortable. Thais simply do not have the regard for their neighbors that Farang have. The culture is totally different. Thais, generallly speaking, have little regard for the interests of anyone but themselves.

=D> =D> =D> swami!
Cannot add anything to that and could not have said it any better.
Generally speaking ,you are right swami!It is important to know these factors when you are deciding where to live and how you want to live.

I always feel sympathy for those that build in that environment,especially if their wife is not from the area!At least you can move from your mistakes if you rent :lol:

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » May 6, 2008, 7:59 pm

Cheapest Thai style house I've ever seen in Udon was ฿2000/mnth. 2 storey 1/2 Concrete and 1/2 wood, 2 bed, 1 WC and outside kitchen, set on about 150 talangwah...No A/C or any Farang style comforts .... you get what you pay for....From what I know :? you can get a sensible 2 bed, terraced house with off road parking, 1 bathroom and internal kitchen within 6km of city @ ฿3000/mnth unfurnished......Best have a drive around and see what's up for grabs....I know several people who have grabbed long-time rental bargains 8)
I "Bit the Bullet" last year and bought .... but in 1 year its value has gone up by ฿400000 :D :D
But remember.....If you buy..(to quote an old English saying adapted for the LOS )
An Englishmans home is his...THAI WIFES..Castle :( :lol: :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » May 6, 2008, 8:06 pm

Swami! Brilliant glad you have the bottle to speak up!
I am woken up every morning 5 am.neighbours shouting at each other.Do they think everyones deaf?Then we get the recycle merchants rummaging the the dutbins.This sets the dogs off.Then we get the street hawkers with their loudspeakers on full volume(6.00 am sometimes)!Then there is the monk chanting.Not content with that,singsong before and after! GREAT! LING-ALONG-wake everyone up time!
Thai people dont mind this.Its drummed into them for so long they dont know any different.Us farangs just aint the same.I think It is so selfish and impolite.
Ok, It is their country.But all I know is If I upset my neighbour,I would give them respect.These people dont give a s...!Just laugh at you"my ben rai"HE HE
Not much you can do about this noise pollution.Apart from living in farmland away from nearby houses and Temples.
es Thailand great place to live. This is my one and only problem I have.
SILENCE IS GOLDEN!

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » May 6, 2008, 8:25 pm

My place is very close to Nong Prajak Park in a very nice, quiet area.
Its was recently built when I moved in so has tiled floors throughout the ground floor and mossie mesh on all windows and doors (very important, for me any way)
Upstairs has two bedrooms but as the top half is the typical wooden construction it gets mighty hot up there.
Ground floor has Living room, small office/third bedroom, kitchen and wet room.
No A/C, no garden, installed hot water shower myself.
3,500 per month plus utilities.
Pretty good I think as its so close to town centre but far away as not to get any of the noise.
Free the Doug 1

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 6, 2008, 11:01 pm

mortiboy: My funds are bit on the low side so I cant rent a top of the range property.

Mine too.

mortiboy:No aircon

:shock:

laphanphon:you want, must have, water storage tank w/pump, or one story up for gravity, even better, and at least one ac. proper hot water shower.at ban kham

I will keep that in mind.

Aardvark:I guess you have to talk to a cross section of People to get a good picture of the true cost.

That's the idea.

swami and jingjai thanks for the visual.

Pakawala what area do you live in? It sounds good.

Thanks Jetdoc.

BKKSTAN:I always feel sympathy for those that build in that environment,especially if their wife is not from the area!At least you can move from your mistakes if you rent.

I agree. thanks Stan

Good luck Panick. thanks

Thanks Mortiboy. You should move near Roy or Pakawala and keep riding the bike.

Thanks Roy and everybody. Good info.

Roadman
udonmap.com

Post by Roadman » May 7, 2008, 1:59 am

When we are there we live in my wifes family home in a Thai neighbourhood. Roy's description is also what we have in the same hood. That would be the price I would rent for what we have. I would live in this damn well and semi permanently would live well with a few additions - aircon, cable TV and broadband internet, and one building removed and landscaped, and better ablutions.

With more of our family currently here in NZ working and studying and empty space at the Udon home, my wife just rented a thing fitted into the corner of the section that I have been in once and told she who sometimes rules that the next time is with a 12 ton excavator. That (2 bedroom cupboards upstairs the rest downstairs with the frogs and the odd rat) has been rented for ฿1200 per month to a working couple (a teacher and a mechanic) with 2 school attending children. The parents earn very good money but costs also include sending two early teen children to the best schools. The children sort of live in the main house anyway as that is where the TV, heavy roof fans and other kids are.

I am the only visible farang I see in the soi's around me. By visible I mean there is an old German (?) guy who only leaves the house in his car and then rarely. But I get out and about and that includes crossing paths with the neighbors yes, OK sometimes with a bit of anger and resentment but also a lot of the time with a genuine smile. When I first stayed here (in the thai hood) man, it drove me flippen nuts with the speakers, the dogs, the neighbour next door but I only had to tolerate it in doses. Last couple of trips that has changed. I now enjoy it and the thai's who now recognise me seem more accepting. Apart from the rooster next door who does not know 3am apart from 3pm. But seen a beautiful Zhanghai in Huahin that can hit a coke tin with a marble at 30 meters...and I have a clear shot from the house second floor balconey. Karma will be on the side of one of us as it always is in LoS.
"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll"
LZ (Page/Plant)

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 7, 2008, 3:13 am

=D> =D> Spot on. Everything spot on.
I second that, exactly my experience living in a shop house in the city.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 7, 2008, 5:53 am

Pakawala wrote:Gee Swami, you must LOVE it over here in LOS. :shock:

I live within the ring-road, in a Thai neighborhood - I'm the ONLY farang on my street and I've never see other farangs in the neighborhood. I'm treated well and in fact (I'm embarrassed to say) I've even 'borrowed' money from a neighbor when we were fixing up the house prior to moving in. :oops: Everyone speaks Thai (except me) and although there are a couple of dogs up the street, they don't really bark without reason and they don't bark at me or me on my m/c when I come home after dark. House (actually a townhouse which I've raised to American standards) cost us 3000 / month payments plus the utilities. We have 3 bdrms and 3 baths with over 250 sq. meters of floor space. I guess this goes a long way towards keeping that smile on my face.
8)
Pakawala, sounds like you have the world by the tail. I should be so fortunate soon!

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 7, 2008, 9:54 am

Prenders88 wrote:

=D> =D> Spot on. Everything spot on.
I second that, exactly my experience living in a shop house in the city.
If I lived there with your avatar I might not mind it. Go ahead, rob the house I'm busy. :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”