cycle Ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Re: cycle Ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani

Post by lepidoptra » November 8, 2008, 7:34 pm

Maybe you can sell me your stableizers,have fun :D

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 9, 2008, 1:21 pm

Hi Sean,

Not started out yet,I will be hitting the road on the 17th of this month (hopefully not literaly) and there is now a change to the plan. It looks like I am going to have to start from Phidget so I should reach Udon on the 21st :guiness: :drunk: . I'll then have a rest for a couple of days before heading up to Nong Khai. I will then follow the Mekong road down to Mukdahan and then cut inland and head on to khorat. I'm not quite sure how far the ride is but I'll allow three weeks for it which should be plenty of time.

As for the original plan to ride from Chiang Mai, it hinged on my delusion that my wife would have ability to drive herself down to Phidget from Chiang Mai 8-[ . But I just can't bring myself to trust her to drive over those mountain roads without her getting into some sort of trouble. At least from Phidget to Khorat she will have another driver to help her [-o< [-o< and the roads are pretty quiet anyway.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 9, 2008, 1:25 pm

I've got some stableizers in the store :D :D :D

eastbaybob

Post by eastbaybob » November 16, 2008, 9:46 am

Cyclist,

Mike and I did our ride from Udon Thani to Bangkok, it turned out a bit different, if interested you can check out my version of it here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =4358&v=CJ

Just a couple of things, the 212 along the Mekhong on the section we rode, Tha U-Then to Khemmerat you don't see the river that often. There were some times I was able to get a smaller road or path along the river for a while but not for extended times. From That Phenom to Mukdahan there is a nice alt route on a very pleasant smaller road. The 226 and 24 sucked for riding a bike down, nice roads and all but lots of traffic, and not really pleasant. If you have the time I think it wold be worth it to ride the area between the 24 and the Cambodian border. Its very pretty down there with bits of variation, plants and elevation, as opposed to the pleasant flat rice fields north of that. What ever you do you'll have a great trip.

Bob

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 16, 2008, 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info Bob, I'll look out for the roads along the river. I set out tomorrow and should be in Udon on the 21st. I'll mail you when I arrive.

Looks like you had a good ride anyway. :D :D :D

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » November 16, 2008, 9:40 pm

have a good and safe journey Bro, see you on the 21st, (still say you must be nuts) :D :D :D :D

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » November 16, 2008, 9:45 pm

he takes after his brother!!!! :D :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 16, 2008, 9:49 pm

Have a safe ride Barrie.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

carlo bacalla

Post by carlo bacalla » November 2, 2013, 11:05 am

Hello! Please, help me connect to Barrie. Sometime in November 2008 he planned to do a bike ride from ChiangMai to Udon Thani. I want to do the reverse from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai this December. I want to hear from him regarding his bike ride. I did Vientiane - Hua Hin in March this year in 4 days. Udon Thani to Chiang Mai is shorter in distance but I think the elevation is high. I want to get some help on low cost hotel accommodation and stopovers, and tips on route difficulties, like elevation, road hazard, etc... THANKS!

carlo bacalla

Post by carlo bacalla » November 2, 2013, 11:22 am

HELLO! I want to get connected to Barrie. How was your bike ride from Chaiang Mai to Udon Thani in November 2008? I want to get some tips from you. I plan to do the reverse from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai this coming december. In March this year I did Vientiane to Hua Hin in 4 days. I know that the distance between Udon to Chiang Mai is shorter but the elevation is very high. I need some tips regarding accommodation and hazard/danger zones along the route. Thanks!

Return to “Travel & Transport”