cycle Ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
cyclist
udonmap.com

cycle Ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani

Post by cyclist » September 23, 2008, 9:19 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to Cycle from Chiang Mai to Udon in November which should take me seven or eight days. I know all the hotels/resorts up to Phitsanulok but from there on I'm stuck. So can anyone tell me of any resorts/hotels in the Lom Sak area,Chum Phae area and Nong Bua Lhampu.I'm not to worried about the comfort levels of the places as I will only be staying one night in each area. So anything will do.

Ta very much,

Barrie

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: cycle Ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani

Post by beer monkey » September 23, 2008, 9:34 pm

stayed in the Lomsak Nattirat "Grand" Hotel years back, had a pool too, a decent place can't remember price but would of been around 700+ baht i think,was some years back so could be upto 1k, car park out front and around 5-6 floors, all mod cons,(well it is called the grand) not much choice i do recall but sure they would have the real old standard 'hotels' that most towns have,also easy to find on main road and stands out, would reccomend for a couple of nights, nice area too Lomsak/petchaboon, good crispy duck at a small resturant at the highway interchange cross roads(behind police box)...
Last edited by beer monkey on September 23, 2008, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 10:30 pm

Chum Phae has a large hotel in the main street, cant remember its name sorry,

But not much else, u could always find a short time room and overstay if if the hotel is booked out.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » September 23, 2008, 10:37 pm

Wazza,

Excuse my ignorance,but whats a short time room?

:? :? :?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 23, 2008, 10:44 pm

Ermmm cough...its a room one would rent by the 'hour' or 3-4..for natural activities between 2 or more people...

sounds like a nice ride...but you would have to be a very keen cyclist to do it, good luck and post a few photos Thanks.
Last edited by beer monkey on September 23, 2008, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 10:48 pm

Barry,

sent u a PM on this , similar to BM's reply.

BM appears rather vague on this matter

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » September 23, 2008, 10:55 pm

So, I think I will have to buy myself a tandem or will the establishment supply me with a bike to ride in the room for a short time?

:lol: :lol: ;) ;)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 23, 2008, 10:57 pm

How many doing this trip..?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

bugseda
udonmap.com

Post by bugseda » September 23, 2008, 11:01 pm

This may not be much help, but assuming you will be coming from Lompac on Hwy 12, as you get into the main drag of Chum Phae there will be several banks on the left side of the road about a mile north of Hwy 201.

Specifically, next to or very close to the Bangkok Bank Branch there is a nice hotel (five stories) 500 baht a night 2 years ago. There is a 7-11 across the main street (Hwy 12) from this hotel and the BKK bank.

Sorry but I do not remember the name and I believe the sign board is in Thai, but you can see it is a hotel. It was clean and very comfortable when I stayed there.

If you have lots of energy left after your ride in from Lompac and want to save 250 baht, you can take the small soi next to Bangkok Bank (going east) and after about 1 click you take a left into a small soi and 10 meters in there is a motel with A/C for 250 baht a night. Very nice people run it and very clean but has seen better days.

Lots of Thai food places around the main drag area but I don't recall any Farang food places in Chum Phae.

Not sure if the 2 Sugar companies in Chum Phae will be operating in November, but if they are, the one on Hwy 201 (about 7 clicks south of Hwy 12) is worth taking a look at.

You can't miss the place just follow the sugar cane trucks. Lots of Thai food places just inside the where the trucks que up to unload their sugar cane. I don't believe they have tours but it is still interesting to watch the operation from the weight station where all the food stalls are. It is a 24 hour 7 days a week operation when it is the sugar season in Thailand.

Welcome to Udon when you arrive and be careful.

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » September 23, 2008, 11:04 pm

cyclist wrote:Wazza,

Excuse my ignorance,but whats a short time room?

:? :? :?
Barrie, when you find out, e-mail me, I don't know what a short time room is either :^o :^o :D :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 11:08 pm

Barry

u just need to be sure that the bi cycle they might supply with ur room is exactly what u want, pays to check first and make sure that puncture kit with ur cycle is onstandby for the 2nd ride of the day.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 11:10 pm

Ralph

get back to bed and nurse that leg instead of throwing it !!

Nurse he is breaking the rools of his probation......

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » September 23, 2008, 11:20 pm

Thats great, two out of three hotels sorted, just need somewhere in Nong Bua Lamphu, but if push comes to peddle I think I can make it from Chum Phea to Udon in one hit.

:D :D :D

Ralph, don't forget I know practically all the women in your life and they have all told me the same story. You and they all know what a short time is about.

;) ;)

Oh, and when I get there you'r buying the beer, They would't refund my bus ticket. :guiness: :guiness:

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » September 23, 2008, 11:25 pm

Wazza'

I always carry a few rubbers just to be on the safe side and I'm very good with a pump.

:D :D :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 11:35 pm

LOL

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 11:37 pm

Nong B P, has a quite a few hotels , so nP there, and ur puncture kits are available at 7-11 24/7

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » September 23, 2008, 11:39 pm

Thats right Wassa, Barrie is very good with a pump, he needs a pneumatic splint, to keep it up :D :D :D

(probably only you & I know what that means Wassa)

Barrie, the beers no problem, with all these cheap charlies down here, I'm used to buying the beer! ;) ;) ;)

JUST A FOOTNOTE,

Barrie is an experienced long distance cyclist, he actually cycled almost all the way from PORTSMOUTH (uk) TO CHANG MAI, (mad impetuous fool) :D :D :D :D
Last edited by RALPHCUSENS on September 23, 2008, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2008, 11:49 pm

yes Pfizer have developed a new spint for these old cyclists, beware of the Indian copies, as these can tend to cause blowouts, and at the speeds were are taling about here thats deadly !!

The problem also with the Pfizer Splint, Called " The V splint " is that it does have a tendency to develop a fast leak and ultimately this leads to a completely deflated splint before the cyclists last ride for the night has been completed.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 24, 2008, 4:35 am

.nong bua-lamphu hotels/rooms

Kinnaree Resort
Address : 274 Nong Bua Lam Phu - Udonthani Road, Amphoe Mueang, Nong Bua Lam Phu
Room : 19
Price : 500 - 500 Bath
Telephone : 0 4236 0091

---------------------------------------

Hotel Name : Nattapong Grand
Address : 339 Tambon Lam Phu, Amphoe Mueang, Nong Bua Lam Phu
Room : 59
Price : 400 - 1000 Bath
Telephone : 0 4236 1199
Fax : 0 4236 1188

---------------------------------------

Hotel Name : Wang Indra
Address : 69/2 Mu 14 Nong Bua Lam Phu - Nonsung Road, Tambon Nong Bua, Nong Bua Lam Phu
Room : 20
Price : 300 - 400 Bath
Telephone : 0 4236 1014,08 9577 1240

-------------------------------------

Hotel Name : V.I.P. Inn
Address : Baan Wang Muean, Nong Bua Lam Phu - Sri Bun Rueng Road, Nong Bua Lam Phu
Room : 30
Price : 240 - 1200 Bath
Telephone : 0 4236 1122

------------------------------------

All accept lone cyclists...and no extra charge for taking your bike in the room with you. :mrgreen:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 24, 2008, 6:08 am

cycled from portsmouth to chang mai, wow im really impressed , thats some achievment . did he take norman tebbits advice literaly and forget to stop , or was it a planned trip ? :D :D :D . no seriously credit where its due , i take my hat of to you barry . you got a lot more balls than me , probably a lot sorrer too !!!!. i hope you have a good trip down to udon , in november right ? and ralph its nice to see your getting back to your old self . :D :D :D

Return to “Travel & Transport”