motorcycle theft

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
old-timer
udonmap.com

motorcycle theft

Post by old-timer » January 13, 2009, 6:51 pm

We had our motorbike nicked from the motorbike park under the complex today - please be careful everyone.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: motorcycle theft

Post by beer monkey » January 13, 2009, 8:40 pm

A bummer...
What sort of locking device did it have..?
Describe the bike, and number....a long shot but you never know.

fussychunk
udonmap.com

Post by fussychunk » January 13, 2009, 9:00 pm

Where is the best place to get a motorbike alarm fitted in Udon?...also what cost is it?

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » January 13, 2009, 10:06 pm

When I bought my bike a couple of years ago ,theft insurance was offered me, full replacement,1000 bhat for the year .Looked official enough. Never had to use it ,but never worried either. Sorry about your bike being nicked. I sometimes accidently leave my keys in.Also ,never had a problem. Do you think you were targeted , or is yours a special model ? just curious? 500 bikes and yours is gone ?

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » January 13, 2009, 10:34 pm

And I have to wonder, was it parked inside the "secure" parking area where you have to give the guy a chit in order to take you bike out?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 13, 2009, 10:35 pm

Yes more details please old-timer.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » January 14, 2009, 7:39 am

I'm surprised at this.

I've never had any problems with my motorbike being tampered with while parked inside or outside the Complex or anywhere else in Udon, for that matter.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » January 14, 2009, 8:48 am

Is there some type of ''locater device''that can be placed in or on vehicles in a case of theft?And if there is,is the cost prohibitive?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 14, 2009, 9:16 am

sounds a bit suspicious if nicked from secure area, as having to be wheeled out, unless you forgot key, as i have done on occasion. in never park under complex, just as it seems a hassle, and tight spaces for cars.

bummer on getting MB nicked. must be time to upgrade. i don't have, should get, lock for wheel, at least then they have to carry it, which would definitely make it an inside job. but i'm afraid i'll forget the lock is on and break damn disc if i drive off without unlocking.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 14, 2009, 9:30 am

laphanphon wrote:sounds a bit suspicious if nicked from secure area, as having to be wheeled out, unless you forgot key, as i have done on occasion. in never park under complex, just as it seems a hassle, and tight spaces for cars.

bummer on getting MB nicked. must be time to upgrade. i don't have, should get, lock for wheel, at least then they have to carry it, which would definitely make it an inside job. but i'm afraid i'll forget the lock is on and break damn disc if i drive off without unlocking.
Attach a red flag thingy like they do on parked aircraft :D

I agree with not parking in the car park, PITA when your MB ends up 3 deep in MB and then trying to figure a way out.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 14, 2009, 9:39 am

Attach a red flag

hmm, might work. i occasionally will place my keys in a strange place, so when i leave the house, i don't forget something, but when i find the keys, all it reminds me is, that i'm supposed to remember something, which, half the time i forgot what it was. :oops:

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » January 14, 2009, 11:35 am

the motorbike stolen was just an ordinary silver honda wave on udon plates with the number 717. the steering lock was on at the time.
it was parked in what is supposed to be the secure area in the underground car park of the complex, and you are given a chit on entrance. the old bill said it was quite common.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » January 14, 2009, 3:16 pm

Old-timer,

I would have thought that the operator of the parking area would be responsible. Did you happen to ask them about this? I agree with LA, seems the guy at the exit would have noticed.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » January 14, 2009, 5:31 pm

I've parked in that "secure" parking area under the complex (what pain in the butt) and I've never been given a chit on entering or leaving. Because of the large number of bikes there, I usually park outside the secure area - my bike's too big and I always have a hard time getting it out. I'd tell you where I normally park but then everyone would start parking there and there wouldn't be any room for me next time. 8-[ 8-[

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » January 14, 2009, 5:46 pm

while down in Jomtien some one tried to steal the mirrors off my bike in care four / home pro parking area I think they got scared off because they were still on but loose almost off the bike when I went to ride it out what I use to do at the N/M is chain the bike to a rail this way they need to cut the chain or steal the rail with the bike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » January 14, 2009, 6:43 pm

aznron got it right, a big chain and decent padlock should do the trick - that's what i'll be doing when i buy another bike

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 14, 2009, 8:06 pm

It would be interesting to know whether such thefts involve pre-owned m/bikes where perhaps the previous owner still has a key, or whether the thief overcomes the steering lock, or whether they are lifted into a pickup. If the latter, a padlock and chain wouldn't really help, other than perhaps as a deterrent.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 14, 2009, 9:30 pm

If someone really wants it they will take it, a padlock and chain is ok as long as its chained to something solid and not just round the wheels....steering locks are not that tough, and above all the bike can be lifted between a few people onto a truck all in less that a minute and they are gone...............but the harder you make it the chances will be decreased of it going, as they will move onto the next easier bike....lets face it thieves are spoilt for choice if they want a moto-cy.
Paint it Luminous Pink..and it might be left alone.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » January 15, 2009, 3:33 am

My first impression is that if there is no safe place to park a bike, then the next best thing is to make our bike harder to steal than the next guy;s, but if ther are going to try and rip off things like the mirrors, then you are pretty much at the mercy of fate.

Within our first week in Udon, somebody took my wife's brand new motorbike helmet, leaving a worn out excuse for a helmet. I have locked mine ever since, but one time my wife's sister wore my helmet to school and failed to lock it. You guessed it.

So, I guess there is nothing you can do you walk away from the bike. Its up for grabs. Or at least the accessories are.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » January 15, 2009, 4:51 am

beer monkey wrote:If someone really wants it they will take it, a padlock and chain is ok as long as its chained to something solid and not just round the wheels....steering locks are not that tough, and above all the bike can be lifted between a few people onto a truck all in less that a minute and they are gone...............but the harder you make it the chances will be decreased of it going, as they will move onto the next easier bike....lets face it thieves are spoilt for choice if they want a moto-cy.
Paint it Luminous Pink..and it might be left alone.
You're correct, BM.

Anything that someone really wants is bound to be taken sooner or later. Thieves are basically lazy or they wouldn't be thieves. I give them a few hoops to jump through to discourage them into moving on to another bike.

I always use my front disc lock, and I lock my helmet to the bike.

Return to “Travel & Transport”