Motorcycle insurance/licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
valentine

Post by valentine » August 17, 2006, 7:07 am

In my experience , if its an ex girlfriend, its an ex bike or car whatever :cry: :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 17, 2006, 10:41 am

Renewing the tax and insurance on the m/bike in Phuket is no problem. I just go to the Honda shop where I bought it, with the green book (which is in the ex- GF's name). I renewed it there every year, no problem both when she was a GF and for the last 2 years' when she was an ex GF.

I don't need her to sign off anything, as long as I don't want to sell it or register it up here!

The m/bike is safely stored in Phuket.

The reason I wanted to try and renew it up here, was because it will expire in September, but I probably won't visit again until October or November, so upon arrival will have to get to the Honda shop whilst not taxed or insured!

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 17, 2006, 3:42 pm

Well I just did a late reigtration here on the 150 no problem at all. If you want to change the location to here for the new plates, as that is what happens you may have a problem. If what you are doing is working why bother with it. You can still use the bike here even if the plates are from there. You go there enough to fit the registration process in to your schedule sometimes the best thing to do is just leave well enough alone.

Up to You

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 17, 2006, 4:48 pm

I don't want new plates, or to change the location or registration of the m/bike to here, because it is in Phuket and I want it to stay in Phuket, because I use it when I go to Phuket.

I was only trying to ascertain if I could have renewed the tax and insurance whilst up here, in readiness for my next visit to Phuket, so that I didn't have to waste time or drive uninsured when I get there.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 18, 2006, 10:34 am

Good thought but my experience in doing this here is that they take a scratching from the frame and submit that to DMV with each renewal. But maybe the shop I use is the only one that does that.

Ihave noticed that there is no problem renewing early and they just had another year form the date of expiration.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 22, 2006, 10:49 pm

Coot wrote:Strange,i have Bangkok plates and yet renew my insurance and tax here and have done for years.
:) Just back from BKK.Renewed my car registration with a new ''hitch'' and got some new info.The hitch was:This was my 7th reg. renewal on this car and I had to take it to a special shop to get it checked,167 baht,before they would accept it for new tags.

The info was that I could not pay the tax on a BK car anywhere except in BK.My prior understanding was that I had to go to the same office every year.Not true,I can go to any land transport office in BK province.I had to go to the Sukumvit office,when I transferred the car from my name to my wifes name becuse our condo was on Sukumvit!And that I have to have this car checked every year.I don't know why that conflicts with other poster's experiences.I guess ,because this is Thailand!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 22, 2006, 10:54 pm

what is the check bkkstan , is it the actual car they check over , ie an id check or safety check. and is this happening because of its age ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 22, 2006, 11:51 pm

beer monkey wrote:what is the check bkkstan , is it the actual car they check over , ie an id check or safety check. and is this happening because of its age ?
They actually checked the exhaust emissans,lights,horn,brakes etc.About a 2 min.checkup and another 5 minutes to fill out the form /collect payment.They also provide a service involving all the process,You canavoid going to the LTO yourself and p/u your completed forms the next day.
I don't know for sure,but I definitely felt that you could leave there with everything OK even if some tests were flunked!! :wink:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 23, 2006, 10:57 am

Just back from BKK.Renewed my car registration with a new ''hitch'' and got some new info.The hitch was:This was my 7th reg. renewal on this car and I had to take it to a special shop to get it checked,167 baht,before they would accept it for new tags.
Also, can I just check what you mean by "tags"? Do you mean new tax and insurance discs, as displayed in the front windscreen?

Return to “Travel & Transport”