Driving in Thailand without uk driving licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
macduff
udonmap.com

Driving in Thailand without uk driving licence

Post by macduff » January 17, 2011, 6:39 pm

Is it possible to hire or drive a private car without uk licence to show due to left in uk?
What are the requirements to take thai driving test?

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Driving in Thailand without uk driving licence

Post by maaka » January 18, 2011, 7:43 am

not sure about what requirements one needs for thai licence, but there are threads here somewhere about it.

cant you email the UK Ministry of Transport or whoever holds details of your UK licence, and get them to photocopy the details and send them back via email to you..or perhaps post a couple of passport photos home and get a mate to get you an International Driving Permit, and then post it out to you..only some ideas.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » January 18, 2011, 8:34 am

You'll have a hard time getting a mate to obtain a IDL from the UK.
They will need the driving licence and counterfoil, plus a form of ID, and a couple of passport photos.
The guy in the Post Office, won't give it to you if you and the ID don't match up.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 18, 2011, 8:49 am

Prenders is right, you won't be able to get an IDP unless you apply in preson with your full DL and ID (usually your passport).
If you can not have someone send it to you here in Thailand, I think you'll have a hard time renting a car... plus of course you most likely won't be covered by the insurance, plus you will encounter 'tea money' issues if you can't produce your DL AND IDP if stopped by the poleet.
You could rent a car with driver... that would be safest bet until you get your licence sent over.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » January 18, 2011, 10:41 am

Hi,
mac. To get a Thai D.L. go to the D.L. place about 25K south of Udon on the K.K.. road, highway 2. on the right. Go up the stairs and on the second floor turn right, go through the double doors turn left and the desk is on the right hand side near the bottom. As you have not got your U.K. lic. you will have to do the question test, take a medical, and take a car driving test. You can always hire a pick up from them. I'd rather bring my own. This will take a good part of a day as you also have to watch a long video. and get your photo taken there as they print it directly onto your lic.
Far easier if you have your British lic.. You will only have to do the medical and get your photo taken. Far easier. Best to bring your house book with you.
When i inquired last Nov. was told you can drive on a British Lic, which i showed them, for 12 months. If you leave LOS before 12 months are up, when you return you will be entitled to a further 12 months.If you do not leave LOS wihtin 12 months of arriving you must obtain a Thai lic.
I'd go out there and ask them first, what THEY require. I did it this way a few years ago, got the med. form from them, which must be signed by a doctor, according to the form. Did this at Paolo, cost 100B, and ask they what else is required.ie. photo copies etc. Can do photo copying there. They could of changed rules since i did mine.
If you have not got transport i could give you a lift out there one day, so you can check.
Best to try and get your British lic. as some people have said.
Cheers Doug.
By the way go early as they can get busy some days.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » January 18, 2011, 6:08 pm

"When i inquired last Nov. was told you can drive on a British Lic, which i showed them, for 12 months. If you leave LOS before 12 months are up, when you return you will be entitled to a further 12 months."

You have posted similar information before and both Bob Helm and I pointed out that you are incorrect.

You CAN drive with no licence. However if you want to be legally covered, Thai law states you MUST have an International driving Permit. You will not be covered by insurance otherwise, despite what someone told you.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » January 18, 2011, 7:24 pm

rufus wrote:" Thai law states you MUST have an International driving Permit. You will not be covered by insurance otherwise, despite what someone told you.
And an International Driving Permit is only valid together with a National Driving Licence.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » January 18, 2011, 11:00 pm

Thanks for all your replys.It looks like i'm not going to be driving in thailand this visit.Doug i appreciate your offer of a lift to the centre to sort things out but i wont have time now.I'll have to re arrange things to avoid driving.

I rang the DVLA and they said they wouldn't send a driving licence out the country as it's against the law,but they said they would send by fax confirmation that i had valid licence to a car hire company at a cost of 5 pounds.

So i've come to the conclusion i'm better off bringing my full UK international driving licence and photo card next time.
I'll staple it to my passport

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » January 19, 2011, 6:59 am

Alchai wrote:
rufus wrote:" Thai law states you MUST have an International driving Permit. You will not be covered by insurance otherwise, despite what someone told you.
And an International Driving Permit is only valid together with a National Driving Licence.
Yes, so? I have already said that.

Return to “Travel & Transport”