Taking my Motorcycle over to Laos

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
croc
udonmap.com

Taking my Motorcycle over to Laos

Post by croc » February 9, 2011, 9:44 am

Hello all, can anyone tell me if I can take my MC over to Vientiane and Laos for a Ride.
Have Green Book, Thai Plate & Insurance etc.
I have seen a few Bikes crossing at the bridge, so they are going over there.
Any Advice appreciated.

Croc

marcusb
udonmap.com

Re: Taking my Motorcycle over to Laos

Post by marcusb » February 9, 2011, 10:16 am

It seems to be hit and miss with the friendship bridge. Last time I checked you could come south on the bridge fairly easy but going north was more difficult. Please let us know how it goes if you try the Nong Khai / vientiane route.
I was recently at the Bannakraseng Boundary Post , Thali (just south of Chiang khan) and they said no problem riding into Laos across that border. I am unsure where that leaves you in Laos, they said I could ride all the way to Vientiane but I don't know how or where one crosses the Mekong.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 9, 2011, 10:39 am

Croc, I am guessing here, but understand that to take a car across you have to get a special book (passport for the vehicle) from the Thai Transport Dept office, so I would assume you would need to do the same with a motorbike. I would suggest enquiring at the Transport office in Nong Khai, if that's where your motorbike is registered.

On a side point, Marcus, when I crossed at Tha Li a few years back, I had to get a Lao visa prior to my trip. You couldn't get a "Visa on arrival" there, at that time. I don't know if that is still the case. That is a very remote location and leaves you a great many miles from Vientiane or anywhere.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 9, 2011, 8:26 pm

- check with your thai insurance company about Lao Liability mandatory coverage.. Should be cheap.
- International driver's permit.. don't know if the Lao honor Thai licenses. Per regulation, anyone coming from Lao to Thai used to have to have an international license although it was only selectively enforced. I would imagine the Lao do the same.
- Vehicle Passport definitely required.. Gotta have it and have it stamped out at Thai customs and in at Lao customs. There will be a fee entering Lao for the vehicle but I'm not sure how much...

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » February 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

ask at the bridge if you can ride your motorbike over the bridge. i asked about riding my bicycle across the bridge and was told it is allowed but motorbikes could not be ridden across. this was 4 years ago and have been across the bridge several times, the last november 2009 and never saw a motorbike on the bridge.

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 9, 2011, 10:56 pm

Hy, an agreement between Thai;Laos and Camb. exists that allows any holder of a legal driv.license of one of those three countrys, to use it for travel purpose ; crossing the border etc...
( see all the laos tourists with their left hand drive cars on sundays in Udon?)

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 10, 2011, 7:59 am

from talking with various biker dudes in the region, some have made it across, but in december of last year it was still officially a no no, by thai registered bikes( not other countries) by the Lao authorities at building No. 6....it was the same at the Mukudhan crossing...however I am led to believe the Pakxen crossing on the opposite side of Nong Khai to the friendship bridge, one can cross with a thai rego motorbike...

Return to “Travel & Transport”